Using a ‘93 game plan in 2019

Dre11

Reaction score
They have a better OC and HC. Goff is a better passer.

They may, and the HC and OC probably is better than 90% of the league, they also have an overall better team. So what's the point in writing up all that BS.

VABoyz

Reaction score
MAN!! i have been saying this for the past few years...this team to me has been winning IN SPITE of garrett..they win on talent and hardly ever some great game plan or scheme.when was the last time any of us can say wow that was a great play call or plan? Dak and zeke's rookie year we had a top 10 receiver, the best oline , a top 4 running back and a decent , not great D.it was nothing special the offfensive coaches did. we were talented as hell at a lot of positions even witten would still get open frequently. talent only takes u so far but to win big you need coaching and dallas has been wasting the talent with the coaches we have had. its kinda frustrating because i never see the team put in the best position to win. why not be creative? why just stick with your old school ways? this is 2018 and things have changed in the nfl..are they saying that they need all pros on 80% of the roster to win? smh stubborn and ignorance all around.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The defense gave itself away. The Rams said that they knew what our DL was going to be doing pre-snap on 95% of the plays. If you know the left DE is going to be pulling, changing the call at the LOS to run the play at the pulling DE isn't rocket science. Gurley and Anderson averaged over 5 YPC BEFORE first contact. Thats crazy and it happened only a week after we held the #1 rushing offense in the league to 47 yards.

NOT TRUE!!!!!!!! They knew what our dline was doing 90% of the time, get your facts straight buddy!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched the game, Donald wasn't a factor, in fact I listened to Broaddus praise the job Donald did. You said we used a 93 gameplan, when in fact it was the Rams who used a 93 gameplan of running the ball almost exclusively and using playaction. On defense they whip us in the trenches. what you said happened in the game wasn't true except at times using our aggression against us, thats making ish up, It's no secret you hate Garrett and take every opportunity to hammer your narrative .
No I don’t hate Garrett, and I’ve given him credit where it has been earned. He did a good job getting this team on a turnaround this year. I just don’t think he’s a coach that will ever take this team beyond a wild card win. If you’re a Garrett fan, there are things for you to like.

I’m just convinced Garrett has taken this team as far as he can. That’s not hate. That’s just an opinion on where we are with him as our HC.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The measure of intelligence is the ability to change...

Victory comes from finding opportunity in problems...

All war is deception...

Be water my friends...

The ability to adapt is crucial to success.
Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Never rub another man's rhubarb...

Sleep is the best meditation...

There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do?

Dre11

Reaction score
No I don’t hate Garrett, and I’ve given him credit where it has been earned. He did a good job getting this team on a turnaround this year. I just don’t think he’s a coach that will ever take this team beyond a wild card win. If you’re a Garrett fan, there are things for you to like.

I’m just convinced Garrett has taken this team as far as he can. That’s not hate. That’s just an opinion on where we are with him as our HC.

Did you expect this team to beat what probably was the best NFC team in the Rams?

blueblood70

Reaction score
So the Rams Wing Chun-ed the Cowboys arse up n down the field. The biggest disappointment is there were no adjustments made to combat LA's approach.

Still need that additional NT, but these coaches need more than one trick.
what happened tp the rams in the Saints game? I mean Zeke got ripped for only getting under 50Yards against the rams questioned his manhood and why he shouldnt have been picked so high in draft, yet Gurly the very next week had 10, yes 10 yards against the Saints.. Gurly how much does he make a year?

look stuff happens in games and its gets rolling the wrong way..we got beat by 8 points simple as that,those saying its 90s game plan vs a 2019, so thats the best Mcvay has got, beat us horribly sucky worst team on the planet by one score..note excessive sarcasm..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you expect this team to beat what probably was the best NFC team in the Rams?
It wasn’t impossible. Yes they were underdogs. Yes the rams were a better team. Did I think the Cowboys could win? Yes- it was possible. But IMO, they got outcoached. Not out hustled or outclassed. They got owned in the film room.

To his credit, Garrett does a good job of getting his teams to play hard. But in the playoffs that’s not enough. What we get with Garrett has some good. But he’s not good enough to maximize the talent he has. And after 8 full seasons, he’s had enough chances. That’s not hate. That’s just expecting better.

Blackrain

Reaction score
One of the after shocks of the rams loss for me was what I saw when I went back and watched the game again. I usually record all the Cowboys games so I can go back and look at the game when I’m not just into the moment live.

My impression after watching that game again after a couple of weeks of letting it stew, was how badly our team got outcoached. The effort was there. Our guys played hard for a full 60 minutes. Effort wasn’t the problem at all.

DEFENSE
Here’s the obvious kicker- on defense everyone was constantly out of position. They simply used our aggression from our front 7 against us. They DID NOT physically whip us. They just hatched a game plan that took advantage of our tendencies on defense. They came up with a great game plan that didn’t require physical dominance. Let’s call it a “modern” game plan. A 2019 game plan. Lots of deception and finesse.

OFFENSE
Us on offense, it was the exact opposite. Garrett and Linehan offer no wrinkles other than an occasional three TE formation or using Noah Brown as a blocker in short yardage situations. Our offensive game plan was simple- run the ball, physically dominate them. Pass when you’re behind the chains.

Problem is what are you gonna do when Connor Williams and Joe Looney can’t block Aaron Donald? Garret’s Answer: Keep doing it anyway. In fact our game plan looked it was devised for a game in ‘93 when our Cowboys could physically dominate anyone. But it’s 2019 and no team in this league can physically dominate anyone else.

CONCLUSION
We have a lot of talent now on this roster. We aren’t that far away from anyone in this league in the talent dept. But we are way behind in the coaching dept but Jerry apparently isn’t bothered enough by that. We got beat in the film room and rams coaches offices- not on the turf. We rolled out a ‘93 game plan against the best game planner in 2019.

