Video sums up Dak/Wentz debate

jnday

Reaction score
But, IF Wentz is a franchise "put a team on his back" QB, that some are building him up to be, then that means he should be able to put a game on his shoulder's, when one side of the ball isn't playing well or when the offensive supporting cast around him is average. Because to me that is what defines a true QB, who can "carry a team on his back." Some assume that Dak wouldn't be able to keep up with a QB, who happens to end up scoring a bunch of points against the Cowboys in a particular game. When Wentz couldn't keep up with Brees.

Wentz did nothing to extend drives on offense or score more points, to help out his struggling Defense, by keeping the ball away from Brees and by scoring points. And actually ended up giving the ball to Brees for 3 more times, by throwing three INTs. Dak wasn't perfect in the Saints game, but actually had the chance to put the game away, if he connected with Gallup and he did his part of extend drives, to give the Cowboys win over the TOP and keep the ball away from Brees.

If Wentz is truly a franchise QB, who is going to be the next Brady, then he shouldn't need everything perfect around him.
At least Wentz has the tools to be an elite QB as any knowledgeable football fan knows.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak will have a bloviated contract next year and he won’t be worth it. Why do you keep bringing Romo up? He has nothing to do with Dak.
Answer my question. Did Romo have a bloviated contract? Yes or No?

rags747

Reaction score
Rush TDs count. 19 TD, not 14.
Somewhat. When judging a qb you are really judging their throwing ability. All the top qb's that are drafted are judged on can they throw the ball, are they accurate, decision making etc. Ability to rush for td's is a nice to have but I rather have a qb with the ability to get it done through the air ala Mahomes 40 td's.

mardwin

Reaction score
If Dallas could sign Dak for under 20 million a year - like around the 18 million mark. He could be the right guy in Dallas. I do think these teams paying 25 million + a year for a QB struggle to put a good team on the field. Hopefully Dak understands that and doesnt ask for the sky. If he does ... then they need to let Dak walk. He isnt the type of QB that could carry a team.

If the he gets crazy money is in the front office not on Dak. You let Dak hit the open market and nobody will overpay for him, this front office has a history to over value their players thinking they are worth more than they are. Would you take Dak at $20M or Flacco or Winston at $15M? With the current core of players the answer is pretty simple.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Passer rating does take into account passing yards and attempts.
it takes into account yards per attempt...not pure passing yards...so conceivably you can throw 12 passes in a game, complete 10 and have a 104 passer rating and you can have 400 yard passing day, throw 45 passes and have a 104 passer rating.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wentz averages 7.7 air yards/attempt and Dak averages 7.6 air yards/attempt, not much of a difference. The truth is most NFL fans think their team doesn't pass down field enough. Brees is only at 7.2 air yards/attempt, their whole passing game is predicated on short passes, especially to RBs. Brees longest completed pass in air yards this season is almost identical to Dak's, 45.3yds vs 45.5. I'm not trying to say that Dak is Bree's equal or even close in ability, but sometimes fans get too caught up in raw numbers. While I would like to see more deep passes, it's more important to be efficient in the passing game. We have to be able to hit the deep balls when they're there, but it's the short passes that move the sticks and keep drives alive.
the number of times you attempt makes a huge difference in all of this is as well. Brees makes a lot more attempts in the game than Dak. The offense runs through Brees. The offense runs through Wentz. our offense runs through Zeke.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak throws almost 20% less attempts than most qbs since the cowboys are a run first offense.

He averages 30ATT compared to 35-36 league average.

Yet he’s averaging 250 yards a game. If you added 20% to that that he’d be averaging 300yds a game. Hardly a bus driver.
that's extrapolating numbers based on averages....there are 2 games he has thrown 34 and 36 attempts this season and he didn't come close to 300. same in 2017.... 4 games he had more than 36 pass attempts. none of them came close to 300. 2016 he had 4 games with 36 or more pass attempts...only 1 300 yard game.

the reason his averages are what you outlined is because he is safe, doesn't take too many risks. minimizes his mistakes. makes a few plays here and there....which help those averages.... when he has had to rely on passing....his averages come down...he is just not a great passer. nothing wrong with that.

Nav22

Reaction score
Somewhat. When judging a qb you are really judging their throwing ability. All the top qb's that are drafted are judged on can they throw the ball, are they accurate, decision making etc. Ability to rush for td's is a nice to have but I rather have a qb with the ability to get it done through the air ala Mahomes 40 td's.
Lamar Jackson was a 1st round pick because he’s a dual threat.

Either way, we’re past the point of evaluating these guys based on their potential. It’s all about production and winning games now.

Mahomes has 41 Pass TD, 2 Rush TD. He’d be just as effective and valuable if the split was 36-7 or something.

