Vela's Blog - OLB Analysis

Woods

Reaction score
theogt said:
Why? Sheer fickleness?

Firstly, I still like the player.

But I'm coming to the conclusion that if we are looking to plug someone into the OLB spot from Day 1, Lawson is going to take some time to get comfortable at that position, possibly 1-2 years.

On the other hand, Carpenter should be able to step in much, much sooner. In fact, on Day 1.

That said, Lawson's athletic ability is off the charts. However, I think his adjustment time is going to be longer than a player like Carpenter as well.

I'm not against taking Lawson by any means and will be happy if we draft him. But Carpenter is probably the quicker fix and less of an uncertainty.

I think if Lawson was taking Ware's position, I would be more comfortable with the adjustment period. But I don't think we're permanently moving Ware. That would give us 2 LBs who are trying to get used to their assignments in the 3-4, which could be a recipe for disaster.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Woods said:

But I'm coming to the conclusion that if we are looking to plug someone into the OLB spot from Day 1, Lawson is going to take some time to get comfortable at that position, possibly 1-2 years.

On the other hand, Carpenter should be able to step in much, much sooner. In fact, on Day 1.

That said, Lawson's athletic ability is off the charts. However, I think his adjustment time is going to be longer than a player like Carpenter as well.

I'm not against taking Lawson by any means and will be happy if we draft him. But Carpenter is probably the quicker fix and less of an uncertainty.

I think if Lawson was taking Ware's position, I would be more comfortable with the adjustment period. But I don't think we're permanently moving Ware. That would give us 2 LBs who are trying to get used to their assignments in the 3-4, which could be a recipe for disaster.

Another thing I think the Cowboys could do is draft Wimbley and play him like the Ravens did Suggs. Put him in a lot of obvious pass rush situations and still give Singleton a lot of time on the field. Slowly let him learn the defense until he's getting starter minutes.

It's a tough call, I honestly think I'd be happy with all three.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Woods said:

I agree. Should Dallas get Lawson I would not be disappointed but I think between Lawson and Carpenter I take the true OLB over another project learning a new position and the responsibilities that come with the job. Also as you mentioned having a player currently trying to make the adjustment makes getting Lawson an even more of a gamble

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You look for quick fixes in free agency, not the draft. In the draft, you take the best player.

Woods

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Another thing I think the Cowboys could do is draft Wimbley and play him like the Ravens did Suggs. Put him in a lot of obvious pass rush situations and still give Singleton a lot of time on the field. Slowly let him learn the defense until he's getting starter minutes.

It's a tough call, I honestly think I'd be happy with all three.

Yes, that's also an alternative.

I guess at the end of the day it depends on how easily BP/Ireland believe that Lawson and Wembley can make the transition to OLB. And the main question here would be do they have the necessary instincts? We all know they have the athletic ability.

And with respect to instincts, I have no idea.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
You look for quick fixes in free agency, not the draft. In the draft, you take the best player.

There is no consensus out there saying Lawson is the BPA and in the draft taking the BPA that fits a need make more sense and if you notice every team does it. You expect your #1 to start right away because you don't have the luxury of allowing him to sit behind a vet starter for very long.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The detractors continue to say Carpenter is the most ready to play, but they can't say he is the better player. All the info out on the three, Carpenter is the lowest pick. Even PFWeekly and Kirwan seem to think he is an inside guy in the 3-4. All three players have flaws, but it seems Lawson is the one whose gets pointed out the most and Carpenter's the least.(of the three)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
speedkilz88 said:
The detractors continue to say Carpenter is the most ready to play, but they can't say he is the better player. All the info out on the three, Carpenter is the lowest pick. Even PFWeekly and Kirwan seem to think he is an inside guy in the 3-4. All three players have flaws, but it seems Lawson is the one whose gets pointed out the most and Carpenter's the least.(of the three)

I guess you haven't taken the time to read Vela's blog then...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:

