UVa lineman coming to Dallas

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Albert's ranking by some of the better prognosticators.

Draft Countdown #8

Kiper #9

Huddle Report #21

Take some time to look around at the other top guys as listed by the huddlereport and most have him going in the top 25 and about half have him a top 15 guy. OG may not be sexy, but he has as good a chance to be a PB type player as just about any player that will be on the board in the 20's.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2029193 said:

Draft Fanatics #8

Kiper #9

Huddle Report #21

Take some time to look around at the other top guys as listed by the huddlereport and most have him going in the top 25 and about half have him a top 15 guy. OG may not be sexy, but he has as good a chance to be a PB type player as just about any player that will be on the board in the 20's.

I hope they're right, and he's gone before we can even think about taking him

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Check out NFLDraftScout's Blocking Grade Percentage

Ben Grubbs - 90.2
Shawn Andrews - 87.3
Justin Blalock - 86.4
Aaron Sears - 83.9
Branden Albert - 83.2

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
tomson75;2029192 said:
He is pretty quick, but while I've watched him play on several occasions, I haven't seen him take any snaps at tackle. I'm not sure any intelligent NFL personnel would take make such a pricey assumption to take him in the top ten...I guess we'll see.

I realize that but he is great value in the second half of the first. He is far and away the best guard in the draft and with the quickness he has he projects to any other position. Of course his first year you stick him at guard.

The thought of Flo - Albert - Gurode - Bigg - Columbo makes me want to drool.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2029193 said:

Draft Countdown #8

Kiper #9

Huddle Report #21

It'd be nice if we could look at their rankings just 3 weeks ago. I know for a fact NFLDC didn't have him that high until Mayock started going off on him.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
theogt;2029214 said:
It'd be nice if we could look at their rankings just 3 weeks ago. I know for a fact NFLDC didn't have him that high until Mayock started going off on him.

NFL Draft Scout probably didn't either. Their current rank: #13 arrow pointing up.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2029222 said:
NFL Draft Scout probably didn't either. Their current rank: #13 arrow pointing up.
They're certainly susceptible in their rankings to the latest fads. I just find it amazing that a guard who didn't perform that spectacular in college (good but not great) could go in the top 15.

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2029196 said:
I hope they're right, and he's gone before we can even think about taking him
I can't believe were even talking about taking him. Are we really going to sign a OL that high when we have Davis and just signed Flozell?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Rawhide Kid;2029253 said:
I can't believe were even talking about taking him. Are we really going to sign a OL that high when we have Davis and just signed Flozell?
If we took him at 22 or 28 he'd be extremely cheap in terms of actual contract size.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
The only way I would want him would be if we traded down into the 2nd and got him there. Kosier is the weak link, but we definately dont need him at 22 or 28.

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
theogt;2029264 said:
If we took him at 22 or 28 he'd be extremely cheap in terms of actual contract size.
I just don't think we are drafting an OL in the first round. JMHO

dmoore

Reaction score
I'm all for bringing him in and getting a good look at the guy. I'd rather not draft an O-Lineman in the 1st round, but if he's at 22 and our scouts think he's the best player available, we need to take him. Never hurt to get more information about a prospect, especially to see how Albert's skills translate to tackle. I don't know why people get so worked up over who they think the Cowboys should take. Sure I have my favorite targets, but unless Dallas makes a huge reach or completely ignores positions of needs, I'm going to trust our scouting department to make the right choices. I think they have a bit more experience than your average fan on a message board.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
The kid projects to be a tackle in the pros....I don't think it would be all that bad a move to draft him if Dallas trades for PacMan and no one else on the board is any better.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2029209 said:
I realize that but he is great value in the second half of the first. He is far and away the best guard in the draft and with the quickness he has he projects to any other position. Of course his first year you stick him at guard.

The thought of Flo - Albert - Gurode - Bigg - Columbo makes me want to drool.
Better enjoy him this upcoming season cuz he's probably not back in '09....

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
theogt;2029168 said:
I'd take him at 28. Reports of him being taken in the top 20 are a bit silly.

The worst case scenario is that Albert is taken by the Steelers at pick 23... if he's still on the board then, you can count on him being snapped up by Pittsburgh... they reportedly want him to replace Alan Faneca...