As long as we finish drives in the redzone, it makes no difference to me how we score. Dak can run it in, hand it off or throw it in. Troy Aikman eclipsed 20 Pass TD just once in his career and that worked out just fine for him and the Cowboys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These are the same dummies that went on and on about how the Saints were going to crush the Cowboys and laughed at Bucky Brooks for picking Dallas. I don't watch these idiots, but has Brooks been back on that show to rub their noses in it?

And now they're back to the same "Stephen A. Smith starter kit" style where they'll try to get attention by being "anti-Cowboys". Sorry fellas! Several other guys already have that job, find yourselves another area for your cry for attention.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamar Jackson was a 1st round pick because he’s a dual threat.

Either way, we’re past the point of evaluating these guys based on their potential. It’s all about production and winning games now.

Mahomes has 41 Pass TD, 2 Rush TD. He’d be just as effective and valuable if the split was 36-7 or something.

As long as we finish drives in the redzone, it makes no difference to me how we score. Dak can run it in, hand it off or throw it in. Troy Aikman eclipsed 20 Pass TD just once in his career and that worked out just fine for him and the Cowboys.

Except that we're not scoring touchdowns in the red zone, despite the win streak, it continues to be this team's biggest weakness.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Nav22

Reaction score
Except that we're not scoring touchdowns in the red zone, despite the win streak, it continues to be this team's biggest weakness.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct
I’m aware of that. We need to be better.

But that has nothing to do with Dak’s Pass TD/Rush TD split. If we improve in the redzone and Dak finishes the year with 10 Rush TD (he has 5 now), that’s just fine. A TD is a TD.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m aware of that. We need to be better.

But that has nothing to do with Dak’s Pass TD/Rush TD split. If we improve in the redzone and Dak finishes the year with 10 Rush TD (he has 5 now), that’s just fine. A TD is a TD.

I think it has everything to do with it. Neither he nor the team are scoring enough touchdowns. Dak's "split" isn't good enough right now. Factor in his 5 rushing touchdowns and his numbers still stink.

Nav22

Reaction score
I think it has everything to do with it. Neither he nor the team are scoring enough touchdowns. Dak's "split" isn't good enough right now. Factor in his 5 rushing touchdowns and his numbers still stink.
Meh, he’s on pace for 25 total TD. Not sure that qualifies as “stink” but it’s not great.

My point is that the team needs to score more TDs however they come. If Dak starts throwing for 2/game, great. If Zeke starts scoring 2+/game, great. If Dak throws for 0 and rushes for 2, great.

Again, Aikman had 20+ Pass TD ONCE in his career. If we’re treating Zeke like he’s Emmitt (and let’s face it, we are), then it makes sense for Dak’s numbers to look a little pedestrian.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meh, he’s on pace for 25 total TD. Not sure that qualifies as “stink” but it’s not great.

I agree. It's not great. Take a look at the list I showed. Dak is at the very bottom, despite being the only guy down there who (knock on wood) hasn't missed any games.

My point is that the team needs to score more TDs however they come. If Dak starts throwing for 2/game, great. If Zeke starts scoring 2+/game, great. If Dak throws for 0 and rushes for 2, great.

That was my point as well. Somebody has to score more. And Zeke's numbers are good and Dak's aren't, compared to their peers.

Again, Aikman had 20+ Pass TD ONCE in his career. If we’re treating Zeke like he’s Emmitt (and let’s face it, we are), then it makes sense for Dak’s numbers to look a little pedestrian.

It's a far different league now. What worked in the past doesn't anymore. Can't go back in time. The league has changed tons of rules to favor the pass. We need to be able to take advantage like most potent offenses can.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
the number of times you attempt makes a huge difference in all of this is as well. Brees makes a lot more attempts in the game than Dak. The offense runs through Brees. The offense runs through Wentz. our offense runs through Zeke.
Again that's more about reputation and fan perception than actual fact. Brees only attempts 2 more passes/game than Dak 32.6 vs 30.4 and has only attempted more than 32 passes once in his past nine games. The Saints also rush a higher percentage of plays than the Cowboys. Their offense is designed around the run and short passes, not deep passing. It's not a knock against Brees, he certainly has the ability, but it's not a coincidence that they're contenders again after finding an explosive RB. Even as great as Brees is, almost half his seasons with NO has been 8-8 or worse.

They're trying to run it through Wentz this season and will likely get eliminated from the playoffs this weekend. Philly won the SB without Wentz, it wasn't as much about Wentz as the team built around him.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I don't mind being a homer on this one. Dak's my guy. Wentz has definitely regressed from last year. Bottom line is that the narrative is still being written with this qb class.