Vela blog: "Experts" mock selections for Dallas

Angus

Reaction score
Well, the Scouting Combine gets underway this week, so lets get three-cone-drilled with some various mocks to see what conventional wisdom (and the not-so-conventional) has the Cowboys thinking.

Keep in mind, mock drafting is much like the Wonderlic testing – there’s lots of room for error, and getting 6 right still means you can make millions of dollars from the first round.

1. Mike Florio from profootballtalk.com (who said he doesn’t get mock drafting)

20. Giants: Craig Davis, WR, LSU
21. Broncos: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
22. Cowboys: Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio State
23. Chiefs: Patrick Willis, ILB, Mississippi
24. Patriots (from Seattle): Arron Sears, OT, Tennessee

Notes: Gonzalez is his 6th WR off the board in Round 1. Updated 2/12

2. Ryan McCrystal from DraftAce.com

20. Giants: Darrell Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
21. Broncos: Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia
22. Cowboys: Reggie Nelson, FS, Florida
23. Chiefs: Sidney Rice, WR, S. Carolina
24. Patriots: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

Notes: Indicated that Nelson would be a “steal” at that pick. LaRon Landry is the only safety mocked higher, has Leon Hall and Darrell Revis as cornerbacks already off the board. Has Samson Satele an OG/C from Hawaii in round 2. Updated 2/11

3. Todd McShay from ESPN.com and Scouts, Inc.

20. Giants: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
21. Broncos: Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia
22. Cowboys: Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal
23. Chiefs: Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina
24. Patriots: Jarvis Moss, DE/OLB, Florida

Notes: Calls Nelson “ideal,” but he’s off the board. Indicates a Hughes pick would make the Henry-to-FS move happen. Comments that Hughes was the best cover corner at the Senior Bowl, but has questions about his speed. Updated 2/15.

4. Mel Kiper, Jr. from ESPN.com

20. Giants: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St.
21. Broncos: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
22. Cowboys: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
23. Chiefs: Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas
24. Patriots: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

Notes: Has Meachem listed as his 20th best overall prospect, indicates a fast time at the combine could move him up that list. Updated 1/25

5. Don Banks from Sports Illustrated

20. Giants, Levi Brown, OT, Penn St.
21. Broncos: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
22. Cowboys: Dameyion Hughes, CB, Cal
23. Chiefs: Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina
24. Patriots: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State

Notes: Again mentions Henry to safety. Has the Broncos picking Revis instead of Hughes because of his return ability. Updated 2/16

6. OurLads Scouting Services (no writer attributed)

20. Giants: LaRon Landry, FS, LSU
21. Broncos: Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia
22. Cowboys: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
23. Chiefs: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
24. Patriots: Brandon Siler, LB, Florida

Notes: Has the Cowboys selecting Doug Datish a center/guard from an Ohio State University in the second. Updated 1/29 (post Senior Bowl)

7. Peter Schrager from FOXSports.com

20. Giants: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
22. Cowboys: Justin Blalock, G, Texas
23. Chiefs: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
24. Patriots: Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida

Notes: Calls the Blalock pick “logical.” Updated on 2/16

8. Rob Rang from NFLDraftScout.com

20. Giants: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
21. Broncos: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
22. Cowboys: Brandon Meriweather, S, Tha U (of Miami)
24. Patriots: Anthony Spenser, DE, Purdue

Notes: Calls Meriweather a first-round talent, save for his off-field issues (see below). Updated 2/13

9. Robert Davis of FootballsFuture.com

20. Giants: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
21. Broncos: Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida
22. Cowboys: Justin Blalock, G, Texas
24. Patriots: Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal

Notes: Indicates Blalock would “help immediately.” Has the Cowboys taking Kareem Brown, a DT from Tha U (or as Joe Theisman calls it, “The M”) in round number two. Updated 2/14

10. Brian Tollcot from NFLDaily.com

20. Giants: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
21. Broncos: Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno St.
22. Cowboys: Levi Brown, OT, Penn St.
23. Chiefs: Sydney Rice, WR, South Carolina
24. Patriots: Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal

Notes: Various typos and formatting and capitalization errors make me doubt this site’s reliability. Has the Cowboys taking Eric Wright, a CB from UNLV in the second and Chris Houston another CB from Arkansas in the third. Updated 2/9

11. Great Blue Draft Report

20. Giants: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St.
22. Cowboys: Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina
23. Chiefs: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
24. Patriots: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

Notes: Has Tanard Jackson from Syracuse getting the call in the 2nd. Updated 2/6

12. Frank Coyle of DraftInsiders.com

20. Giants: Michael Griffin, FS, Texas
21. Broncos: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
22. Cowboys: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
23. Chiefs: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
24. Patriots: Brandon Siler, LB, Florida

Notes: Mentions being prepared for a “TO Meltdown” with the Meachem selection. Pegs OT Ryan Harris from Notre Dame in the second. Updated 2/9

So there you go, 12 mocks from around the net. Obviously some are more reliable than others are. I’d dismiss NFLDaily.com almost completely. Profootballtalk.com seemed to be haphazard about it, and didn’t put alot of stock into his own mock draft.

