US state of Education

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I will substitute ‘quality’ for ‘stand’. My personal evaluation has shifted as I have grown older from pieces of paper validating educational level to self-perception of how I see people apply their knowledge in every day activities and endeavors.

For example, computer literacy continues to be low to me. In an age where electronic devices are infused throughout society, use is profound but comprehension is not.

Take a cellphone. A user knows how to use their cell to text, browse the web, etc. However, understanding rudimentary technology that makes it possible to do so is lacking. We are a couple of generations into the computer age and have not, as a society, completely caught up with it on the ground floor.

In answer to the question, I believe the country’s overall quality of applied education hovers around 60%.
Elevated? Definitely and significantly but improvement should not start and stop with those deemed illiterate. The country is filled with the intructional indoctrinated but substandard in using it appropriately in given situations. The old adage book smart/common sense comes easily to mind.
Computers are very easy to understand. It’s nothing but 1’s and 0’s with the value being determined by electricity. Software basically does the rest.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I admire Switzerlands education system ... Its worth reading up on, they also focus on the trades at the secondary level... that's where Canada and the US system is really lacking, education and getting people in the trades.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don’t think the educational system is that bad especially k1-12. Colleges have gotten way out of hand in focusing on maximizing profits. That needs fixed.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
True. Now consider individuals who might read that and say, “Huh?”
Well, for those with scientific minds it’s kinda of a Eureka moment. Because it’s so simple, it allows you to create amazing things.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is true. Overall teacher/student ratios are very imbalanced. I am bias about it. My mother was a long time educator in the K-12 arena, who slowly witnessed the number of students per teacher grow from manageable to difficult. A number of factors created this obstacle for her and many of her peers. The hurdle continues to grow higher. One of many possible solutions is reduction of class size universally.
I don't even think it is a ratio thing......I think it is the agenda

They need to focus on the learning and not the feelings or social engineering

Let kids be kids and keep the adult issues for the parents..... bring back more PE and recess and more RRR

Not everyone should be on a college track and more vocational skills can be helpful once kids reach Jr High

rags747

Reaction score
Agreed, social engineering and feelings and safe spaces are way way out there on college campuses these days. Can only imagine these kids in the work force, they would be your worst enemy.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Two of the biggest mistakes in the educational system are removing vo-tech classes
and replacing Civics with Social Studies. The former tought students a specific trade of choice.
The latter tought students about the three branches of government and how they operated.

Worst of all has been the "no child left behind" carriculum. Students need to be challenged, not coddled.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Agreed about no child left behind.

When I was being “prepped” for standardized testing in HS (TAAS/TAKS for you fellow Texans) it was a complete waste of time, but students in my class really needed it to graduate. I would of rathered learned something then waste a couple of days taking a standardized test that wasn’t meant for me.

I made a 99 in the math section and a 100 in the English, science, and social studies sections and I remember finishing the test in a couple of hours. Most students took all day to finish it.

Two of the biggest mistakes in the educational system are removing vo-tech classes
and replacing Civics with Social Studies. The former tought students a specific trade of choice.
The latter tought students about the three branches of government and how they operated.

Worst of all has been the "no child left behind" carriculum. Students need to be challenged, not coddled.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Moderator Edit: Site Rule #7 - You will not post political discussions or comments

Hi all.

How do you all evaluate the stand of education in the US? Since the college and master degree isnt what people compare to real scientific knowlege.

Do you think the general educational level in the US needs to be elevated or are you satisfied with the uneducated people that populate the US these days

Appreciate your opinion.

I believe media will be the death of this country. (both regular media and social media) Today, people are too mentally weak to make rational decisions and most of that comes from the extreme over-exposure to all sorts of media. People have no idea how to entertain themselves in a constructive way anymore. They are dependent on everything else to entertain them.

So, the state of education is very difficult to gauge because people's education depends on their effort and as stated above. They don't want to work for anything.

People are stupid and it's other people that are making them stupid.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agreed about no child left behind.

When I was being “prepped” for standardized testing in HS (TAAS/TAKS for you fellow Texans) it was a complete waste of time, but students in my class really needed it to graduate. I would of rathered learned something then waste a couple of days taking a standardized test that wasn’t meant for me.

I made a 99 in the math section and a 100 in the English, science, and social studies sections and I remember finishing the test in a couple of hours. Most students took all day to finish it.
And yet you don't know that "would have" is the correct phrase, as opposed to "would of".
Just messing with you...It's a very common mistake, probably due to the sound of the contraction "would've".
:laugh:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Moderator Edit: Site Rule #7 - You will not post political discussions or comments

Hi all.

How do you all evaluate the stand of education in the US? Since the college and master degree isnt what people compare to real scientific knowlege.

Do you think the general educational level in the US needs to be elevated or are you satisfied with the uneducated people that populate the US these days

Appreciate your opinion.
Well, I think we spend more per student than almost any other country.
So the mantra that we don't spend is wrong.

But no, I'm not satisfied.

