Video: Dukes and Lombardi on Cowboys WR issues

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
the only wr issue we have is figuring out which one will destroy the opposition on any given week.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I still think Crayton is going to be out of here. I think the Cowboys would be better served just giving Crayton his release now, instead of holding out for a 5th or 6th round pick. That is what you are looking at, at best, imo. The Cowboys can say that they are "not going to release him" all they want, too. Dallas has made its intentions known about Crayton. Teams are going to sit down and wait for the team to cut him, and only a desperate team would trade for him, imo.

So, the Cowboys have to decide this. Do we really want all this "drama" lasting until August and throughout camp? Crayton is already using his voice to get out now, and he can keep on talking throughout camp. That will be a distraction to the team.

Do the Cowboys really want an episode of "As the WRs Turn" during this camp and mini-camp? If I were Dallas, I would just cut Crayton. Let him go to another team and avoid this distraction. A 5th or 6th round pick, that you would be real lucky to get, isn't worth the drama, imo.

It comes down to this. You either believe in Kevin Ogletree, or you don't. If you cut Crayton now, Kevin Ogletree gets more work and more prepared.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Also, Sam Hurd is probably gone, too.

I hope Manny Johnson makes this team.

The fast guy that played in Canada could take his spot, too.

They have more potential at WR, because they are much, much, much faster; moreover, they should be able to cover those kicks. Plus, they are much cheaper.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Assuming Austin, Williams, and Bryant perform to expectations, Crayton is still the 4th best WR. If any of the first 3 go down, then Crayton is the man. Can Ogletree/Ryan/Holley/Johnson/Hurd be a #3?

In a run to the Super Bowl, Crayton makes a lot of sense.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I don't see Crayton making the final roster.

Ogletree will the the #4 and will be groomed to the future #3 once the team makes the decision on whether to extend Miles and cut Roy or trade Miles and keep Roy.

I'm guessing Manny Johnson beats out Hurd for the #5 WR but this is a test to won on STs and Johnson's potential as a WR.

I think we keep 6 WRs with one of the UDFAs or Titus Ryan taking the last spot.

links18

Reaction score
We are going to wait to see if we have any injuries in camp or if anyone else has injuries and wants to pay us for Crayton. Crayton is afraid that no injuries will happen and he will just get cut and end up making less than that the $2 million he thinks he has coming. He might be right. In the end, Crayton has to show he is several steps above of Ogletree, Johnson, Hurd, etc. in order for the team to want to keep him in preparation for an injury during a Super Bowl run. With Crayton's luck he'll be the one who gets injured.

Nexx

Reaction score
FLcowboy;3419467 said:
In a run to the Super Bowl, Crayton makes a lot of sense.

yeah like his drop on a critical 3rd down and his give up route he ran later in that playoff game against the giants made a lot of sense.

Ren

Reaction score
Funny how thing have worked out from a year ago when everyone was saying we had no WRs, now we have to many WRs :laugh2:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Don Corleone;3419524 said:
I cut Sam Hurd before Crayton. Just sayin'. :cool:

I agree.

If Hurd gets cut, I doubt he gets picked up, unless a team wants a very good special teams player.

If Crayton gets cut, he gets picked up as a receiver, quick, fast and a hurry.

I don't know if Hurd has that much value on the open market, compared to Crayton.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Am I the only one not even remotely concerned about our Wr's? That's like the last think I think of as an issue when I think of this team.

Crayton can hold out all he wants from voluntary OTA's, when his money really is on the line he'll show up.

If we need him we will keep him, if not well cut or trade him, even if it's for a 7th and move on. But I think his value on the team is more than it is off, so I say keep him.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3419540 said:
Am I the only one not even remotely concerned about our Wr's? That's like the last think I think of as an issue when I think of this team.

Crayton can hold out all he wants from voluntary OTA's, when his money really is on the line he'll show up.

If we need him we will keep him, if not well cut or trade him, even if it's for a 7th and move on. But I think his value on the team is more than it is off, so I say keep him.
Concerned? I'm thrilled.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys keep five receivers on the roster,

Williams,Austin,Bryant,Olgetree,Ryan.

Crayton and Hurd both gone

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He's going to be behind the number three WR. He's not likely to be returning punts. What's his job on the team? You're not likely to even have him active on game day. KO plays STs.

Finally, the biggest problem is he will take up a roster spot.

They will look to trade him and get something before releasing him. It will be after Jun 1 at least. They will release him in time to get picked up by a team and have a chance to make the roster. That's just my take on the situation.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyke1doe;3419532 said:
If Hurd gets cut, I doubt he gets picked up, unless a team wants a very good special teams player.

If Crayton gets cut, he gets picked up as a receiver, quick, fast and a hurry.

I don't know if Hurd has that much value on the open market, compared to Crayton.
Crayton may have more value in the open market, but for our team Hurd is more valueable. I don't see how Crayton gets on the field. At least Hurd will contribute on special teams.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
TheCount;3419540 said:

Everything he said.

dfense

Reaction score
41gy#;3419439 said:
I still think Crayton is going to be out of here. I think the Cowboys would be better served just giving Crayton his release now, instead of holding out for a 5th or 6th round pick. That is what you are looking at, at best, imo. The Cowboys can say that they are "not going to release him" all they want, too. Dallas has made its intentions known about Crayton. Teams are going to sit down and wait for the team to cut him, and only a desperate team would trade for him, imo.

So, the Cowboys have to decide this. Do we really want all this "drama" lasting until August and throughout camp? Crayton is already using his voice to get out now, and he can keep on talking throughout camp. That will be a distraction to the team.

Do the Cowboys really want an episode of "As the WRs Turn" during this camp and mini-camp? If I were Dallas, I would just cut Crayton. Let him go to another team and avoid this distraction. A 5th or 6th round pick, that you would be real lucky to get, isn't worth the drama, imo.

It comes down to this. You either believe in Kevin Ogletree, or you don't. If you cut Crayton now, Kevin Ogletree gets more work and more prepared.
So release Crayton, who's under contract for a couple more years. Then, Austin blows his knee out in training camp. So you're left with an expensive underachiever, a rookie, a second year player who has all of like 8 catches, and Sam "I dropped my last two important catches" Hurd.

If Crayton wants to pout, let him sit on the bench. The Cowboys are due to make an example of someone to send a message to the rest of the team anyways.