Video sums up Dak/Wentz debate

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I think this is where we miss having Witt and Dez, we don't have that reliable, physical big receiver.

That, and having a quarterback that doesn't quickly process information or throw fade routes as well as the last one did. I'd be really curious to see just how many of all of those sacks Dak has taken have in fact come in red zone situations. I'd bet a good number.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That, and having a quarterback that doesn't quickly process information or throw fade routes as well as the last one did. I'd be really curious to see just how many of all of those sacks Dak has taken have in fact come in red zone situations. I'd bet a good number.
That's definitely something he needs to improve. We did much better in 2016 and the biggest differences are the OL and having a couple big pass catchers. I'm also not a fan in Linehan's playcalling in the RZ.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's definitely something he needs to improve. We did much better in 2016 and the biggest differences are the OL and having a couple big pass catchers. I'm also not a fan in Linehan's playcalling in the RZ.

I've often joked that somebody needs to be standing next to Prescott with a stopwatch in one hand and a stick in the other. If the watch gets to three seconds and he's still holding the ball? He gets the stick!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I've often joked that somebody needs to be standing next to Prescott with a stopwatch in one hand and a stick in the other. If the watch gets to three seconds and he's still holding the ball? He gets the stick!
It's not about holding the ball, it's about making better decisions. When to scramble to extend plays, when to throw it away, when to take a sack, when to take off and run. Dak is getting the "stick" when he makes the wrong decisions, hopefully he's learning from it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure at least part of it is on the scheme. Some of both, IMO.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Again that's more about reputation and fan perception than actual fact. Brees only attempts 2 more passes/game than Dak 32.6 vs 30.4 and has only attempted more than 32 passes once in his past nine games. The Saints also rush a higher percentage of plays than the Cowboys. Their offense is designed around the run and short passes, not deep passing. It's not a knock against Brees, he certainly has the ability, but it's not a coincidence that they're contenders again after finding an explosive RB. Even as great as Brees is, almost half his seasons with NO has been 8-8 or worse.

They're trying to run it through Wentz this season and will likely get eliminated from the playoffs this weekend. Philly won the SB without Wentz, it wasn't as much about Wentz as the team built around him.
but trees has 600 more yards than Dak. Brees was the QB who carries his team for several years when they had the ALL TIME WORST defense. he is known to be one of the mot accurate QBs in the NFL...and most fans with limited knowledge consider accuracy with percent complete, which the two aren't the same.

and again, in all the years with Das, he hasn't been a great passer. why do Das lovers get mad when anyone mentions that. Not being a great passer doesn't mean you are not a good QB. Dak as a QB is a great game manager. he doesn't throw a lot of Ints. he can make a few plays here and there, passing and with his legs. he plays within the scheme of things. and he has great leadership abilities. the Das lovers either try to elevate Dak where he is not, or knock all other QBs to make Das equal to them. I don't; understand all the fuss from Dak lovers....

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
but trees has 600 more yards than Dak. Brees was the QB who carries his team for several years when they had the ALL TIME WORST defense. he is known to be one of the mot accurate QBs in the NFL...and most fans with limited knowledge consider accuracy with percent complete, which the two aren't the same.

and again, in all the years with Das, he hasn't been a great passer. why do Das lovers get mad when anyone mentions that. Not being a great passer doesn't mean you are not a good QB. Dak as a QB is a great game manager. he doesn't throw a lot of Ints. he can make a few plays here and there, passing and with his legs. he plays within the scheme of things. and he has great leadership abilities. the Das lovers either try to elevate Dak where he is not, or knock all other QBs to make Das equal to them. I don't; understand all the fuss from Dak lovers....

That's all part of the point, it's not about throwing deep or how many attempts etc., it's about being efficient and having playmakers. Brees was always accurate, but he also relies heavily on short passes and players to get YAC. Brees best seasons, in terms of wins , have been when he had RBs that could get YAC, Bush, Sproles and now Kamara. I'm not trying to make out that Dak is a great passer or trying to knock down Brees. It's an example of how perception and reality aren't always the same. Most people think of Brees as a deep, air it out type passer, when he's actually more effective as a ball control shorter pass QB. People hate on Dak because, he doesn't throw deep enough or that it was the player that got all those YAC, when Brees is having an MVP year getting that type of benefit too. Brees is obviously better at it, but some of those same concepts would be ideal for a QB like Dak. Dak could be very effective in the short and intermediate passing game with the coaching that can implement and scheme it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's all part of the point, it's not about throwing deep or how many attempts etc., it's about being efficient and having playmakers. Brees was always accurate, but he also relies heavily on short passes and players to get YAC. Brees best seasons, in terms of wins , have been when he had RBs that could get YAC, Bush, Sproles and now Kamara. I'm not trying to make out that Dak is a great passer or trying to knock down Brees. It's an example of how perception and reality aren't always the same. Most people think of Brees as a deep, air it out type passer, when he's actually more effective as a ball control shorter pass QB. People hate on Dak because, he doesn't throw deep enough or that it was the player that got all those YAC, when Brees is having an MVP year getting that type of benefit too. Brees is obviously better at it, but some of those same concepts would be ideal for a QB like Dak. Dak could be very effective in the short and intermediate passing game with the coaching that can implement and scheme it.
just because people find flaws in Dak's game doesn't mean they hate on him. Trees has been adaptable. he is a pretty accurate QB, but he takes what the defense gives him and he takes sometimes what they don't. This year, is been a brilliant execution on Trees and Payton. They have Kamara and Thomas. the rest are pretty pedestrian and average. Cowboys figured it out. but trees was also a 5000 yard passer. with 600 attempts in a season. that's not easy to execute. and we maybe focusing on Brees, a probable and most likely HOF candidate who btw is 39.