Using a smoker

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Smoked my first brisket over the weekend. I made a mistake as I was following the details of some things I read, but my brisket was smaller that most and I over cooked it a bit, but it was still very tasty. It wouldn't have happened if I didn't finishe it overnight. I set the alarm to take it out of the oven at 6am and I more than likely should have done so about 4am.

The good thing is, it seems everything was right except that. Next time, I will just get up earlier and start it in time for dinner rather than start late and take if off in the morning. This way I can monitor the internal temp.

jsb357

Reaction score
keep the smoke to a minimum
little whiffs of smoke are what you want
too much smoke and you'll end up tasting it too much

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Smoked my first brisket over the weekend. I made a mistake as I was following the details of some things I read, but my brisket was smaller that most and I over cooked it a bit, but it was still very tasty. It wouldn't have happened if I didn't finishe it overnight. I set the alarm to take it out of the oven at 6am and I more than likely should have done so about 4am.

The good thing is, it seems everything was right except that. Next time, I will just get up earlier and start it in time for dinner rather than start late and take if off in the morning. This way I can monitor the internal temp.

Did you wrap it in a towel and put in a cooler to rest for a couple of hours? Never slice a brisket fresh out of the smoker.

Anyways, chop up the leftovers and make some BBQ sandwiches :thumbup:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Did you wrap it in a towel and put in a cooler to rest for a couple of hours? Never slice a brisket fresh out of the smoker.

Anyways, chop up the leftovers and make some BBQ sandwiches :thumbup:
Actually, the wife took it out at 6am and she didn't get it in the fridge till I woke up about 7:20am.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Brisket, pork shoulder and ribs, make sure you have the pink butcher paper to wrap it in for the middle cook time and let it sit in a cooler for at least an hour before carving in that same butcher paper.

My problem with brisket is cooking for one. The flats and points are really the right size but not the best for smoking. Aaron Franklin, the Godfather of Brisket, has changed the way it's cooked by the way he preps the fat on it and just uses Dalmatian rub, equal parts salt and pepper. He also cooks it at a higher temp and for less time and it comes out perfect. Most of the Austin pitmasters have adopted his method and the bark is incredible. The key is using that butcher paper and stay away from foil or anything that can seal in moisture and just could on the fat for the moisture along with a spray.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
keep the smoke to a minimum
little whiffs of smoke are what you want
too much smoke and you'll end up tasting it too much
That was my problem with using the Big Green Egg, too much smoke too fast. The meat will begin to absorb smoke at a higher rate in the beginning and after 3 hours, any smoke is wasted, it's done it's work. Man, I've over smoked it so much in the past I had beaver breath for 12 hours.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yes, I use butcher paper. The brisket doesn't need BBQ sauce, but of all BBQ sauces, i prefer the Texas (tangy, not sweet) BBQ sauce.

The only time I use a different BBQ sauce is on baby back ribs. Then I do prefer the sweeter sauce. Though, I'm not big on anything sweet.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I use butcher paper. The brisket doesn't need BBQ sauce, but of all BBQ sauces, i prefer the Texas (tangy, not sweet) BBQ sauce.

The only time I use a different BBQ sauce is on baby back ribs. Then I do prefer the sweeter sauce. Though, I'm not big on anything sweet.
Did you make that sauce I gave you the recipe of yet? You can control the tang and the sweet and the heat.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Personally, I let it rest for at least 3 hours in a cooler, wrapped in foil and towels.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
If you've never smoked anything before I'd start off pretty simple. Ribs are a pretty simple meat to start with on a new smoker, and the 3-2-1 method is pretty full proof. Using either St. Louis or baby back ribs flip them over meat side down. You need to remove the silverskin or the membrane from the back of the ribs first. It can be tricky to get off sometimes, and I've had the best luck starting it with a butter knife until I could grab the membrane with a paper towel, then slowly pull it off. Next you need to apply a rub to the meat. There are hundreds of premixed rubs to be found in spice isle, but it's just as easy to make one on your own out of what you have on hand, and nothing wrong with just salt and pepper. I personally put a tiny dab of yellow mustard down and smear it all over the ribs on both sides. I then liberally apply my rub to both side and let them sit overnight.