Rather than getting hung up on who they mock the Cowboys to take, look at who’s in that five-player snap shot, and get an idea about the players in that range.

In total, three WR were mocked to the Cowboys, with Meachem appearing on two. Anthony Gonzalez and Sidney Rice were the others. A pair of OL appeared next to Dallas; Justin Blalock on a pair, and Levi Brown on another. Four DB were mocked to Dallas, safeties Nelson and Meriweather and CBs Hughes and Hall.

In our snapshot, there were at total of 60 picks. Robert Meachem was 7 of those spots. So take it that he’s viewed as a 20-24 talent. Same can be said of Hughes (4 of 60), Revis (5), Rice (5), Moss (4). That’s 25 of the 60 on 5 players.

Others, like Anthony Gonzalez, and Arkansas OL Tony Ugoh, and Michael Griffin only showed up once. Meaning someone has probably stretched a little bit – either a reach, or going for the guessing game.

You can also see by the variety of names that people view WR, CB, and S as strong positions. Not so much for RB (1), QB (0), and C (0). Consider that when thinking about letting Gurode walk, or trading Jones, not committing to Romo, etc.

As for Meriweather’s “off-field issues” because that comes up every time you read his name. He was involved in the Miami-FIU brawl the same day as that Holy Cross fight. For his role, he got a one game suspension and wrote an apology letter. He was seen stomping on Florida International players.

His other issue came in July, when he fired a handgun at someone who shot his teammate, Willie Cooper. Here’s more info on that for you to make up your mind:

Meriweather’s gun was registered, and he had a concealed-carry permit. The shooting also happened outside his home at about 6:30 am. He and Cooper said they went outside in reaction to hearing someone, and the shots were fired in return. No charges were filed against him.

I’m not saying he should be a Cowboys pick in the first, but it’s not like he’s PacMan or Lawrence Phillips either.

As we make our way towards April, remember the primary definition of mock: to attack or treat with ridicule, contempt, or derision.

http://theboysblog.com/

jack2

Reaction score
I could see dallas going for a wr in the 1st round, maybe a Cb, but don't think a safety and certainly not an Ol!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would hope Dallas will be looking WR and or OL. I think OL is an area this team needs to get serious about all the skill players out there mean nothing if you don't get the job done up front. As for WR with both Glenn and TO getting up in age this is also an area that should be looked at.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I'd rather go after Dielman or Steinbach in FA than draft an OG in round 1.

If we go WR in round 1 Meacham and Rice are the 2 I would like to see there.

I can't see CB.

FS I can, and if Landry is not there, Nelson is a great choice. I think they'd gamble on Merriweather in a trade down before taking him there.

I can see Levi Brown if he is there. I think he will rise fast at the Combine. So will the OT from Central Michigan (name sescapes me).

My hope if Landry is not there is Patrick Willis.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jack2;1383337 said:
I could see dallas going for a wr in the 1st round, maybe a Cb, but don't think a safety and certainly not an Ol!

I guarantee you if Landry or Nelson are there (22)...we go safety in the first. I'd prefer to see us grab a corner though (if there is any merit to this Henry to FS thing).

I like Watkins, and would like to see him develop, but those two are rare talents. It would be foolish to let them get by us. Why certainly not an OL.? I could see us taking Levi Brown if he falls to 22.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
I really, really don't understand these people that are convinced we're going WR.

I've got to think they're all the same people that believe Owens is gone. Because with Glenn, Owens, and Crayton around....WR is pretty low in the priority list for this year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Anthony Gonzalez in the first would absolutely make me sick.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
theogt;1383378 said:
Ditto that, sir.

Hm, never been referred to as sir before...does have a nice ring to it :laugh2:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Future 585;1383377 said:
Anthony Gonzalez in the first would absolutely make me sick.

In the first, yes.

...but I wouldn't be upset at getting him in the second. IMO, he's going to make a solid pro.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy;1383369 said:
I really, really don't understand these people that are convinced we're going WR.

I've got to think they're all the same people that believe Owens is gone. Because with Glenn, Owens, and Crayton around....WR is pretty low in the priority list for this year.

