CFZ Vikings played to our strength

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Minnesota was one of the better balanced football teams that we've face as far as passing and running games. However, I think the Vikings made a mistake not just trying to run us over. It wasn't like Cook was having trouble gaining rushing yards against us. However, instead of sticking with the run early, the Vikings would try to pass on second-and-long or third-and-longer than 2. They thought their passing game was good enough to match up with our pass rush, but it wasn't.

Green Bay showed the formula teams need to use to try to beat us. Hammer us with the run to draw one-on-one matchups in the secondary and go for a few big plays when you get those matchups. I think we'll see something closer to that from the Giants (but Daniel Jones is no Aaron Rodgers), and from other opponents as well. If they learn nothing from the Vikings game is that you don't abandon the run against us and even try to lean on it more than you normally would.

Of course, if our defense shows it can handle that, then look out.

JayFord

Reaction score
The formula to beat every team is out there its up to the coaches to scheme for it

if the Cowboys run first like they should then it puts other teams into a pass pass pass situation

once that happens not one team is good enought to pass pass pass all over us

ondaedg

Reaction score
Minnesota was one of the better balanced football teams that we've face as far as passing and running games. However, I think the Vikings made a mistake not just trying to run us over. It wasn't like Cook was having trouble gaining rushing yards against us. However, instead of sticking with the run early, the Vikings would try to pass on second-and-long or third-and-longer than 2. They thought their passing game was good enough to match up with our pass rush, but it wasn't.

Green Bay showed the formula teams need to use to try to beat us. Hammer us with the run to draw one-on-one matchups in the secondary and go for a few big plays when you get those matchups. I think we'll see something closer to that from the Giants (but Daniel Jones is no Aaron Rodgers), and from other opponents as well. If they learn nothing from the Vikings game is that you don't abandon the run against us and even try to lean on it more than you normally would.

I thought the same thing midway through the third quarter. No idea why they wouldn’t keep pounding the ball on us after seeing GB. Sometimes coaches outthink themselves.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The formula to beat every team is out there its up to the coaches to scheme for it

if the Cowboys run first like they should then it puts other teams into a pass pass pass situation

once that happens not one team is good enought to pass pass pass all over us

I agree with that. It's just that the Vikings didn't stick with the run early in the game while they didn't really have to play catch-up. It's like they went to it on the field-goal drive and then outsmarted themselves.

If we can build a nice lead, though, then teams are forced to try to play catch-up by passing the ball against Quinn's relentless pass rush.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yep for sure they quit on the run too soon beside cook was doing ok
I think what hurt them the most was their mismanagement of clock at the end of first half key they called 2 of their timeouts and failed and left time on the clock for us to get 3 then that second half drive we did at beginning of 3rd quarter put them down i think 23-3 maybe 30-3 can’t remember for sure
I think they then thought they had to throw as we were carving them up on the ground and it may have been too soon at 23-3 to throw in towel on run

pansophy

Reaction score

Yeah I totally don’t understand what the Vikings were thinking. Green Bay showed you can just run it on us and the Vikings actually had more yards per carry than Green Bay. Having said that Cousins only threw 3 more passes than Rodgers. So I don’t know.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yep for sure they quit on the run too soon beside cook was doing ok
I think what hurt them the most was their mismanagement of clock at the end of first half key they called 2 of their timeouts and failed and left time on the clock for us to get 3 then that second half drive we did at beginning of 3rd quarter put them down i think 23-3 maybe 30-3 can’t remember for sure
I think they then thought they had to throw as we were carving them up on the ground

Even at that point, I would have tried to run on us for at least one drive to see if that could get the team going.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah I totally don’t understand what the Vikings were thinking. Green Bay showed you can just run it on us and the Vikings actually had more yards per carry than Green Bay. Having said that Cousins only threw 3 more passes than Rodgers. So I don’t know.

Short drives will do that to you. You might throw three times on a nine-play drive for a good run percentage, but two times on a three-and-out for a bad run percentage.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys made changes on defense after the Packers game...

gimmesix

Reaction score
Everything went right for us and wrong for them. It was one week. The overreaction is comical.

Very true. Just like several things went wrong for us against Green Bay. Still, there's no doubt that we've had trouble against the run and the Vikings, for some reason, didn't seem committed to sticking with that.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Yes they really did play into our hands.

Their first 3 series, they had us in: 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2, and 3rd and 3 again.

They passed all 3 times; sacked twice, incomplete once, and suddenly they were down 13-3.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yes they really did play into our hands.

Their first 3 series, they had us in: 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2, and 3rd and 3 again.

They passed all 3 times; sacked twice, incomplete once, and suddenly they were down 13-3.

Don't get me wrong: I was grateful to see that because our pass rush is killer. I think if we see them again in the playoffs, they'll approach that differently.

gimmesix

Reaction score
On the flip side, when the Cowboys simply stick to running the ball themselves, they win, almost every time.

True. We definitely don't need to abandon the run. I tell you what I really liked, though, throwing to the backs. We've rarely used them as a weapon in the passing game. If we establish that, we're so much tougher to stop.

Aven8

Reaction score
Dalvin has never had any luck against us. Wilson knocked him out of the game a couple of years ago. He’s fast as hell but we have problems with those bruising types.