Very interesting comments from Stephen Jones during season-ticket call

John813

Reaction score
Wow. Collins out at RT to start. Wonder if that is a sign that they don't trust Green out there or feel hopeful about Cooper at LG?

waving monkey

Reaction score
folks can laugh at the Ivie pick but Ivie doesn't move anything like th GCock.
Ivie is much quicker and as strong. After the pick I spent time watching Ivie's vids
he has the traits Rod is looking for ; high motor ,quicks and strength. excellent 7th rd. pick
Iam surprised at the Collins decision so soon but if Cooper can handle the starting position thats great.

Good stuff thanks Erod

perrykemp

Reaction score
Hope Cooper pans out.

For this to work, he'll need to show something he hasn't show on his last 3 teams.

In Cleveland he was essentially their 5th guard until other players got hurt last year. Ie, they viewed him as the player of last resort.

This article excerpt last year from when they cut him doesn't make him out to be a guy that was once a Top 10 pick.

Cooper was picked up off waivers in October after he was released by the New England Patriots. Before that he was a part of the trade that sent Chandler Jones to the Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals had picked Cooper seventh overall in the 2013 draft, but Cooper has not lived up to his high draft potential.

In Cleveland, Cooper was a low-cost, high-reward pick up that simply did not pan out. He spent most of the season as a backup to guards John Greco and Joel Bitonio. When those players were injured, the Browns turned to Spencer Drangoand Bailey before looking toward Cooper. Being fifth on the depth chart does not bode well for one’s future.

Nonetheless, when Bailey was suspended for a DUI, Cooper got his chance to play. His time on the field was not spectacular in any way. He was not terrible. He was got great. He was a run-of-the-mill player.
The hope here is that the Cowboys system is the perfect system for Cooper and that he can somehow avoid the injuries that have destroyed his career to date.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going to wait until training camp is over to see if the Collins move takes place for real and not just to see if it will work.

I would love it if Cooper turns out to be our Columbo and plays well and Collins goes to the right which in turn should give us some decent depth.

Oh and Rod really was pumped...did a big fist pump when they drafted Ivie.

robjay04

Reaction score
Just confirms that the FO reads this board from time to time. Lots of posters have advocated for the Collins move to tackle for over a year.
Now Jerry, if you're reading this...it's time to retire and move in with GW Bush in Crawford. Fixer Upper can build you a new home and you can become an HGTV star.

Jerry can stick around. I will miss his presence when he's not around anymore.

He seems more humble as he's gotten older. I don't believe any of the picks in this draft were "Jerry picks". If you watch the war room, Stephen works the phones, it's McClay's board...Jerry just kind of sits there. He's doing what an owner is supposed to do.

erod

Reaction score
For this to work, he'll need to show something he hasn't show on his last 3 teams.

In Cleveland he was essentially their 5th guard until other players got hurt last year. Ie, they viewed him as the player of last resort.

This article excerpt last year from when they cut him doesn't make him out to be a guy that was once a Top 10 pick.

Cooper was picked up off waivers in October after he was released by the New England Patriots. Before that he was a part of the trade that sent Chandler Jones to the Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals had picked Cooper seventh overall in the 2013 draft, but Cooper has not lived up to his high draft potential.

In Cleveland, Cooper was a low-cost, high-reward pick up that simply did not pan out. He spent most of the season as a backup to guards John Greco and Joel Bitonio. When those players were injured, the Browns turned to Spencer Drangoand Bailey before looking toward Cooper. Being fifth on the depth chart does not bode well for one’s future.

Nonetheless, when Bailey was suspended for a DUI, Cooper got his chance to play. His time on the field was not spectacular in any way. He was not terrible. He was got great. He was a run-of-the-mill player.

Whether Cooper can play or not, it's still easier to plug that spot than right tackle. Collins might be a better guard than tackle, but he also might be a better tackle than the options at hand.

If Cooper can't play, Looney can fill in. If Collins can't play right tackle, then Dak better be ready to go full Romo back in the day.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it also says it's a lot easier to hide a weakness at guard than at tackle. And if they're going to pay Collins big money one day, it has to be at tackle, so they need to see it. You can't pay all three inside guys like all-pros. I still wish they would have paid Leary. That price was doable.

