Video: Cooley's TD catch with Replay

TEK2000

Reaction score
nyc;1776422 said:
What does that mean? You say a guy that was 15-20 yards away. It was a 19 yard TD. Does that resolve the issue? The back of the endzone was 29 yards away. I think that puts Roy Williams right where he should be to make the play.

Without question, this one is on Roy. Bradie James was playing zone underneath. Roy Williams was playing the deep zone. I'm sure as hell not going to believe the Roy should have been playing the underneath zone and James should have been covering the endzone and it's just plain crazy for someone to actually think it was James' play to make.

Looked like a classic Cover 2 situation just like we had problems with last season... the TE up the seam.

Bradie James didn't get deep enough to get in the passing lane between Cooley and Campbell and Roy wasn't close enough to knock the ball away.

BTW... if Cooley doesn't make the catch.. there is an obvious PI call on Hamlin against Randle El. Looked just like the TD he gave up... didn't even try to defend the reciever... just tried to run into him. *** is he thinking?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Roy was helping "over the top."

It doesn't get much more "over the top" than a guy sprinting downfield on a post pattern.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;1776437 said:
Nothing I say about coverages will change your mind so I won't waste my time or yours. Believe whatever you want. You're going to anyway.

Ok, because you will never convince me considering Roy was playing over the top of James and you cannot go any deeper than the back of the endzone. It was Roy's zone period and he knew it when he started throwing a fit in the endzone after giving it up.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;1776456 said:
Ok, because you will never convince me considering Roy was playing over the top of James and you cannot go any deeper than the back of the endzone. It was Roy's zone period and he knew it when he started throwing a fit in the endzone after giving it up.
Like I said...

khiladi

Reaction score
Hostile;1776389 said:
Don't know how it can be when Roy is in deep contain on the outside and Bradie James chucks him and lets him go.

But oh well, it is what is, yet another lesson in no concept of assignments, just blame the guy who is closest when the play ends.

Oh, and I'm not blaming Bradie James in case anyone wonders.

Bradie chucked him and let him go, because he was watching the fullback coming out of the backfield. He didn't bite on the play-action. The FB than cut outside, and that is when Bradie ran back in coverage.

This is precisely why you play deep-zone. Roy is suppose to be watching what is going on, and there was no reason he shouldn't have seen Cooley, and broke for coverage. What is Roy's assignment in the deep-zone than?

JPM

Reaction score
Hostile;1776437 said:
Nothing I say about coverages will change your mind so I won't waste my time or yours. Believe whatever you want. You're going to anyway.

They always do.

TheCount;1776438 said:
I think it was just a good route against zone defense. The short guy drew Bradie in and Roy seemed to think he would get help on the inside so he played deep to stop anything over the top.

You can see that the guy running the short out already had a guy on him but Bradie still goes with him, leaving the middle wide open.

I think they were both at fault, Roy put himself completely out of position by commiting to the outside and Bradie went with a guy that was not only running a short route (instead of a guy that was running to the endzone) but was already well covered.

1 good post, 2 good posts ! "AH HA HA HA HA!"

khiladi

Reaction score
theogt;1776455 said:

It doesn't get much more "over the top" than a guy sprinting downfield on a post pattern.

Exactly... Roy is suppose to help over the top, and he clearly didn't...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TEK2000;1776454 said:
Looked like a classic Cover 2 situation just like we had problems with last season... the TE up the seam.

theogt;1776455 said:

Exactly. No matter what, it was Roy's job to protect over the top and he failed. Everyone can try and sugar coat it all they want, but Roy had coverage over the top (that why he is called a SAFETY) and he failed to do his job.

As someone else noted though, Hamlin gave the Commanders a safety too, by commiting that stupid penalty. Even if the TD wasn't made, they would have still had a first down to keep trying.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1776455 said:

It sure looked embarassing.

I won't pretend to know the coverage, but I see no reason for Roy to have turned his back to Campbell.

Bull Frog

Reaction score
TEK2000;1776454 said:

Bradie James didn't get deep enough to get in the passing lane between Cooley and Campbell and Roy wasn't close enough to knock the ball away.

