Van Halen Rumored to Tour With Original Lineup in 2019

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:muttley: Yeah, we definitely disagree. I will match my knowledge of VH with anyone on this board. Your arrogance will get you embarrassed if you wish to challenge me but please be my guest. :thumbup:

You already embarrassed yourself by down playing Anthony. Furthermore it was your Arrogance that started it.

Anthony might never be a Sheenan or Claypool but he was a good basis for what they needed in the band and if you know as much as you claim to know then you would know his backing vocals were a big part of the bands sound.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Heard somewhere that Wolfgang (think that is the sons name) might be working with his own band but I have no true if there is any validity to it.
I would imagine he would want to be on his own with people his own age .

Yes, “Wolfie”... for short. I heard Valerie Bertinelli call him that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yes.
Lack of talent.
Listen to him sing live compared to how he sounds on an album
I've heard his vocal track by itself on Panama and it is outstanding. We don't have to agree, it's all a matter of opinion anyway.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You already embarrassed yourself by down playing Anthony. Furthermore it was your Arrogance that started it.

Anthony might never be a Sheenan or Claypool but he was a good basis for what they needed in the band and if you know as much as you claim to know then you would know his backing vocals were a big part of the bands sound.
Look, your opinion is no better than mine. You are just arrogant enough to think otherwise. There is no embarrassment on my behalf, just because my opinion differs from yours. I just stated an opinion so how is that in any way arrogant? It was you that started with the arrogance as if your opinion is more valid than mine. No, I don't have any appreciation for Michael Anthony's background vocals or his bass playing. IMO, he contributed zero to the band. I've seen them live several times and all he ever did was act like a liquored up fool on stage consuming large quantities of Jack Daniels. If you want to respect that then it's your problem but I'm not going to. Van Halen never sounded better than when Anthony was replaced by Wolf. My opinion, I stand by it and you don't have to like it.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look, your opinion is no better than mine. You are just arrogant enough to think otherwise. There is no embarrassment on my behalf, just because my opinion differs from yours. I just stated an opinion so how is that in any way arrogant? It was you that started with the arrogance as if your opinion is more valid than mine. No, I don't have any appreciation for Michael Anthony's background vocals or his bass playing. IMO, he contributed zero to the band. I've seen them live several times and all he ever did was act like a liquored up fool on stage consuming large quantities of Jack Daniels. If you want to respect that then it's your problem but I'm not going to. Van Halen never sounded better than when Anthony was replaced by Wolf. My opinion, I stand by it and you don't have to like it.

You are entitled to you opinion...no matter how wrong and silly it is.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember when they came out with the last Van Halen CD.
Even though it was old songs basically redone they did completely take out any of Anthony's parts.
Wolfie Played bass.
However you will notice how DLRs vocals are no where near as good as the old days.
One of the main reasons was that lack of Anthony on background vocals.
You will also notice the most recent live videos of VH with DLR and how bad he sounded (not even counting the Jimmy Kimmel one when he had a bloody nose) and it is clear how much Anthony brought to the vocals.
He was underated member of the band.
He was not the flamboyant front man, he was not the super star guitar wiz like eddie and he was not even on the same level of musicianship as Alex on drums. However he was a good bassist and a heck of a background voice for the band.

Hardline

Reaction score
I've heard his vocal track by itself on Panama and it is outstanding. We don't have to agree, it's all a matter of opinion anyway.
Except you heard him after the recording studio doctored his voice.
Listen to him live when his voice can't be filtered.

rynochop

Reaction score
His voice was awful last tour, probably part of why they haven't done anything since...other than they're old guys who probably don't like leaving the house much less spending half the year living in hotels touring.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Go listen to him sing live from the 70s and early 80s he was terrible

Don't have to...…..saw them 6 times from 79-84 and his voice was fine. Not stellar like Mercury or the like but more than fit the bill.

As I mentioned earlier Roth's voice was fine and at least then was in the 3 or so octave range which is more than serviceable but still doesn't compare to people like Mercury and Halford who were in the 4-6 octave range.
http://therangeplace.boards.net/thread/2321/david-lee-roth

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
Don't have to...…..saw them 6 times from 79-84 and his voice was fine. Not stellar like Mercury or the like but more than fit the bill.

As I mentioned earlier Roth's voice was fine and at least then was in the 3 or so octave range which is more than serviceable but still doesn't compare to people like Mercury and Halford who were in the 4-6 octave range.
http://therangeplace.boards.net/thread/2321/david-lee-roth
I like DLR. He is one of my all time favorites and he is good enough for what he does. But without Anthonys harmonies DRL is exposed.
I guess I have a high view of singing voices because I listen to a lot of soprano opera singers in Symphonic metal bands.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I like DLR. He is one of my all time favorites and he is good enough for what he does. But without Anthonys harmonies DRL is exposed.
I guess I have a high view of singing voices because I listen to a lot of soprano opera singers in Symphonic metal bands.

