Video: Cooley's TD catch with Replay

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1776715 said:
That doesn't make sense. If he was waiting for the runningback to go inside, why stay so close to the line? Why not wait in the intermediate middle (his zone) and wait for the runningback to come to him? Instead, he chooses to allow a huge hole in the middle with Cooley running full speed into it. He should get into his zone first and foremost and worry about stopping a runningback catching the 5 yard pass when he comes into his zone.
He means that Bradie was waiting to see if Portis cut to the defensive left, at which point he would have been wide open (or at least Ware would have been chasing him from behind).

If Bradie's responsibility was to cover the mid-to-deep middle of the field, then Portis shouldn't have even come into that equation.

khiladi

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1776715 said:
That doesn't make sense. If he was waiting for the runningback to go inside, why stay so close to the line? Why not wait in the intermediate middle (his zone) and wait for the runningback to come to him? Instead, he chooses to allow a huge hole in the middle with Cooley running full speed into it. He should get into his zone first and foremost and worry about stopping a runningback catching the 5 yard pass when he comes into his zone.

He hit Cooley at the 15 yard line, and left him for Roy who was at the ten. The Commanders were at around the 20, so Bradie's positioning was fine.

The fact is the responsibility of the Dallas front-line was to key in on the run and short passes, which is the Commanders bread and butter. The point is Bradie left Cooley at a point where Roy would make the play, so he could contain Portis if he broke inside.

Roy did not make the play, because Roy's hips were turned outside, and Cooley simply broke inside.

I liek Roy, but it is always at the expense on his teammates that people defend him. Even here, we are talking about Bradie James, when Bradie is clearly the player that has shown obvious improvements in play from last year.

TVMan

Reaction score
khiladi;1776721 said:
Actually, your full of it. Roy is at the 10 yard line, and Bradie hits Cooley at the 15 yard line. Do the math, instead of making such subjective statements in the context of definitiveness.

Considering they were also playing soft-zone and key-ing in on Portis, Bradie did just fine.

Actually, before the snap, Roy was at the 10. He started back peddling at the snap, which put him closer to the goal line.

Either way, Cooley was all alone between Bradie and Roy.

khiladi

Reaction score
TVMan;1776736 said:
Actually, before the snap, Roy was at the 10. He started back peddling at the snap, which put him closer to the goal line.

The fact of Bradie is irrelevant to Roy clearly having an oppurtunity to make a play on Cooley, and Roy knowing.

Look at the replay from the angle of Jason Campbell. It wasn't even an issue of Roy NOT knowing. Roy sees Cooley go behind Bradie, after James left him. Roy runs towards Chris, but has his hips to the sidelines.

Poor hip alignment, and it seems Roy was looking to the defensive right of the field also, worrying about what is not his responsibility at the time. I don't know if he's hesitating, but he needs to lose weight. I say the latter part a hundred times. His positioning on coverage is just awkward.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
TVMan;1776736 said:

They were playing cover 2 and it was Roy's responsibility to not let anyone make a play in his zone and look at what he did..

overall he wasn't the only one playing poorly in this game but he is the one that is consistently getting beat 4 or 5 times a game

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
khiladi;1776721 said:
Actually, your full of it. Roy is at the 10 yard line, and Bradie hits Cooley at the 15 yard line. Do the math, instead of making such subjective statements in the context of definitiveness.

Considering they were also playing soft-zone and key-ing in on Portis, Bradie did just fine.

Wow.

Either you're incredibly IGNORANT (to put it nicely) or you actually think you can make people believe your flat out LIES.

Khiladi is basically trying to convince everyone in this thread that morris the cat was actually a dog.

James CLEARLY didn't do his job on the play. CLEARLY to anyone with half an ounce (at least) of football knowledge.

You're basically saying it's better to let Cooley get deep and to cover Portis short then to take away the deep ball and come up to make a tackle on the short pass.

"Hey Brady, don't worry about Cooley running right by you towards the endzone, you may have a 2 yard curl to defend!"

