Vela's Blog - OLB Analysis

Duane

Reaction score
– I pressed him for a little more info on the top four OLB prospects after A.J. Hawk and he gave me this:

* of Chad Greenway, he said, “I don’t think he can play effectively in a 3-4. He can run, but every tackle I saw him make, he was unblocked. There’s a huge difference in watching his tape versus watching A.J. Hawk’s tape. Hawk is throwing people around, getting through guards and getting into the backfield and you don’t see that from Greenway. If you put him in a scheme that protects him, I think he could be sucessful, but not in a 3-4.”
* he thought Kamerion Wimbley might be the most overrated of the bunch, saying he’s wary of players who make a sudden rise in the offseason. He’s doesn’t think Wimbley is a bad player, but he’s surprised to see him rated as high as 12th on some mock draft boards;
* he thinks Manny Lawson can be a good player, but says it’s hard to assess him because he played end opposite Mario Williams. “I tried to track how often Lawson and Williams both got to the quarterback and it’s a lot. But Williams was usually beating double and triple teams and Lawson was beating one guy.” He says Lawson has real speed, but could have a steep learning curve. “Most of the time, he was beating guys with raw speed around the corner,” he said. “That won’t work against NFL tackles. He’ll have to develop some moves to get sacks. I’m not saying Lawson won’t or can’t, but he doesn’t have that repertoire right now.”
* of Bobby Carpenter, he said, “none of the linebackers I’ve seen on tape closes faster from ten yards than this guy.” He also thinks that right now, Carpenter is the best pass rusher of this bunch.

When I pressed him for a prediction on Dallas’ pick, he said OLB remains his top guess, but he won’t discount a defensive back now, simply because that’s where the value is at 18. He thinks teams like San Diego, Kansas City and even New England will take D-backs right after Dallas.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm becoming less enchanted with Lawson.

I've never been big on Wimbley. To me he's a "speed" guy with little else.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Duane * of Bobby Carpenter said:
I agree with that statment, from the highlight cuts I saw, he seems to have that quickness to the QB, that none of the other guys seem to have. Wimbley had some, but Manny Lawson, I have real concerns if he will be a good LB that can take on Blockers ala Ware did.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Me to but I'd like him better in the 22-25 range.

Don't matter where we get him as long as we get him IMO... Hawk is the top LB no doubt (top 5 pick), but if it weren't for Carpenter's leg injury he wouldn't be behind Hawk much at all, maybe even in the top 10. That's why when Carpenter heals, the draft ranking is moot, because Carpenter is going to be that good... I just know it.

:bow:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
aardvark said:
Hawk is the top LB no doubt (top 5 pick), but if it weren't for Carpenter's leg injury he wouldn't be behind Hawk much at all

Oh goodness.

I like Carpenter, but lets get real here.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I'm becoming less enchanted with Lawson.

I've never been big on Wimbley. To me he's a "speed" guy with little else.

I'm slowly starting to get won over by the Carpenter side myself. The more I read as draft day nears, the more I like him. Darnit, time to get a new sig. :mad:

Woods

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'm slowly starting to get won over by the Carpenter side myself. The more I read as draft day nears, the more I like him. Darnit, time to get a new sig. :mad:

Ha ha, I think quite a few of us our now joining the Carpenter bandwagon and slowly getting off the Lawson bandwagon as our first choice at OLB.

I'm still trying to decide between Wimbley and Carpenter, though.

Duane

Reaction score
The thing about Carpenter that I like is that while he might not be a super star we're almost guaranteed to get a solid player for years to come. I hear a lot of Bruski/Vrable comparisons and we couldn't ask for a better complement to Ware than a player like that.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If we think we can get a steady 6-8 sacks and an equal number of pressures a year from Carpenter then I would be very happy indeed. He is the polished product no doubt; experience at a big time program for mulitple years; and is the son of a BP player. Lawson and Wimberly are the potentials; Lawson especially with that height and speed- possibly another Ted Hendricks; batting down balls and using those long arms to grab people. BUT that is potential- have not seenhim do it in college so the question has to be: can he gain enough weight and strength to do it without losing that speed and quickness that he has now?

MiStar

Reaction score
I also wondered why Wimbley wasn't a bigger name before the offseason. I didn't watch FSU very much this year, but the highlight tape that I've seen of him is very impressive. To be honest, I think he's a better prospect on highlight film than Merriman or Ware. However, I agree with his assesment on Carpenter and Lawson, so maybe there is something to his assertion that Wimbley is overrated.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Woods said:
Ha ha, I think quite a few of us our now joining the Carpenter bandwagon and slowly getting off the Lawson bandwagon as our first choice at OLB.

I'm still trying to decide between Wimbley and Carpenter, though.
Why? Sheer fickleness?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Maybe it's because he's not as good a match for our system...
But since he's a great match for our system this can't be the answer. :rolleyes:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt said:
But since he's a great match for our system this can't be the answer. :rolleyes:

You says he is?

I don't follow the point.

If we didn't have Ware you could make an argument for the guy. But we need a "Carl Banks" type and not another "LT" type. Carpenter is much more like Banks. A solid all around LB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You says he is?

I don't follow the point.

If we didn't have Ware you could make an argument for the guy. But we need a "Carl Banks" type and not another "LT" type. Carpenter is much more like Banks. A solid all around LB.
Lawson is strong and can stand up against the run. He's got the speed to be great in coverage and is far and away the best pass-rusher. It's a clear choice at 18 between Carp and Lawson. The only question is whether its more valuable to trade down to get Carp. That may be more valuable, but saying Lawson isn't a good fit here doesn't make sense to me.