I have nothing aginst Lawson but the fact is he is a DE who has not played LB has not had to cover a TE or back. He has been asked to rush the passer and that is it and the LB spot requires more than just rushing the passer which is why Ware is taking some time to learn the position. I think too many are looking at Lawson strickly from a pass rusher view point but there is more to the position than that even in the 3-4.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Lawson is strong and can stand up against the run. He's got the speed to be great in coverage and is far and away the best pass-rusher. It's a clear choice at 18 between Carp and Lawson. The only question is whether its more valuable to trade down to get Carp. That may be more valuable, but saying Lawson isn't a good fit here doesn't make sense to me.

:lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
There is no consensus out there saying Lawson is the BPA and in the draft taking the BPA that fits a need make more sense and if you notice every team does it. You expect your #1 to start right away because you don't have the luxury of allowing him to sit behind a vet starter for very long.

That's exactly right.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I have nothing aginst Lawson but the fact is he is a DE who has not played LB has not had to cover a TE or back. He has been asked to rush the passer and that is it and the LB spot requires more than just rushing the passer which is why Ware is taking some time to learn the position. I think too many are looking at Lawson strickly from a pass rusher view point but there is more to the position than that even in the 3-4.
The true fact is that Lawson has been used in coverage, he was a LB his first two seasons and covered Heath Miller as a freshman. He also dropped in coverage as a DE.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt said:
Lawson is strong and can stand up against the run. He's got the speed to be great in coverage and is far and away the best pass-rusher. It's a clear choice at 18 between Carp and Lawson. The only question is whether its more valuable to trade down to get Carp. That may be more valuable, but saying Lawson isn't a good fit here doesn't make sense to me.

The speed to be great in coverage? Speed doesn't necessitate coverage ability. If so the BJ Tucker would still be here.

So much of it is instincts and you have a guy that is not use to standing up and playing off the line of scrimmage (he hasn't done so in a couple of years) without his first responsibility being-- rushing the passer.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
The true fact is that Lawson has been in used in coverage, he was a LB his first two seasons and covered Heath Miller as a freshman. He also dropped in coverage as a DE.

As I said if Dallas gets him I'm not going to be disappointed but I don't think he is the better player. I think Lawson is an option for Dallas but not the only option out there.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
speedkilz88 said:
The true fact is that Lawson has been used in coverage, he was a LB his first two seasons and covered Heath Miller as a freshman. He also dropped in coverage as a DE.

You're reaching now.

Just because he can throw a TV dinner into the microwave doesn't make him a chef. ;)

(feel free to use the above quote-- just give me credit- OK? :))

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You're reaching now.

Just because he can throw a TV dinner into the microwave doesn't make him a chef. ;)

But it does increase your Wonderlic score. :laugh2:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
But it does increase your Wonderlic score. :laugh2:

That's very true! I heard Vince Yound didn't know you had to cut the plastic sheet off above the "peas".

burmafrd

Reaction score
point is that he has done some coverage work- that can be looked at in films and studied for hints on his ability.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd said:
point is that he has done some coverage work- that can be looked at in films and studied for hints on his ability.

Now that you've told me that I feel pretty confident in choosing Lawson. ;)

speedkilz88

Reaction score
So why do you gloss over negatives on Carpenter?

PFW, The Way We See It: "Scouts wanted to see him play in the Senior Bowl to answer questions about whether he could cover, but he chose not to play. Can handle simple task like rushing the passer and is used a lot with his hand on the ground to take advantage of his athletic ability and hide his average cover instincts. Scouts like him, but they don't love him and think he will get overdrafted because of his physical ability. Has some versatility and can fit on the strong side in a 4-3 scheme or inside in a 3-4."

Negatives:

"Has too many peaks and valleys in his performance and is not as consistent as he should be. Does not have great change of direction. Can be late to find the ball. Is too analytical and overanalyzes instead of seeing and going. Asks too many questions. "

edit/ Carpenter's **it stinks too. They all have flaws.