Vela blog: "Experts" mock selections for Dallas

ghst187

Reaction score
I could see Grubbs in the first
Meachem, Hall, Landry, Nelson, Ross, Moss, Jarrett, Hughes, Lynch, or Brown and maybe Spencer would be acceptable at 22 IMO.
But really none of those are exciting picks. And only a few of them would be a value at that pick.
22 is a really bad spot to pick this year IMO unless some like Jarrett, Ginn, Moss, or Lynch slip bigtime. I think you need to move up to the early teens or back to early round 2 to find value for pick.

The Realist

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1383430 said:
I think for Romo and the RB. Dallas has not added any real corner stone on the offensive line in a long time.

On top of that, Jerry is pissed about not getting more production from FA's and 1st day picks.

I posted a list of what 1 and high 2 OG's have done over the last 10 drafts or so.

Pretty impressive.

We need to be drafting 1st day starters or major production day one.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Chris Houston will go in the first round. Mark it down. A better cover corner than Ahmad Carrol.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think Nelson... if he happens to fall to us would be ideal. He's a rare talent at safety. He moves like a corner and has that God given knack of getting to the ball and creating turnovers. Just like Bob Sanders galvanized the Indy secondary... I could see a guy like Nelson doing the same.

Landry is special too, but I think he just lacks the amazing athleticism of Nelson, although he's probably more well rounded and has more experience.

Either one at 22 would be a gift, but I just think Nelson will end up being a difference maker.

I wouldn't mind Merriweather either. I think he's a very talented guy too... just a notch below the other two guys though.

I like Revis at corner too, if the coaches really think Henry would be good at FS. Personally, I think he'd be great at FS, so if there is a corner who falls some and is a real value at 22, then I think we need to pull the trigger... assuming Landry and Nelson are gone.

As for a guard... I think we need to get Dielman or Steinbach if at all possible and go in another direction come draft day.

I'd be okay with a talented WR, but I'd rather see us go in another direction this year in round one.

Finally, if they think Carpenter/Burnett will be able to fill the spot opposite Ware then great... if they don't, then a player like Moss makes a whole lot of sense. That guy can flat out get after the QB, and we really need that opposite Ware. Imagine what Phillips could do with Ware and a player like Moss.

That's why my dream is to get a very good CB in free agency, move Henry to FS, move Carpenter inside to compete at ILB, and draft a player like Moss who is an excellent edge rusher. That way we upgrade at corner, FS, ILB and SOLB. Phillips could work wonders with a group like that. Nab a guard in free agency and we're good to go.

All that is probably a pipe dream though... even if it is only two free agent signings and our first rounder.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
baj1dallas;1383470 said:
Chris Houston will go in the first round. Mark it down. A better cover corner than Ahmad Carrol.
Not sure that I've seen too many (if any at all) that have Houston going in the first round.

burmafrd

Reaction score
A good Guard in FA and a CB in the first. Move Henry to FS. That plugs the two biggest holes we had this year. Then if Wade can get the pass rush going, we should be set.

Angus

Reaction score
Jeff Ireland is making a list and checking it twice . . . . maybe more.

The Realist

Reaction score
AsthmaField;1383475 said:
I think Nelson... if he happens to fall to us would be ideal. He's a rare talent at safety. He moves like a corner and has that God given knack of getting to the ball and creating turnovers. Just like Bob Sanders galvanized the Indy secondary... I could see a guy like Nelson doing the same.

Landry is special too, but I think he just lacks the amazing athleticism of Nelson, although he's probably more well rounded and has more experience.

Either one at 22 would be a gift, but I just think Nelson will end up being a difference maker.

I wouldn't mind Merriweather either. I think he's a very talented guy too... just a notch below the other two guys though.

I like Revis at corner too, if the coaches really think Henry would be good at FS. Personally, I think he'd be great at FS, so if there is a corner who falls some and is a real value at 22, then I think we need to pull the trigger... assuming Landry and Nelson are gone.

As for a guard... I think we need to get Dielman or Steinbach if at all possible and go in another direction come draft day.

I'd be okay with a talented WR, but I'd rather see us go in another direction this year in round one.

Finally, if they think Carpenter/Burnett will be able to fill the spot opposite Ware then great... if they don't, then a player like Moss makes a whole lot of sense. That guy can flat out get after the QB, and we really need that opposite Ware. Imagine what Phillips could do with Ware and a player like Moss.

That's why my dream is to get a very good CB in free agency, move Henry to FS, move Carpenter inside to compete at ILB, and draft a player like Moss who is an excellent edge rusher. That way we upgrade at corner, FS, ILB and SOLB. Phillips could work wonders with a group like that. Nab a guard in free agency and we're good to go.

All that is probably a pipe dream though... even if it is only two free agent signings and our first rounder.

Don't think you ever see Dallas take a chance on a FS with mental/academic issues like Nelson.