Agreed, his voice is more than good enough but isnt in the top tier. MA contributed a LOT to the high end harmonies as did EVH, matter of factly Ed used to do a lot of the singing before Dave joined.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Except you heard him after the recording studio doctored his voice.
Listen to him live when his voice can't be filtered.
No, it was just raw vocals. No autotune, no doctoring except what the best in studio equipment can reproduce.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
MA is not underrated, my opinion. He is a drunken fool on stage. Not hard to see why a real talent like EVH replaced him. DLR has proven himself to be a jerk and hard to be around in a prolonged fashion. It's no wonder the Van Halen family members don't want to tour. DLR's saving grace is his voice which I agree, he is losing because he doesn't take care of it. But on a good day, DLR is still capable of singing those classic VH hits as no one else can.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
MA is not underrated, my opinion. He is a drunken fool on stage. Not hard to see why a real talent like EVH replaced him. DLR has proven himself to be a jerk and hard to be around in a prolonged fashion. It's no wonder the Van Halen family members don't want to tour. DLR's saving grace is his voice which I agree, he is losing because he doesn't take care of it. But on a good day, DLR is still capable of singing those classic VH hits as no one else can.

Agree to disagree……..
DLR once said Ed without a guitar in his hand was a crummy human being. Sam in so many words has stated the same thing, especially during the substance abuse years{late 90s}. The brothers per se have pretty much ran the band into the ground after Dave split the 1st time, when DLR was at the helm they were a well oiled machine.They almost had the gal from Scandal {Patty Smythe} as a singer, as well as Mitch Malloy. At least 2 stints with Sam as well as the drama with Dave and the almost reunion in the mid 90s.
I love the band but they especially the brothers were dysfunctional.
So many things they could have done last year for the 40th anniversary of the debut album and they did nothing but Ed hawking the usual striped sneakers and his overpriced line of guitars/amps. They don't give 2 flips about the fans and it shows.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Agree to disagree……..
DLR once said Ed without a guitar in his hand was a crummy human being. Sam in so many words has stated the same thing, especially during the substance abuse years{late 90s}. The brothers per se have pretty much ran the band into the ground after Dave split the 1st time, when DLR was at the helm they were a well oiled machine.They almost had the gal from Scandal {Patty Smythe} as a singer, as well as Mitch Malloy. At least 2 stints with Sam as well as the drama with Dave and the almost reunion in the mid 90s.
I love the band but they especially the brothers were dysfunctional.
So many things they could have done last year for the 40th anniversary of the debut album and they did nothing but Ed hawking the usual striped sneakers and his overpriced line of guitars/amps. They don't give 2 flips about the fans and it shows.
I don't disagree with a single word you said there. So where is your disagreement? I never advocated that EVH is a great human being, only a great talent. It's the VH bother's band to run into the ground and I agree they have done so. The missed opportunity to promote the 40th anniversary of their debut album is symptomatic of the brother's dysfunctional band leadership. Great point.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Well you did say Ed replaced him which I take you meant as Ed firing him. Dave left the band, the chemistry turned rotten, the brothers only wanted at the time to do stadium tours. Dave would also go to EVH's studio to record and Ed would never pick up the phone ignoring Dave for w/e reasons. Dave always wanted to keep things "in house, in the band" It was only after Ed snuck away to record with Michael Jackson and Nicolette Larson did Dave do his solo album.
Dave figured at one point it was a horrible situation and decided to leave the sinking ship, no time to drink bad wine or waste your time here on earth.

All of this I have learned of course from interviews and especially from reading Dave's book Crazy from the Heat many times over{which I highly recommend btw} Until Ed gets off his lazy rear and pens his own book, I'll believe Dave.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well you did say Ed replaced him which I take you meant as Ed firing him. Dave left the band, the chemistry turned rotten, the brothers only wanted at the time to do stadium tours. Dave would also go to EVH's studio to record and Ed would never pick up the phone ignoring Dave for w/e reasons. Dave always wanted to keep things "in house, in the band" It was only after Ed snuck away to record with Michael Jackson and Nicolette Larson did Dave do his solo album.
Dave figured at one point it was a horrible situation and decided to leave the sinking ship, no time to drink bad wine or waste your time here on earth.

All of this I have learned of course from interviews and especially from reading Dave's book Crazy from the Heat many times over{which I highly recommend btw} Until Ed gets off his lazy rear and pens his own book, I'll believe Dave.
I did say EVH replaced MA with his son, Wolfgang, but let's look at the timeline of the events you just laid out. All of that occurred way before MA was terminated. Wolfgang didn't join VH until 2006, which by that time EVH had his life more together and was making better decisions. I don't think making VH a family affair was a bad decision. MA was busy working on his own side projects and the communications between EVH and MA was never that great so when it came time to get the band back together after a long hiatus, EVH never bothered to include MA. A jerk move, no doubt but a mistake? No, I don't think so.