Vela: Part II: Should The Cowboys Take the Rusher or the Corner?

Verdict

Reaction score
Regardless of how we acquire these upgrades, I believe that our needs are Offensive Line (right tackle, and to a lesser extent, guard), a space eating 3-4 HOG of a NT and move Ratliff to DE. Inside Linebacker, and Safety.

I believe that adding an offensive RIGHT tackle would instantly upgrade the line enough to make the line serviceable.

Likewise, I think adding the HOG run stuffing NT would instantly upgrade the defense and would pay instant dividends. Parcells might have not have been right about everything, but if you think back, the one thing he said a 3-4 defense HAD to have was a HOG of a NT that could hold the point of attack and collapse the pocket. He doesn't have to rush the passer ..... his value is holding the point of attack and collapsing the pocket, as well as anchoring against the run.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;3725998 said:
Who knows but we'll definetely be 3-9.

Why be in such a hurry to roll over and spread legs? How would 4-8 fell on Monday morning, huh? Try that one out and see how it feels.

Verdict

Reaction score
wileedog;3725991 said:
But we had much, much stronger needs than a 2nd string TE who was going to be playing behind an extremely durable, future HOFer. Especially with a 2nd round pick.

If you needed a blocking TE you could find one easily later in the draft. Heck we got Phillips in the 6th and the drop off from Bennett to him is not all that great.

I personally would argue that Phillips has demonstrated that he is a better and more dependable player than Bennett.

wileedog

Reaction score
Verdict;3726053 said:
I personally would argue that Phillips has demonstrated that he is a better and more dependable player than Bennett.

I think Bennett is a better blocker, and that's more or less what we ask the 2nd TE to do, especially when the first TE is Romo's BFF.

But I would trade Bennett in a heartbeat and have Phillips take his place without an ounce of ruage.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Newman isn't a free safety.

That move will never happen.

Newman is a pure blue-chip cover CB.

Vela wrote the follow up to this article and made a strong case for the DE.

DereK Sherrod is going to rise, and he will be in play.

If the Patriots can take Jerod Mayo in the top 10, Dallas can take a LT who fits them perfectly in the top 10.

The Dallas scouting department will compare Sherrod to an adequate LT in Free and take him if the opportunity arises, imso.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
41gy#;3726482 said:
Newman isn't a free safety.

That move will never happen.

Newman is a pure blue-chip cover CB.

:laugh1:

.. you know what the term "blue chip" refers to right?

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3725200 said:
lmao you lost all credibility when you said you wanted to draft Barron to play FS LOL. Actually you lost it before that, but that was the icing on the cake.

You're the worst part of boards like this. JeffinDC went through a perfectly reasonable theoretical exercise. What on Earth made you think it would be a good idea to be a jerk about it?

Barron had a miscue or two this season in coverage and probably projects better to SS, but what JeffinDC posted was not absurd. Get over yourself.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
burmafrd;3726047 said:
Look at Phillips. He can do a fine job at TE and where did we get him? Bennett was a wasted high pick. We could have gotten a backup TE at 4th rd or lower.

Just because Phillips is good doesn't mean that excellent tight ends drop from the sky whenever they're drafted. He's good because our scouts found talent and our players and coaches helped it to emerge.

The list of very mediocre mid and late round TEs is very long indeed.

And it's not as though being a "backup" TE in our system means he's not contributing and therefore unimportant. This is guy who's played about 300 snaps this season, more than Barber, Butler, Spears, Brent, Hatcher, and Lee.

A second round pick for a guy with a lot of potential who's playing at a very high level in a blocking role on half of your team's snaps? Sure.

burmafrd

Reaction score
you refuse to see the point: we had needs that could have been adressed wtih that pick. For a perenial backup a second round pick is TOO MUCH.