Ireland all but said day 2 last year that teams who take a shot on FS's like that have to have a guy on the other side who can line people up and read offenses.

We clearly don't have that, and that's what he was saying.

Nelson had problems getting into JC (had to redshirt) and Florida.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
1. Mike Florio from profootballtalk.com (who said he doesn’t get mock drafting)

20. Giants: Craig Davis, WR, LSU
21. Broncos: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
22. Cowboys: Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio State

Well, this selection pretty much confirms he doesn't.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The Realist;1383482 said:
Don't think you ever see Dallas take a chance on a FS with mental/academic issues like Nelson.

Ireland all but said day 2 last year that teams who take a shot on FS's like that have to have a guy on the other side who can line people up and read offenses.

We clearly don't have that, and that's what he was saying.

Nelson had problems getting into JC (had to redshirt) and Florida.

I agree with the concept that you'd want a relatively bright player in that spot. However, I wasn't aware that Nelson was looked at as not being bright. If that's the case, then we probably won't take the guy.

He seemed to be in the right spot a lot this season though.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
AsthmaField;1383489 said:
I agree with the concept that you'd want a relatively bright player in that spot. However, I wasn't aware that Nelson was looked at as not being bright. If that's the case, then we probably won't take the guy.

He seemed to be in the right spot a lot this season though.

I think most of us around here could have played FS for Florida.

Their front 7 was amazing.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
GBN's makes me the most happy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I doubt we take an OL at #22 or a FS.
Free safeties' stock have jumped in the past few years so Landry and Nelson will likely be off the boards. And to be quite honest, would they be better in their first year than Watkins in his second?

Add to that the fact that Wade Phillips was brought on board to help the pass rush and if he accomplishes that, it makes a ball-hawking free safety less likely, especially as a first-round pick.

As for OL, unless it's a Joe Thomas or, possibly a Levi Brown, we can select someone who could fall into the rotation or push for a starting spot at the middle or end of the season.

That leaves CB, WR, and NT.

As already noted, we have invested a lot of money in the secondary. However, if Henry moves to free safety it could make CB a likely selection with our first. I just don't see it with all the money we have tied up in the secondary.

I don't know whether a good nose tackle will be there at #22 and we still have Jason Ferguson and isn't Montavious Stanley on the practice squad?

I'm going to say if Ted Ginn Jr. is there we will grab him.
Why?

As stated Terry Glenn and TO are on the wrong side of 30 and we have Crayton, a No. 2 but no burner, and the unproven Miles Austin and Sam Hurd.

There's no need for a wide receiver this year, unless we suffer major injuries. But Glenn can substitute as a punt/kick return while he learns the receiver position. And he has speed that you can't teach.

I think he drops because he's not a polished receiver.

I see the draft going like this:

1st round - WR
2nd round - OT
3rd round - NT
4th round - DE/LB

CoCo

Reaction score
My early feeling is that we indeed do go OG if there is good value at our spot.

You can make a case for being alright another year at WR (give TO, Glenn, Crayton & Miles/Hurd) & FS (Watkins or FA). But there simply isn't any blue chip OG prospect on our team.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
CoCo;1383520 said:
My early feeling is that we indeed do go OG if there is good value at our spot.

You can make a case for being alright another year at WR (give TO, Glenn, Crayton & Miles/Hurd) & FS (Watkins or FA). But there simply isn't any blue chip OG prospect on our team.

This draft appears to be relatively thin for "blue chip" O-lineman though. Chances are good that there will be no options available at 22 that would be that much better than someone we could get in the second or third rounds.

wxcpo

Reaction score
Future 585;1383377 said:
Anthony Gonzalez in the first would absolutely make me sick.

Agree 100% and I am a huge Ohio State fan. I would love ot have Gonzo, but not with the #22 pick in the draft, definitely not worth that high of a pick. Other than Johnson, Ginn and possibly Rice, I don't see another WR I would even bother taking in the 1st. Now Gonzo in the 2nd would not bother me at all.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
if Okoye is on the board and we take a WR....any WR...I will brown stain my pants in disgust.

Okoye is a beast in the making....and he is young, hungry, and very intelligent as well.....a great character guy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Biggems;1383604 said:
if Okoye is on the board and we take a WR....any WR...I will brown stain my pants in disgust.

Okoye is a beast in the making....and he is young, hungry, and very intelligent as well.....a great character guy.

He's the guy I was thinking about if the Cowboys go NT in the first. But he's suppose to be off the boards by then.

dwmyers

Reaction score
The Realist;1383464 said:
On top of that, Jerry is pissed about not getting more production from FA's and 1st day picks.

I posted a list of what 1 and high 2 OG's have done over the last 10 drafts or so.

Pretty impressive..

If you're more interested in Pro bowl appearances than Super Bowls, yes. Because I can't name a single guard who ever led their team to a Super Bowl.

David.