I'm not crazy about "Byron Bell, right tackle", but I think he did a nice job at left guard in Tennessee. With his size, strengths, and limitations I'd feel better about him backing up inside rather than starting outside. I think the Cooper at guard, Collins at right tackle lineup gets the highest amount of talent on the field. If it works out, we could be looking at something even better than 2016.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think it also says it's a lot easier to hide a weakness at guard than at tackle. And if they're going to pay Collins big money one day, it has to be at tackle, so they need to see it. You can't pay all three inside guys like all-pros. I still wish they would have paid Leary. That price was doable.
Leary got 4 years and 35m... that's awfully rich for your 3rd best interior OL.
Collins may get that same deal at RT and probably deserves it after getting hosed by a murder investigation where he did zero wrong.

But Leary was a good soldier here and you'd have like dot see taken care of in some fashion. Wish him all the best in Denver except giving up 3 sacks when he faces us.

waldoputty

Reaction score
folks can laugh at the Ivie pick but Ivie doesn't move anything like th GCock.
Ivie is much quicker and as strong. After the pick I spent time watching Ivie's vids
he has the Marinelli traits Rod is looking for ; high motor ,quicks and strength. excellent 7th rd. pick

the problem is who you cut - thornton, collins, tcrawford (guaranteed 2017 salary) and paea

_sturt_

Reaction score
Switzer's 40 time is in the 4.5 neighborhood, whereas Lucky's was in the 4.4 neighborhood coming out of school.

Switzer looks more to me like someone who is much more effective north-south where his peripheral vision can guide him through the maze of tacklers... I'm going to have to see him in preseason before I consider him a jet sweep threat of any kind.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It would be awesome if it all works out, however, at this point Cooper is a complete unknown.

He is on his 4th team in 4 years, has been injured beyond all get-out, and has lost a fair amount of this athleticism / flexibility that made his a Top 10 pick.

if he can somehow stay healthy, I think he could be a decent phone-booth type of guard IF the Cowboys thought Collins might be better at RT.
Not really, no.
Dallas had him at the end of last year and word was his strength was returned and was there but his quickness was sapped via injury.
Dallas' staff knows him as he's been here a while so he's not unknown to the coaches.
They had to evaluate him and re-sign him and goodness knows we let plenty of dudes just walk.
We have Looney and other options. We resigned Copper and are giving him first shot at RG for a reason.

ksg811

Reaction score
Cooper at LG gives me no worries at all. Once Tyron and Freddy pancake their assignments, they''ll take care of Cooper's. He's just a road block.

RS12

Reaction score
I agree. The league is almost as starved for OL play as QB play. For Cooper to bounce around like he has, and for Bellichick to dump him during the season says a lot IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The hope here is that the Cowboys system is the perfect system for Cooper and that he can somehow avoid the injuries that have destroyed his career to date.

I'm not sure where your info comes from, but I'll see it and raise you this grade, from Pro Footall Focus:

Right guard: Jonathan Cooper, Cleveland Browns, 84.8

Former first-round pick and reclamation project Jonathan Cooper had an excellent game for Cleveland in his first start for the team. Cooper didn’t allow a single pressure against the Bengals in 34 snaps, nor was he flagged during the game; he also run blocked well, and at least on that evidence, could be a key find for the team.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-best-player-at-every-position-in-nfl-week-14/

Cooper was graded as the best guard in the league for week 14. Not bad for having hardly played and playing right guard instead of his usual left guard spot.

I'm willing to bet that your quotes come from some Cleveland site doing damage control for another stupid move, am I right?

erod

Reaction score
Switzer's 40 time is in the 4.5 neighborhood, whereas Lucky's was in the 4.4 neighborhood coming out of school.

Switzer looks more to me like someone who is much more effective north-south where his peripheral vision can guide him through the maze of tacklers... I'm going to have to see him in preseason before I consider him a jet sweep threat of any kind.

Stephen said Whitehead is fast as a straight-line runner, but he doesn't have the ability to cut like Switzer.