Using a smoker

HungryLion

Reaction score
So, I just recently got a smoker. I have never smoked anything before but wanted to get one and learn.

If anyone has any tips or recipes let me know. Especially for Ribs or pulled pork.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, I just recently got a smoker. I have never smoked anything before but wanted to get one and learn.

If anyone has any tips or recipes let me know. Especially for Ribs or pulled pork.
What kind did you get? I've had all of them except a pellet smoker but if you want a really good guide for smoking, any of Steve Raichlen's books on the subject are the best I've ever seen. The Project Smoke is a really good one. He's kind of the Godfather of grilling/smoking and his PBS cooking show, Project Fire is first rate. That utilizes grills and smokers of every type.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
As cc just said, if theyou get Steve raichlen shows on create tv he has a lot of ideas and recipes as well as in his books.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As cc just said, if theyou get Steve raichlen shows on create tv he has a lot of ideas and recipes as well as in his books.
The man gives me grill envy and while those are sponsors he never mentions the brand name. He'll use the Big Green Egg but use the general term, kamado, for the grilling/smoking. He's used that high end horizontal kamado and that get's me crazy. That's my centerfold of smokers.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
The man gives me grill envy and while those are sponsors he never mentions the brand name. He'll use the Big Green Egg but use the general term, kamado, for the grilling/smoking. He's used that high end horizontal kamado and that get's me crazy. That's my centerfold of smokers.
Yea, I really enjoy his show.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
First things first before we start acting like experts.....:laugh:

He needs to season the new smoker. To do that, run a cycle through it by burning as hot as the temp goes for at least four hours. No food, nothing, just act like there is some food in it and let it go.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He needs to season the new smoker. To do that, run a cycle through it by burning as hot as the temp goes for at least four hours. No food, nothing, just act like there is some food in it and let it go.
And tell his friends that it's pretend food. Just act like they did if they had daughters with those fake ovens.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's one of the problems with a kamado, once you smoke in it, that's it, everything comes off with a smoky flavor because of the absorption of the ceramic. I don't like a smoke flavor on everything and really can't handle heavily smoked meats. When I had a BGE, I had to charcoal with the lid up to try and just get the charcoal smoke flavor and not wood.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's one of the problems with a kamado, once you smoke in it, that's it, everything comes off with a smoky flavor because of the absorption of the ceramic. I don't like a smoke flavor on everything and really can't handle heavily smoked meats. When I had a BGE, I had to charcoal with the lid up to try and just get the charcoal smoke flavor and not wood.

Yea but I like the smoke flavor. If I wanted some food without it, I light up my Weber Smokey Mountain :thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea but I like the smoke flavor. If I wanted some food without it, I light up my Weber Smokey Mountain :thumbup:
That requires two grills and he didn't state what else he has, just got a smoker. I've got a Dyna-Glo gas smoker and Weber gas and charcoal grills. Down here and when I had my BGE in OK, have to take into consideration cooking out under a burn ban which is a lot in this area of Texas. No regular charcoal grills allowed during the ban.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wished you had posted this a little earlier. The best advice anybody can probably provide is the advice on what to buy, before hand. It's all good, we can work around it. Tell me what it is that you want to start with or if you need advice on what to start with, we can have that discussion. Tell me what it is that you bought, what type of smoker, and we can start there. Very different methods depending on what kind of smoker you bought.

:laugh:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

This depends on the smoker. For instances, if it's a porcelain egg type smoker that has a seal. I read that you don't want to do that. The first couple of times, you want to keep it below 400F otherwise you may end up with issues with the seal. At least that is what I read when I got mine. Though, I smoke stuff around 250-275F so. (smoked a brisket this weekend) I intended to make wood fired pizzas in the future and for that, it's best to be 600-700F and the pizza cooks in just a few minutes.

As for wood, get a lot of different types of wood. For chicken, turkey and like meats. Fruit woods are best (apple, cherry, etc). Using hickory, oak, or mesquite do not work well with birds. Pork you can use most woods, though some aren't as good on pork.

While I do like mesquite in some cases. Many people consider it the most acrid of all the smoking woods. It has a strong and distinct flavor. I think there is a time and place for it. If you do use it. Start slow. If you use a lot of mesquite smoke on something. You might come to find it inedible. I have seen it happen. So use caution when you first try mesquite.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This depends on the smoker. For instances, if it's a porcelain egg type smoker that has a seal. I read that you don't want to do that. The first couple of times, you want to keep it below 400F otherwise you may end up with issues with the seal. At least that is what I read when I got mine. Though, I smoke stuff around 250-275F so. (smoked a brisket this weekend) I intended to make wood fired pizzas in the future and for that, it's best to be 600-700F and the pizza cooks in just a few minutes.

As for wood, get a lot of different types of wood. For chicken, turkey and like meats. Fruit woods are best (apple, cherry, etc). Using hickory, oak, or mesquite do not work well with birds. Pork you can use most woods, though some aren't as good on pork.

While I do like mesquite in some cases. Many people consider it the most acrid of all the smoking woods. It has a strong and distinct flavor. I think there is a time and place for it. If you do use it. Start slow. If you use a lot of mesquite smoke on something. You might come to find it inedible. I have seen it happen. So use caution when you first try mesquite.

It does depend on the smoker but I am assuming that he didn’t buy a BGE type for a first timer.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was gonna ask if this was a troll thread to get us all riled up! :lmao2:
That will backfire cuz we'll just turn this into a Smoker Recipes for ourselves.

The best thing I've done on my smokers is Smoked Catfish. Even people who say they don't like catfish love that and the first time I ever had it was in 88 in Memphis. I experimented trying to recreate that and after several attempts got it down.

The marinade: Soy, sesame oil, chopped garlic and ginger. Marinate for 10-15 and flip for another 10-15 and drain and put fresh ground pepper on it. Hot smoke it at 350, no water in the pan if your smoker has one, until it's crispy using pecan. Lay it on the grate so it gets crispy around the edges and dries out. Sprinkle the top with sliced scallions. I usually do trout with nothing but fresh ground pepper and Maldon Smoked Salt to go along with it. I used to do that as appetizers but friends wanted more so that became the meal and that trout makes an incredible salad topping or dip.