Very interesting comments from Stephen Jones during season-ticket call

waving monkey

Reaction score
of that list likely not a cut. you may see an injury as big dl usually experience that but you could also trade one of those dudes for a late draft pick around cut downs likely.
big, cheap bodies are very in demand.
jterrell of those dt's who would you suspect being trade-able/cut able ?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just a reminder in another thread:

Head coach Jason Garrett said in March that they plan to give La’el Collins a chance to play guard first. Perhaps his college tackle experience makes him an option to move outside at some point.

It is May, though, and plans do change.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Ah, I missed that! I really wanted to at least listen. I guess when you're in the hospital with a broken collarbone and 4 broken ribs (I went full-Romo), you forget about other things. Thanks for posting! Interesting about Collins, and I was kind of hoping they'd try him at tackle.
I guess you had an accident? sorry at any rate ,get well

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched Switzer just destroy Florida State. Caught a million balls for a jillion yards. They couldn't stop him.

Switzer created Mitch Trubisky.

Over 7 catches a game this past year has to catch your attention.

erod

Reaction score
Ah, I missed that! I really wanted to at least listen. I guess when you're in the hospital with a broken collarbone and 4 broken ribs (I went full-Romo), you forget about other things. Thanks for posting! Interesting about Collins, and I was kind of hoping they'd try him at tackle.

I told you to stay out of the bounce house. Those are for kids.

RS12

Reaction score
Remember when AP. Collins made the switch to left tackle as a junior, earning second-team All-SEC accolades from league coaches and posting another 65 knockdown blocks despite missing one game (Furman) due to injury.Collins couldn't play RT in this league?

Good times.
AP. Collins made the switch to left tackle as a junior, earning second-team All-SEC accolades from league coaches and posting another 65 knockdown blocks despite missing one game (Furman) due to injury.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824825/lael-collins

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Jonathan Cooper will start at left guard, and Lael Collins will be the right tackle. He didn't say that flat out, but he definitely implied it. He said they're looking at Collins hard at tackle, and that they had Cooper as a top 10 pick when he came out in the draft, and they think he fits this style.
Hopefully this ends any discussion about Martin moving over to ROT.

perrykemp

Reaction score
He got to play with Joe Thomas but outside of that who else did they have? Leary looked a lot better because of who he played between, now we'll see if he'll be as good in Denver. Not saying Cooper will be great but we need to give him a chance, it sounds like you just want this to fail.

I don't want the Cooper experiment to fail, however, I am also realistic that every team in the league typically has some number of ex 1st-round picks that didn't work out for various reasons with other teams and that failed 1st round picks, especially Top 10 ones, have their tires kicked by just about everyone in the league to see if there is anything is there.

Many/most team have another team's former first round picks as their reclamation project dejour and the fans of those teams always salivate over the idea that their team will finally be the one to unlock the potential everyone saw when that 1st round pick came out in the draft yet who somehow failed to produce.

I get it -- Cooper is that guy for the Cowboys this year. It's worked out before with Mark Columbo. Nothing says it can't happen again. I'm just realistic that he is <likely> the same guy the the last 3 teams (including the hapless Browns) in the last 3 years didn't think was keeping on the roster.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- They will call Tony Romo if something happens to Dak. He said it frankly. He wasn't sure if Romo would be interested, but he had no qualms about calling McManus at CBS and letting him know of their interest. He thought McManus would eat up that kind of attention, too. I was surprised that Stephen was so open about this.
This is exactly what I said long ago :)

perrykemp

Reaction score
AP. Collins made the switch to left tackle as a junior, earning second-team All-SEC accolades from league coaches and posting another 65 knockdown blocks despite missing one game (Furman) due to injury.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824825/lael-collins

I don't think there is any doubt that Collins can be a superior run blocker. He is a beast in the run game.

Isn't his pass blocking the main area of concern? I'm not an expert on OL play, however, I thought his pass blocking as a LG was even considered a bit uneven -- ie he was very raw at pass blocking.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Green's injury history is so bad that no one should pencil him in as a starter unless you have a backup just as good. The big gamble is on Cooper returning to first rd form or close enough.
Trying to be positive but I'm going to miss Ron Leary's mean streak in the middle. Hope Cooper can carry that torch.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Green's injury history is so bad that no one should pencil him in as a starter unless you have a backup just as good. The big gamble is on Cooper returning to first rd form or close enough.
Trying to be positive but I'm going to miss Ron Leary's mean streak in the middle. Hope Cooper can carry that torch.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Every year, Stephen Jones and Brad Sham do a one-hour conference call for season-ticket holders. Always interesting, but this year was especially so. Stephen is more forthcoming these days because of his prominence, I believe.

Among the very interesting points he made:

- Jonathan Cooper will start at left guard, and Lael Collins will be the right tackle. He didn't say that flat out, but he definitely implied it. He said they're looking at Collins hard at tackle, and that they had Cooper as a top 10 pick when he came out in the draft, and they think he fits this style.

- They will call Tony Romo if something happens to Dak. He said it frankly. He wasn't sure if Romo would be interested, but he had no qualms about calling McManus at CBS and letting him know of their interest. He thought McManus would eat up that kind of attention, too. I was surprised that Stephen was so open about this.

- Jaylon Smith's nerve is definitely regenerating. He said there is a tremendous buzz around the practice facilities because it looks like he's going to fully heal in time, maybe this season, and shed the brace altogether.

- Lucky Whitehead might as well pack his bags. Stephen said Ryan Switzer gives them a much shiftier returner, a more polished receiver, and a guy that can run the jet sweeps like Whitehead. He added that they want to package Switzer with Beasley in formations, and that Beasley's size has concerned them in terms of injury potential, so another receiver like him was crucial because he's so important to the offense and Dak. He referenced Edelman and Amendola as an example of how to use them both.

- Rico Gathers is improving. I hope I end up being dreadfully wrong about Gathers, and Stephen said he'd be very surprised if he didn't make the 53. He said he's totally committed to football, which is something they haven't always seen from players switching sports like this. He said Eberflus told him that Gathers was uncoverable in the red zone. Byron Jones can't cover his big frame.

- Ivie was entirely Rod Marinelli's pick. Stephen said that pick made Marinelli more giddy than any of the defensive picks because he loves powerful guys like Ivie that never take off a play.

- They chose Charlton over Watt primarily based on scheme, but they also think Charlton will be more impactful sooner than Watt. He said both have high ceilings, so it was a tough choice.

- He said the draft would probably have to be held at the stadium if the crowd was anything like Philly. The Star couldn't hold that many, he said.
Great stuff! Thx for taking notes and sharing!

- I'm not surprised in the least about Dallas being ready to call Romo if Dak goes down. I was literally talking about that exact situation with a friend yesterday and I thought they would at least try it.

- really surprised SJ would be so blunt about whitehead... kinda wish he wasn't though, I'd like Whitehead and Switzer to believe the job is more up for grabs, get 100% effort.

- I'm really surprised a Bryon Jones not being able to cover Gathers. Say what u want about his overall performance as a FS, but he typically shuts down TEs.

- stop letting Rod make picks.............