And If we’re ever going to compete for a championship in my lifetime again our 76 year old owner has to understand that Garrett isn’t going to get us to the promised land without a major offensive philosophy change. I’m not holding my breath. His only coaching move appears to hinge on our ability to physically dominate everyone.

SMDH.

Great Post Bullet all true

We went as far as we could with the talent we had on the Oline and Garretts coaching , unfortunately the only thing that will improve is the Oline talent with big Fred coming back and Connor Williams a year stronger maybe a stud TE in FA or draft

The coaching will stay the same and we might make it a bit deeper in the playoffs with added talent provided we are injury free but its hard to believe we can out coach anybody when everyone is real good in the post season . It has just proved itself out too many times as we have watched our team get outcoached in the playoffs

Dre11

Reaction score
It wasn’t impossible. Yes they were underdogs. Yes the rams were a better team. Did I think the Cowboys could win? Yes- it was possible. But IMO, they got outcoached. Not out hustled or outclassed. They got owned in the film room.

To his credit, Garrett does a good job of getting his teams to play hard. But in the playoffs that’s not enough. What we get with Garrett has some good. But he’s not good enough to maximize the talent he has. And after 8 full seasons, he’s had enough chances. That’s not hate. That’s just expecting better.

That's crazy Bob, watch the tape again, they were physically beat up front, that's where the game was won. They ran for 270+ yards. , we missed tackles, took bad angles. Yet it was 3rd and 7 for a chance at another shot to tie.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-eye-what-went-wrong-on-defense

Blackrain

Reaction score

Garrett has a lot of good qualities but gameday coaching just is not his strong suit and if it has gotten better it hasn't been enough to get us past the best teams

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great Post Bullet all true

We went as far as we could with the talent we had on the Oline and Garretts coaching , unfortunately the only thing that will improve is the Oline talent with big Fred coming back and Connor Williams a year stronger maybe a stud TE in FA or draft

The coaching will stay the same and we might make it a bit deeper in the playoffs with added talent provided we are injury free but its hard to believe we can out coach anybody when everyone is real good in the post season . It has just proved itself out too many times as we have watched our team get outcoached in the playoffs
Couch Coach made a great point earlier today in another thread- Jerry has never appropriately valued coaching. Between thinking he could coach the team himself to saying “500 guys could coach this team” in the 90s, Jerry has never seemed to appreciate how much a talented head coach can bring to a team, especially in the playoffs where it matters most.

Dre11

Reaction score
Garrett has a lot of good qualities but gameday coaching just is not his strong suit and if it has gotten better it hasn't been enough to get us past the best teams

Did he coach the game vs the Saints? Or was that another Garrett

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's crazy Bob, watch the tape again, they were physically beat up front, that's where the game was won. They ran for 270+ yards. , we missed tackles, took bad angles. Yet it was 3rd and 7 for a chance at another shot to tie.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-eye-what-went-wrong-on-defense
Yes we missed tackles and took bad angles. But the rams didn’t physically whip us. They just hatched a game plan that took advantage of our aggressive tendencies on defense.

At times, Their OTs acted like they were pass blocking which took advantage of our DEs aggression, creating huge holes to run through. That wasn’t physical dominance, it was smart game planning. The rams coaches came up with a great game plan that didn’t require physical dominance. They saw the Cowboys DLine tendencies and took advantage of it.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes we missed tackles and took bad angles. But the rams didn’t physically whip us. They just hatched a game plan that took advantage of our aggressive tendencies on defense.

At times, Their OTs acted like they were pass blocking which took advantage of our DEs aggression, creating huge holes to run through. That wasn’t physical dominance, it was smart game planning. The rams coaches came up with a great game plan that didn’t require physical dominance. They saw the Cowboys DLine tendencies and took advantage of it.

Lol....Bob every team gameplan tendencies , that's why you watch film, that's what we did to the Saints. Again here's an in game experience

"They dominated us up front and we didn't get any movement," said Elliot of coming up short on fourth down. "They beat us up front and we didn't get any movement, that's it."

"They're a physical football team," said Cowboys head coach Jason of the Rams. "There is a little bit of a misperception of how the Rams play offensive football with the run. They do an outstanding job."

The physical play, on both sides of the ball, allowed the Rams to win without a dynamic passing performance. Jared Goff completed only 15 of 28 passes for 186 yards, and he didn’t throw a touchdown pass. He struggled in the red zone early, failing to get the Rams into the end zone after opening drives of 11 and 16 plays.

Last edited:

RD21

Reaction score
He manages games instead of leading them. He plays “not to lose” instead of playing to win. He seems more worried about losing than determined to win. He looks at crossroads situations more like “how can we safely manage this situation?” instead of “how can we take advantage of this situation?”

In short, Garrett is a manager, not a leader.
All you wanna know about Garrett, is summed up in this concise post.

Mr_437

Reaction score
what happened tp the rams in the Saints game? I mean Zeke got ripped for only getting under 50Yards against the rams questioned his manhood and why he shouldnt have been picked so high in draft, yet Gurly the very next week had 10, yes 10 yards against the Saints.. Gurly how much does he make a year?

look stuff happens in games and its gets rolling the wrong way..we got beat by 8 points simple as that,those saying its 90s game plan vs a 2019, so thats the best Mcvay has got, beat us horribly sucky worst team on the planet by one score..note excessive sarcasm..
Yeah so, actually I was moreso talking about the disappointment in the Defense not making any adjustments.

Zeke was going up against an 8-man front w/ two monsters at DT, so I have no beef with Zeke or the offense in that game cause they were what they were.

I think both sides of the ball failed to make adjustments, and all coaches should have some sort of counter for darn near anything...thats all.