:rolleyes:

There are ignorant people, and then there are ignorant people that just refuse to learn.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I simply find it hard to believe that we would have no one at least close to the middle of the field. I already said that Roy is at fault, but also put it on Brady as well. He bumped Cooley but then went after the runningback. By that time, Ware is already covering Portis and if Portis cut it back inside Brady would have been in a better position to stop him had he been near the middle of the field because he would be trailing Portis himself otherwise. The way Brady played, Cooley could have easily run a drag route and been completely uncovered with just as likely chance to score because there was no one in the middle and he wouldn't be in Roy's zone.

TVMan

Reaction score
94WARE94;1776769 said:
They were playing cover 2

Well, Duh.

and it was Roy's responsibility to not let anyone make a play in his zone and look at what he did..
I'm sure you checked with Wade on this.

overall he wasn't the only one playing poorly in this game but he is the one that is consistently getting beat 4 or 5 times a game
Trying to think of a better word than stupid, but I can't.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
khiladi;1776760 said:
The fact of Bradie is irrelevant to Roy clearly having an oppurtunity to make a play on Cooley, and Roy knowing.
Roy runs towards Chris, but has his hips to the sidelines.

I agree with this, but also see that before Cooley gets past Brady, Roy is already turned that way. After Chris gets past Brady, he fakes like he is going outside but then cuts it back in.

Now what follows is what I blame Roy for. He doesn't seem to react to Cooley when it is sure that he is going to the middle. It almost looks like he is watching something else and is expeecting help in the middle from a linebacker or Hamlin. Since I don't know for sure, I blame Roy because it just looks like he let him go.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
khiladi;1776629 said:
And we all know that they were playing soft-zone, precisely to target Portis... Bradie did his responsibility, Roy did not...

Speak for yourself, I don't know that. I don't know anything but what I saw on the replay. How do you figure the entire point of that defensive set was to target Portis?

vlad

Reaction score
Hostile;1776389 said:
Don't know how it can be when Roy is in deep contain on the outside and Bradie James chucks him and lets him go.

But oh well, it is what is, yet another lesson in no concept of assignments, just blame the guy who is closest when the play ends.

Oh, and I'm not blaming Bradie James in case anyone wonders.

What would make you think he has deep contain on the outside when a TE is running up the seam after correctly getting chucked off his route by James? You can't be serious? We may be two arm-chair QBs, but one real QB just broke it down, and this is happening week after week. There is NOTHING on that play that should have caused Roy to turn his hips outside and blindly let the middle part like the red sea.

I used to be a big RW fan, but he lost my respect year after year when blaming other players for his mistakes. EVEN if it weren't his mistake, how is the world can a "leader" start finger pointing the fraction of a second after the ball breaks the end zone...come on, that's so weak.

If you guys can't see, week after week that he is being targeted, I don't know what to tell you...I guess Eli Manning didn't even know his own game plan when they specifically said they gamed planned to isolate Roy. He has gone from a playmaker, and a great one, to a complete liability. He can't blitz for crap, shoulders no blame, and gets burned weekly.

I wonder what the other guys on D think of him and his finger-pointing ways? I really thought Roy was going to slim down in his legs and look more like the rookie year RW that caused havoc...that player is gone.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
vlad;1776864 said:
What would make you think he has deep contain on the outside when a TE is running up the seam after correctly getting chucked off his route by James? You can't be serious? We may be two arm-chair QBs, but one real QB just broke it down, and this is happening week after week. There is NOTHING on that play that should have caused Roy to turn his hips outside and blindly let the middle part like the red sea.

I used to be a big RW fan, but he lost my respect year after year when blaming other players for his mistakes. EVEN if it weren't his mistake, how is the world can a "leader" start finger pointing the fraction of a second after the ball breaks the end zone...come on, that's so weak.

If you guys can't see, week after week that he is being targeted, I don't know what to tell you...I guess Eli Manning didn't even know his own game plan when they specifically said they gamed planned to isolate Roy. He has gone from a playmaker, and a great one, to a complete liability. He can't blitz for crap, shoulders no blame, and gets burned weekly.

I wonder what the other guys on D think of him and his finger-pointing ways? I really thought Roy was going to slim down in his legs and look more like the rookie year RW that caused havoc...that player is gone.
Where everyone is lined up pre-snap. It's pretty obvious to me that the assignment is to be CB in the intermediate Zone and Roy on outside deep. The receiver who ends up catching the ball runs right to the guy who is assigned to him, and he was released. As is pointed out it's because James reads Portis underneath. That's a good read on his part.

Whereas some are putting all of this on James and others are putting all of this on Roy I remain rooted to the fact that sometimes an offensive play works because it is a smart call and is executed well.

I refuse to stand a ledge and threaten to jump.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
joseephuss;1776396 said:
Was that the Randel El catch? It hit the ground from what I could see. The Skins got the next play off before the refs upstairs could stop it. I don't know what replay they were watching, but they were obviously slow. Even if it was a catch, it was close enough to deserve a review in my opinion.

I saw that too, when they showed the replay on FOX you could clearly see the ball hit the ground.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I agree with Hostile, it was a good offensive play, just like we burnt them for later in the game.

I do however fault both Roy and James; James for trying to stop the 5 yard pass rather than going to the middle which was completely uncovered and Roy for allowing Cooley to catch the pass when it was obvious he was getting the ball.

I agree with Aikman this week that Roy was at fault (and James in my book) and I agreed with Aikman last week when he said Roy had great coverage but it was just a good throw by Manning.

Somehow, many felt Aikman was completely wrong last week but somehow knows what he is talking about this week. All that is being shown is they don't care about facts, just that Roy gets the blame.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TVMan;1776784 said:
95WARE94 said:
They were playing cover 2
Well, Duh.
94WARE94 said:
and it was Roy's responsibility to not let anyone make a play in his zone and look at what he did..
I'm sure you checked with Wade on this.
Dude, what the hell are you saying? You say you know what a Cover 2 is, then say "I'm sure you checked with Wade on this" No, if you know what a Cover 2 is you don't have to check with Wade.
Trying to think of a better word than stupid, but I can't.
I believe you should just stop responding, because stupid is exactly how you sound. :shoot5:

TVMan

Reaction score
nyc;1777051 said:
Dude, what the hell are you saying? You say you know what a Cover 2 is, then say "I'm sure you checked with Wade on this" No, if you know what a Cover 2 is you don't have to check with Wade.

I believe you should just stop responding, because stupid is exactly how you sound. :shoot5:

You only see what you want to see, dude. So, whatever.:shoot3:

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
nyc;1777051 said:

He is probably Roy Williams we all know Roy doesn't know how to be in coverage

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TVMan;1777071 said:
You only see what you want to see, dude. So, whatever.:shoot3:

Yeah, if an orange is orange then call it an orange. A Cover 2 is a Cover 2 even you said that before you told everyone to check with Wade to make sure we knew where Roy was supposed to be while playing a Cover 2! :laugh2:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1776915 said:
I do however fault both Roy and James

How anyone could argue anything else is a mystery. James completely blew the underneath coverage, and Roy got turned the wrong way on the deep coverage.

khiladi

Reaction score
Rack;1776776 said:
You're basically saying it's better to let Cooley get deep and to cover Portis short then to take away the deep ball and come up to make a tackle on the short pass.

"Hey Brady, don't worry about Cooley running right by you towards the endzone, you may have a 2 yard curl to defend!"

Exaggeration is the key to a weak argument. Considering Wade explicitly said that they were targetting run, and playing the short-zone, it obviously necessitates that the LBs were keying in on Clinton Portis. So when Bradie left Cooley, because he read play-action, it was because he thought Roy would have coverage on him, as per the game-plan.

The fact is, Roy blew the coverage. It is right there in the tape, and no amount of exxageration can change this basic fact. Roy was clearly in a position to make a play when Bradie left him, but he had his hips turned the wrong way, and got smoked by Cooley, who didn't even get touched.