BTW... if Cooley doesn't make the catch.. there is an obvious PI call on Hamlin against Randle El. Looked just like the TD he gave up... didn't even try to defend the reciever... just tried to run into him. *** is he thinking?
I was going to say the same thing. Look at the middle of the field. Ayodele is out of the picture and outside the hash marks. James bumbs Cooley then drifts outside. Both Cooley and Randle El start outside then circle in behind the LB's. Later on the Moss TD, Burnett drifts outside and Moss circles back in past Hamlin. In both instances if the LB's do not drift outside they would've occupied the passing lanes making if difficult to throw over them. How do we fix the LB zone coverage? Wade said something about soft coverage and he will fix it. I hope so, because it's killing us.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
YoMick;1776370 said:
In other words.... "another beat Roy down" thread.....
I like Roy, but it's becoming obvious that teams are looking for Roy in coverage. Any team with a 1/2 decent TE can exploit Roy.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;1776455 said:

The problem is that the pass wasn't over the top, it was to the inside. It very hard to defend that kind of throw, on your own, from behind a guy. Witten has been doing that to guys all season.

Once again, I'm not defending Roy, but I don't feel it's as black and white as some of you guys are trying to make it seem.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;1776511 said:
The problem is that the pass wasn't over the top, it was to the inside. It very hard to defend that kind of throw, on your own, from behind a guy. Witten has been doing that to guys all season.
I agree that it was a perfect throw on a perfect route for that coverage. But it was obviously "on Roy."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1776512 said:
Roy leaned the wrong way and Brady didn't go deep enough in his zone.
I know this.

I'm done trying to describe coverage schemes to guys who think the guy closest at the end of a play must have been the guy who was supposed to have been there in coverage.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Well whether it's Bradie's or Roy's man on that play, it's obvious that after all this time they've been playing together they still haven't got it, how to stop that play or similar plays!:(

khiladi

Reaction score
Bradie didn't get deep enough, because of the PLAY-ACTION. The point is Bradie saw the back coming through the middle, and he had to break containment of Cooley for the deep zone, to cover the back. The probem was the back ran to the outside, so he became the OLBs responsibility.

Roy totally got abused on that play. That was in NO WAY Bradie James fault. Roy had his eyes on Cooley the whole time after Bradie left him for covering the back. Cooley simply turned because Roy got his hips caugth towards the sidelines and was back-peddling. Cooley made a simply break to the inside, and scored an easy TD.

The point is the bread-and-butter of the Commanders are short passes, and play-action. It is obvious that the Dallas defense would key-in to stop the run, and look for the passes to Portis. James was doing just fine on that play. The Commanders drew up a ncie call, but that coverage by Roy stunk garbage.

joseephuss

Reaction score
khiladi;1776531 said:
Bradie didn't get deep enough, because of the PLAY-ACTION. The point is Bradie saw the back coming through the middle, and he had to break containment of Cooley for the deep zone, to cover the back. The probem was the back ran to the outside, so he became the OLBs responsibility.

Roy totally got abused on that play. That was in NO WAY Bradie James fault. Roy had his eyes on Cooley the whole time after Bradie left him for covering the back. Cooley simply turned because Roy got his hips caugth towards the sidelines and was back-peddling. Cooley made a simply break to the inside, and scored an easy TD.

The point is the bread-and-butter of the Commanders are short passes, and play-action. It is obvious that the Dallas defense would key-in to stop the run, and look for the passes to Portis. James was doing just fine on that play. The Commanders drew up a ncie call, but that coverage by Roy stunk garbage.

If it is a zone, Bradie the ILB is not responsible for going to the outside with the back. That is the corner's job. The corner is supposed to chuck his receiver and then remain underneath on the outside. None of that excuses Roy for biting on a quick outside fake by Cooley. It just shows that James did not do his job, either.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
khiladi;1776531 said:

So Bradie being fooled by play action isn't an issue?

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
khiladi;1776531 said:

Well the DE has the back out of the backfield and Bradie bumps Cooley and stands and looks around, Roy sees Cooley coming looks and decides to run at him when it's too late! Not good from start to finish! Do they ever communicate about this situation, who's gonna take the TE when he runs up the hash marks! Either the LB runs down the field with him or the SS steps up and takes the coverage duty. Everyone talks about how "complex" these coverage schemes are but when a play or plays is broken down it looks pretty simple in common sense to me and not difficult at all to understand.