Take your ribs out of the fridge a couple of hours before smoking and let them get room temp. Get your smoker hot and smoking at °225. Put the ribs on the smoker meat side up and cook for 3 hours. Remove the ribs from the smoker and wrap them tightly in aluminum foil. Sometimes if I'm sipping a beer I'll throw a splash in the foil before I wrap them up. Place them back in the smoker wrapped for 2 hours more. After 2 hours remove the ribs and unwrap them. Now it's about personal preference. I prefer sauce on my ribs so this is where I heavy sauce them and put them back in the smoker for an hour. If you prefer dry ribs, then skip the sauce but do throw them back in for an hour still. The 3-2-1 is kind of a beginners way to do ribs, but it's always the most full proof for me at least. Lastly when you take the ribs off let them sit for a half hour before cutting them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I was always told to use butcher paper, otherwise you risk the bark getting soggy.

I've never ever used it. But I will tell you this, Brisket comes out and I can cut it with a butter knife. I can shred it with just two forks. Comes out tender and juicy pretty much every time.

If you wanna go with butcher paper, it's all good, I just prefer to take it right out of the smoker, wrap it and get it into the cooler as quickly as possible. So it's already wrapped in foil when it comes off the heat.

Fool around with it, see what works best for you. That's what smoking is all about Brother!

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I was always told to use butcher paper, otherwise you risk the bark getting soggy.

This is the only difference I've noticed when using the Texas crutch. Foil works fine and I used it for years, but butcher paper allows me to form a much better bark. A lot of times I don't wrap briskets at all, but only when time isn't a factor.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never ever used it. But I will tell you this, Brisket comes out and I can cut it with a butter knife. I can shred it with just two forks. Comes out tender and juicy pretty much every time.

If you wanna go with butcher paper, it's all good, I just prefer to take it right out of the smoker, wrap it and get it into the cooler as quickly as possible. So it's already wrapped in foil when it comes off the heat.

Fool around with it, see what works best for you. That's what smoking is all about Brother!
Tried it both ways and I stay away from foil because it steams the meat and the bark is my favorite part. But not everyone has the same favorite part. In the Carolinas, they have Mr. Brown (the outside crusty part) or Mrs. White (the softer juicier part) or mixing the two of pulled pork.

I really wasn't much of a brisket fan until I had the bark done right with what amounts to a soft jerky. I don't care for the interior except on sammiches and I still have to mix in some bark. Which is why I love burnt ends so much. Put some hot sauce on those and I am set.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Tried it both ways and I stay away from foil because it steams the meat and the bark is my favorite part. But not everyone has the same favorite part. In the Carolinas, they have Mr. Brown (the outside crusty part) or Mrs. White (the softer juicier part) or mixing the two of pulled pork.

I really wasn't much of a brisket fan until I had the bark done right with what amounts to a soft jerky. I don't care for the interior except on sammiches and I still have to mix in some bark. Which is why I love burnt ends so much. Put some hot sauce on those and I am set.

I don't love burnt meat so that's why I don't do it. I love it juicy and tender. I also don't use hot sauce. I either use Fresh Green Chile or make my own Red Chile.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't love burnt meat so that's why I don't do it. I love it juicy and tender. I also don't use hot sauce. I either use Fresh Green Chile or make my own Red Chile.
See there, perfect example of someone doing it right, me, and someone doing it wrong, you. :cool:

I can, and do, eat my La. Hot Sauce, prefer Crystal but will take La. and Frank's in a pinch, and eat it on a variety of things including pizza and popcorn but love it on BBQ meats. That's why wings are a food group for me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
See there, perfect example of someone doing it right, me, and someone doing it wrong, you. :cool:

I can, and do, eat my La. Hot Sauce, prefer Crystal but will take La. and Frank's in a pinch, and eat it on a variety of things including pizza and popcorn but love it on BBQ meats. That's why wings are a food group for me.

Well, if you like Fruity jam type stuff on your food, then sure thing. La. Hot Sauce or Tabasco or whatever you prefer is fine. Me, I kinda like a bite so I go another route.

:laugh: