Using a smoker

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I used to always use foil but it had to be tightly wrapped to save the bark. But, I have moved over to butcher paper the last couple of years with no notable differences. Sometimes I don’t wrap at all, just depends.

For briskets, never slice right away and don’t put in a refrigerator just after cooked. The best method is covering with a towel or butcher paper and let it rest in an igloo, no ice. It needs to be at least two hours up to 5 or 6 is fine.

For those who don’t want to make their own rub, Grub Rub is solid, especially on ribs.

https://www.txtraders.com/shop/item.aspx/grub-rub-seasoning-texas-number-1/

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
By Igloo, you're talking about a cooler? I'm guessing that is to conserve the heat as it begins to rest?

I always thought the fridge was to allow the outside portions of the meat / fat to congeal quickly so the more inner juices couldn't seep out. Sort of the same reason you sear a good steak after sous vide.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
By Igloo, you're talking about a cooler? I'm guessing that is to conserve the heat as it begins to rest?

I always thought the fridge was to allow the outside portions of the meat / fat to congeal quickly so the more inner juices couldn't seep out. Sort of the same reason you sear a good steak after sous vide.

Igloo as in any type of empty cooler, no refrigeration of any sort.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The meat, wrapped in butcher paper, resting in the cooler allows it to "relax" and the fibers to soften. You can tell the difference by slicing a brisket with and without that rest.

I added one step to my smoking that has made a noticeable difference in the flavor and texture with any meat, refrigerating with salt at least overnight. That dry brine has the same effect that a wet one has on pork and poultry and a dry brine of salt, pepper and brown sugar on a sizeable filet of salmon for smoking makes a remarkable difference in the texture and that white stuff that seeps out is abated by a dry brine. Just got to remember to rinse it off first.

The trick with steaks is if you don't have at least an hour to salt and pepper it and let it sit in the fridge, you're better off not salting it until right before it hits the grill. I try to let mine sit in there, depending on the thickness, for at least 4 hours. The difference is that the steak is flavored within as well on the outside.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
So, I just recently got a smoker. I have never smoked anything before but wanted to get one and learn.

If anyone has any tips or recipes let me know. Especially for Ribs or pulled pork.

So is it still in the box?:laugh:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
So, I just recently got a smoker. I have never smoked anything before but wanted to get one and learn.

If anyone has any tips or recipes let me know. Especially for Ribs or pulled pork.

For pork, I buy a Boston butt. Apply a nice dry rub to it. Get the smoker going and up to temp. Usually go 250 with Apple wood chunks.

Usually figure and hour to hour and a half per pound.

After the first couple of hours, I spritz with Apple juice probably every 45 minutes. Once it hits its stall (usually around 170 ish), I wrap in tinfoil. My kids are 6,5, and 2. They don’t like bark, so I wrap it... usually with some Apple juice and maybe a bit of brown sugar). Take it up to 203 internal temperature. Remove and put another layer of tinfoil to cover the puncture hole from my thermometer. Let rest for an hour; or if the meal isn’t for several hours.... wrap it further with towels and place on my cooler....can hold temp that way for probably 6-8 hours.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Crap guys. I totally forgot about this thread. Thank you for the responses. My smoker is a masterbuilt pro. It is one that uses propane to generate the heat but obviously I use the wood chips for creating the smoke.

I am a total rookie to smoking and have never done it before. I bought a bag of Mesquite wood chips and used them to “cure” the smoker for a couple hours. But I have yet to cook anything yet.

I have 6 racks of baby back ribs in the freezer I want to smoke.

however, I wonder if I should “practice” first before doing the ribs.

the wife and I also like a nice pork butt to make pulled pork out of. Any tips on time and heat is appreciated.

do you guys marinate the ribs prior to smoking? If so what do you marinate them in? Or does anybody use a nice rub? Or is the smoke flavor enough?

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
First things first before we start acting like experts.....:laugh:

He needs to season the new smoker. To do that, run a cycle through it by burning as hot as the temp goes for at least four hours. No food, nothing, just act like there is some food in it and let it go.

thank you. I took your advice and did this.

HungryLion

Reaction score
My best tip....

ALWAYS SMOKE WITH MESQUITE WOOD

Mesquite has a great flavor and seems to penetrate the meat better than other woods.

Im glad to hear this. Mesquite wood is the first I bought and it’s what I used to “cure” the smoker

HungryLion

Reaction score
I should also note everyone. I used to work in a pork processing plant. I still have friends who work there. As a result I can get ribs, pork butts, and pork loins dirt cheap.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I should also note everyone. I used to work in a pork processing plant. I still have friends who work there. As a result I can get ribs, pork butts, and pork loins dirt cheap.

Do u live in Dallas, asking for my fat friend.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Crap guys. I totally forgot about this thread. Thank you for the responses. My smoker is a masterbuilt pro. It is one that uses propane to generate the heat but obviously I use the wood chips for creating the smoke.

I am a total rookie to smoking and have never done it before. I bought a bag of Mesquite wood chips and used them to “cure” the smoker for a couple hours. But I have yet to cook anything yet.

I have 6 racks of baby back ribs in the freezer I want to smoke.

however, I wonder if I should “practice” first before doing the ribs.

the wife and I also like a nice pork butt to make pulled pork out of. Any tips on time and heat is appreciated.

do you guys marinate the ribs prior to smoking? If so what do you marinate them in? Or does anybody use a nice rub? Or is the smoke flavor enough?

Respond to this in a few days or PM me, will give ya two beginner recipes for ribs and pork butt that is hard to ruin.