I think some feel WR because they understand that we have 2 starting WR in their 30's and it will normally take a rookie WR a year before he has an understanding of what it takes to make it at this level. I agree WR in not a top proprity but should one of the top WR fall into our lap with the 21th pick I would have no issue with Dallas taking a WR.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy;1383369 said:

Personally, I hope we don't go WR at all. If that's the case, it could be saying something about our young WR corps...like maybe we've got something special in Hurd or Austin, and we just haven't been witness to it yet. A bit of a reach? Maybe. Too optimistic? Probably. It would be cool though.

The Realist

Reaction score
I think a lot of people get their wish and see a OL/O heavy draft.

One thing we know for sure.....

After suffering at QB for years, JJ is going to do everything he can to protect and groom Romo.

Grubbs in one would not suprise me at all.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Realist;1383423 said:
I think a lot of people get their wish and see a OL/O heavy draft.

One thing we know for sure.....

After suffering at QB for years, JJ is going to do everything he can to protect and groom Romo.

Grubbs in one would not suprise me at all.

I think for Romo and the RB. Dallas has not added any real corner stone on the offensive line in a long time.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
I'm going to get sick if Dallas wastes a pick on safety or WR for the first pick.:bang2:

Dallas doesn't need a freakin safety or a WR... We've got 3 free safeties on the roster. Parrish, Watkins, and Davis. Yeah, yeah, I know Keith Davis can't cover, Parrish was a castaway, and Watkins got toasted a few times causing him to hit the proverbial mental wall last year, but who knows what could happen year to year. With Phillips at the defensive seat, the sky's the limit.

Our starting wide receivers accounted for over 2200 yards, and 19 TDs... I don't see either of them going anywhere either... Yes, there's roster bonuses for Glenn and TO if I'm not mistaken, but I don't think you pitch away that kind of offensive production. Plus, Dallas can afford both of them back. Cap is in good shape. Our WRs are the reason Dallas was the offensive powerhouse last season, not the running game.

Everybody wants the pretty boy... Get the meat grinders.
We could still get Dielman, Steinback (VERY EXPENSIVE), or even Dockery and still get Blalock in the draft... Football is won in the freakin' trenches.

2much2soon

Reaction score
All those prognosticators pointing to a CB is really surprising.
That would be a lot of 1st rounders in the secondary. And no matter how many great players are back there if there is no pass rush they still aren't going to be able to prevent completions.

slick325

Reaction score
Hostile;1383357 said:
I'd rather go after Dielman or Steinbach in FA than draft an OG in round 1.

If we go WR in round 1 Meacham and Rice are the 2 I would like to see there.

I can't see CB.

FS I can, and if Landry is not there, Nelson is a great choice. I think they'd gamble on Merriweather in a trade down before taking him there.

I can see Levi Brown if he is there. I think he will rise fast at the Combine. So will the OT from Central Michigan (name sescapes me).

My hope if Landry is not there is Patrick Willis.

Hos,

I agree with you on addressing RG via free agency. I too wouldn't mind Steinbach, Dielman or even Dockery at RG as opposed to drafting one in the first round. Not addressing that position in free agency would be a huge gamble that we will be able to fill that position in a draft where only one guard even rates as 1st round material. What if Blalock is gone at 22? Then what? Doubt Jerry puts us in that position.

I can't see WR being addressed until round 3 honestly. Meacham and Rice are solid players and may be very good but I just can't see it at #22. Paul Williams from Fresno St., Jacoby Jones from Lane, or Craig Davis from LSU may be available in round 3 and all should be players in the league.

CB is a very real possibility due to the value at the position. I have been pointing that out for a while now and am glad Vela points it out. At #22 the value is at FS and CB in my opinion. Draft a CB and he starts next to Newman for years. Plus, doing this would add years to Henry's career probably. He would be a decent FS.

Sticking with the value theme I can see picking Nelson at 22. Merriweather is going to be a player and trading down could be risky since Philly at 26 would take him to pair with Dawkins since Michael Lewis is a free agent. FS is a definite possibility at #22.

I doubt Levi Brown would be there but he would be a decent pick. The kid from Central Mich. you referred to is Joe Staley and I would love for us to draft him in round 2 if available. Either Staley, Julius Wilson from UAB, or James Marten from BC in round 2 would address the OT position for future years.

My hope is that we re-sign Gurode and Columbo. Sign Dielman as a RG free agent. Then follow a mix of the BPA philosophy and the best value philosophy at 22. I believe that probably will mean we draft a CB and move Henry to FS or take Nelson if he is available. Then I would like us to draft a Tackle in round 2, WR in round 3, DE/OLB in round 4, NT in round 5, Guard in round 6, CB/Punt Retuner in round 7 (someone like Marquice Cole of Northwestern) and another Tackle with the second 7th round pick. That offseason would make me happy.