Xelda

Reaction score
From my observation, fewer people are able to spell or speak correctly. Listening to athletes speak after games can be embarrassing as we hear them butcher the English language. News interviews with the locals make me cringe. The invasiveness of the "f" word over compensates with emotion instead of intellect. On the global scale, we should be ashamed of ourselves. I never enjoyed school, but I did pay attention. I absorbed what was presented to me. I'm not sure teachers are able to control their classes well enough to teach any more. It doesn't look or sound like it.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not everyone should be on a college track and more vocational skills can be helpful once kids reach Jr High

This is what no one talks about that actually needs a lot more focus. Our whole educational system is the same as it was 50 years ago yet our world has changed considerably in the last few decades and the normal ways of doing things need to change to adapt to that.

We live in a country now where to get a college education you either have to go to low-level colleges that will not look very impressive on resumes or you have to go into debt for the next 10-20 years just to get a degree.

In many cases, that degree does nothing for you but maybe open doors to interviews. Even then, only certain degrees matter to employers and to make matters worse, the ones that matter to them change every so often so getting a degree in a high-demand field today may have little demand in 3-4 years or may be saturated by people by then who followed the same path you did.

What we need to be doing is getting young people ready earlier for the real world. We don't have to take away their childhoods or their "fun" but we can replace a lot of worthless crap our educational system subjects kids to in high schools and below with vocational training and then invest in and promote more vocational schools as viable career paths to students after high school.

There is a stigmatism about vocational schools being "less than" college educations and that they only lead to lower paying jobs throughout your life. While college degrees are very important in some fields of course, there are plenty of well paying professional careers that do not care where you got your education as long as you can do the job or are capable of learning the job in a reasonable amount of time.

We need to be supplying kids with multiple paths to success so they can choose what makes them happy while also putting them in a position to have a successful career and life.

The easiest, fastest and cheapest way of doing that is to provide vocational training as part of the high school and below educational process which will expose kids to a variety of possible careers and give them a better idea what they may want to do with their lives. At worst, it gives them ideas for things to fall back on if their post-high school education path does not work out.

Then we need to promote and expand post-high school vocational schools and courses so people of all ages, not just 18 year old kids, can not only learn new careers when the job market changes but also continue their education throughout their lives so they can do more with their lives and continue to go after better paying jobs.

Right now, our whole educational system is the same as it was 50 years ago and the world is a much different place.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
From my observation, fewer people are able to spell or speak correctly. Listening to athletes speak after games can be embarrassing as we hear them butcher the English language. News interviews with the locals make me cringe. The invasiveness of the "f" word over compensates with emotion instead of intellect. On the global scale, we should be ashamed of ourselves. I never enjoyed school, but I did pay attention. I absorbed what was presented to me. I'm not sure teachers are able to control their classes well enough to teach any more. It doesn't look or sound like it.
I think the internet is undoing much of what the teachers do manage to teach. Kids see their idols (for lack of a better word) and want to emulate them.

Also, just reading our own Dallas Cowboys site, it's clear that with the Advent of internet reporting, it's no longer a requirement that proofreading be utilized when writing.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is what no one talks about that actually needs a lot more focus. Our whole educational system is the same as it was 50 years ago yet our world has changed considerably in the last few decades and the normal ways of doing things need to change to adapt to that.

We live in a country now where to get a college education you either have to go to low-level colleges that will not look very impressive on resumes or you have to go into debt for the next 10-20 years just to get a degree.

In many cases, that degree does nothing for you but maybe open doors to interviews. Even then, only certain degrees matter to employers and to make matters worse, the ones that matter to them change every so often so getting a degree in a high-demand field today may have little demand in 3-4 years or may be saturated by people by then who followed the same path you did.

What we need to be doing is getting young people ready earlier for the real world. We don't have to take away their childhoods or their "fun" but we can replace a lot of worthless crap our educational system subjects kids to in high schools and below with vocational training and then invest in and promote more vocational schools as viable career paths to students after high school.

There is a stigmatism about vocational schools being "less than" college educations and that they only lead to lower paying jobs throughout your life. While college degrees are very important in some fields of course, there are plenty of well paying professional careers that do not care where you got your education as long as you can do the job or are capable of learning the job in a reasonable amount of time.

We need to be supplying kids with multiple paths to success so they can choose what makes them happy while also putting them in a position to have a successful career and life.

The easiest, fastest and cheapest way of doing that is to provide vocational training as part of the high school and below educational process which will expose kids to a variety of possible careers and give them a better idea what they may want to do with their lives. At worst, it gives them ideas for things to fall back on if their post-high school education path does not work out.

Then we need to promote and expand post-high school vocational schools and courses so people of all ages, not just 18 year old kids, can not only learn new careers when the job market changes but also continue their education throughout their lives so they can do more with their lives and continue to go after better paying jobs.

Right now, our whole educational system is the same as it was 50 years ago and the world is a much different place.
Well said, from top to bottom.