Upon Further Review

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not sure I'd call it a whiff. It appears the only NT worth taking before the fourth round was Alim McNeill (based on where he was drafted). I'm not sure how much we valued Bobby Brown, Togiai or Shelvin because we could have taken any of those with our first fourth-round pick. We could have gotten Slaton with our second fourth-round pick. We instead elected to wait until the sixth round to choose Bohanna, selecting him over Tonga and Marvin Wilson. I do think it reflects that we don't value the position enough to invest heavily in it. Frankly, the position appears to be valued less overall in the league, just not as little as we seem to value it.

Yep, that was the whiff. Should have given up a 5th rounder to make sure we got him.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I'm fine with the 3-4 given the roster moves, but not if it means Tank is standing. Ever. I realize the Cowboys will rarely be in base D, but I don't ever want to see that again.
Bingo - I'd rather have Lawrence and Gregory with their hand in the dirt.

kumizi

Reaction score
Going to a 3-4 makes your highest paid and best defensive player way less valuable so I'm not sure I would draw any conclusions yet.

Verdict

Reaction score
Regarding this year's draft, I was one of many who weren't overly thrilled with the draft decisions that were made. But after looking into things more closely, I have changed my mind quite a bit. Hearing Dan Quinn's press conference, I realized that I was under the mistaken impression that the team was drafting for a 4-3 defense when this was not the case.

Initially, I was not a fan of drafting Micah Parsons, given what the team had already put into Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, and the signing of Keanu Neal. But looking at things through that '3-4 lens', the decisions look much smarter.

I also felt that Odighizuwa and Golston were poor choices for 4-3 defensive tackle and defensive end respectively. It turns out that I now think I was wrong, and that both in fact were drafted to be 3-4 defensive ends, a position with far different athletic requirements.

Looking deeper, it looks like the Carlos Watkins and Brent Urban signings were to play 3-4 end as well. The signs were there, but I didn't see them until now. And I actually credit the team for not formally announcing the scheme prior to the draft. They kept that news quiet and did not give opponents the opportunity to assume what players they were looking for. I think that was a smart move, as well as the talk of downgrading players who opted out in 2020. Given who they drafted, that was clearly not the case. I'm giving Jerry credit for throwing that chum in the water as well. I criticize when I feel he gives out to much information, so I give credit where I feel it's due when he slips in some disinformation.

My initial draft grade was a C if I recall correctly. Given what I know now, I will gladly readjust my grade to an A-. Other than the off-the-wall pick of Nahshon Wright, the haul looks much better today.
I am no draft guru, and I don’t spend a lot of time sorting things out on the front end. I am willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt in most years as they seem to do better than average in most years.

Having said that it sort of bothers me that the team seemed to go “off the reservation” on a lot of these picks. That doesn’t mean that they won’t all be all pros. But in the past when the team drafts a bunch of people we haven’t ever heard of, it usually doesn’t end well.

The new buzzword/flavor of the day reminds me a lot of the RKG theme, team captains theme, secret sauce theme, sparq scores theme, backup players theme of 2009, the trade down theme (Barry Switzer draft) and I am sure I am missing some. But I know you guys get the drift.

I get it, taller IS better. But just because a guy has “length” doesn’t mean he can play football.

At this point I love the Parsons pick, provided he can stay healthy.

I don’t like the second round pick in the longer term. I don’t think he will stay focused on football.

I’m neutral on the first two third round picks and I think the last 3rd round pick was a waste of a perfectly good comp pick.

I love the 4th round linebacker pick and the OT pick in the 4th. I don’t think there will be off the field issues with the 4th round OT Ball.

I loved the big fatty pick, but I wish we had been more aggressive about getting a higher rated one in the draft.

I am really warming up the the Nebraska lineman late. We may have found a steal there.

Verdict

Reaction score
Going to a 3-4 makes your highest paid and best defensive player way less valuable so I'm not sure I would draw any conclusions yet.
That’s a good point unless they play him at OLB on early downs.

RS12

Reaction score
Never been a fan of the 3-4. Only seen a handful of coaches really make it work well. Never been a fan of Quinn. Seems to be as good as his talent on the field and no better.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regarding this year's draft, I was one of many who weren't overly thrilled with the draft decisions that were made. But after looking into things more closely, I have changed my mind quite a bit. Hearing Dan Quinn's press conference, I realized that I was under the mistaken impression that the team was drafting for a 4-3 defense when this was not the case.

Initially, I was not a fan of drafting Micah Parsons, given what the team had already put into Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, and the signing of Keanu Neal. But looking at things through that '3-4 lens', the decisions look much smarter.

I also felt that Odighizuwa and Golston were poor choices for 4-3 defensive tackle and defensive end respectively. It turns out that I now think I was wrong, and that both in fact were drafted to be 3-4 defensive ends, a position with far different athletic requirements.

Looking deeper, it looks like the Carlos Watkins and Brent Urban signings were to play 3-4 end as well. The signs were there, but I didn't see them until now. And I actually credit the team for not formally announcing the scheme prior to the draft. They kept that news quiet and did not give opponents the opportunity to assume what players they were looking for. I think that was a smart move, as well as the talk of downgrading players who opted out in 2020. Given who they drafted, that was clearly not the case. I'm giving Jerry credit for throwing that chum in the water as well. I criticize when I feel he gives out to much information, so I give credit where I feel it's due when he slips in some disinformation.

My initial draft grade was a C if I recall correctly. Given what I know now, I will gladly readjust my grade to an A-. Other than the off-the-wall pick of Nahshon Wright, the haul looks much better today.

So it all makes sense since we'll be in a 3-4 maybe 30% of the time, eh?

And 33 people liked this?

My initial draft grade was a C. I've readjusted to a C-.

rambo2

Reaction score
The draft fits what Quinn wants to do. Now it is up to him to make it work. I like it. They also added an offensive lineman with upside and a receiver to give them depth and help on special teams. This draft gives them chance. That is all you can ask for.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It appears they reached for some guys, and had some fall into place. It evened out. It seems like a solid draft. We'll see.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

good stuff being able to change your opinion and perspective. Many people here won’t admit that they changed their minds and will just back themselves into a corner. I agree to me many of the moves make more sense now after the fact

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Nice insight

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I personally won't change my opinions until I actually see the product on the field. The last thing that I will do is change my opinion after someone in the organization talks. They only spew garbage. Let me see it first!
I don't think its about changing your opinion after someone talks....I think at the end of the day it helps knowing how these players will be used in order to see where they were going in the draft. I liked the draft but I gave it a C+ or B-. I liked it I just didn't know how many of these guys would actually make the team. But that was based on me thinking we were going to do something more along the lines of what Maranelli did. And I was wrong there. If I knew they had plans of running a 3-4 defense I would've wanted Parsons over Horn and Surtain. I just see his impact in that type of a defense to be much more impactful then those guys coming out the gate.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I was one of the people who had no issue with the draft. C+ to a B....

But I too was looking at it in the lens of a different scheme.

And yeah we probably should've saw this for them to want to move Neal to linebacker...and then spend so many resources on linebacker and defensive line. I initially thought it was just to replace guys but it may have been strictly addition.

Also makes me feel silly for wanting Horn and Surtain over Parsons......if this was their plan then they HAD to get Parsons. Not sure if that's what they had in mind but to me they had to come out off this with Parsons to come out of here with the most impactful defensive player in this draft.