CFZ Vikings played to our strength

plymkr

Reaction score
yeah vikings HC is a moron and that gameplan was so dumb i find it hard to believe.
'as I watched it I kinda felt like they were trying to lose the game.
No way. I feel he knew that LVE was waiting for Cook and he didn't want to risk losing Cook for the playoffs. :muttley:

plymkr

Reaction score
True. We definitely don't need to abandon the run. I tell you what I really liked, though, throwing to the backs. We've rarely used them as a weapon in the passing game. If we establish that, we're so much tougher to stop.
Yeah. How do you defend a guy like Pollard who can break one on any play. That 68 yarder was on 3rd and 14 and it completely broke their will. Perfectly thrown ball that hits Pollard in stride. Pollard is almost like a hybrid WR/RB. Then you got Zeke pounding them. And my new pet cat Davis able to keep the chains moving while the dynamic duo rests.

FTWayne

Reaction score
Minnesota was one of the better balanced football teams that we've face as far as passing and running games. However, I think the Vikings made a mistake not just trying to run us over. It wasn't like Cook was having trouble gaining rushing yards against us. However, instead of sticking with the run early, the Vikings would try to pass on second-and-long or third-and-longer than 2. They thought their passing game was good enough to match up with our pass rush, but it wasn't.

Green Bay showed the formula teams need to use to try to beat us. Hammer us with the run to draw one-on-one matchups in the secondary and go for a few big plays when you get those matchups. I think we'll see something closer to that from the Giants (but Daniel Jones is no Aaron Rodgers), and from other opponents as well. If they learn nothing from the Vikings game is that you don't abandon the run against us and even try to lean on it more than you normally would.

Of course, if our defense shows it can handle that, then look out.
they played like we usually do.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yeah. How do you defend a guy like Pollard who can break one on any play. That 68 yarder was on 3rd and 14 and it completely broke their will. Perfectly thrown ball that hits Pollard in stride. Pollard is almost like a hybrid WR/RB. Then you got Zeke pounding them. And my new pet cat Davis able to keep the chains moving while the dynamic duo rests.
wrong post

DandyDon52

Reaction score
No way. I feel he knew that LVE was waiting for Cook and he didn't want to risk losing Cook for the playoffs. :muttley:
or maybe they let dallas beat the crap out of them, so if they meet in playoffs, dallas players will think
it is a easy win, and then the real minn team catches them by surprise?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Minnesota was one of the better balanced football teams that we've face as far as passing and running games. However, I think the Vikings made a mistake not just trying to run us over. It wasn't like Cook was having trouble gaining rushing yards against us. However, instead of sticking with the run early, the Vikings would try to pass on second-and-long or third-and-longer than 2. They thought their passing game was good enough to match up with our pass rush, but it wasn't.

Green Bay showed the formula teams need to use to try to beat us. Hammer us with the run to draw one-on-one matchups in the secondary and go for a few big plays when you get those matchups. I think we'll see something closer to that from the Giants (but Daniel Jones is no Aaron Rodgers), and from other opponents as well. If they learn nothing from the Vikings game is that you don't abandon the run against us and even try to lean on it more than you normally would.

I agree for the most part on how to attack our offense but to beat the Cowboys you have to contain the offense. Get three and outs, get us out of rhythm and wear down our small/fast defensive linemen. That is how the Packers beat us. Chicago and Minnesota could do nothing against our offense.

visionary

Reaction score

Agreed

Redline360

Reaction score
Vikings had a horrendous game plan which I'm grateful for. Cook was averaging 6.5ypc which could have been 7+ if not for (2) 10+ yard runs called back(it happens to all rb though).

If they stuck to the run game early like GB it could have been even worse. Dallas pass rush shut down the passing game yet they still tried to hammer the ball downfield. Then it only cascaded from there.

Vikings OL is always suspect and their secondary is trash. Honestly suprised they made it to 8-1. Jefferson, theilen and cook just beasts on offense even with a medicore OL

DanA

Reaction score
Did Green bay really show the blueprint to beating us?

I’m not so sure about that. I feel like what they did is not a sustainable way of winning and if we had Zeke along with Dak playing a bit more conservative we wipe the floor with Green Bay.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We dominated and dismantled them. A 8-1 team. Every facet. Spanked them. Now let’s keep it going.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Minn never could sustain the run game. Having a good run is not sustaining a run, guy hits a run of 17 but every other carry is 3 of less leaving them in 2nd and long, 3rd and long. Minn with the weapons outside is their strength so while they may have played to our strength, the passing game is their major strength. In the 3rd qrt Dallas was up 30 to 3 you will not come back from that running the ball.

starfan1

Reaction score
Minn never could sustain the run game. Having a good run is not sustaining a run, guy hits a run of 17 but every other carry is 3 of less leaving them in 2nd and long, 3rd and long. Minn with the weapons outside is their strength so while they may have played to our strength, the passing game is their major strength. In the 3rd qrt Dallas was up 30 to 3 you will not come back from that running the ball.

while I agree with this i mentioned earlier Minny doomed themselves the last 2 mintes of 1st half with poor clock management that allowed us to tack on 3 to our lead. Plus when we marched down the field 1st possion of second half it kind made it hard for them to run at us.

But they had opportunities early to run and they chose not to and it cost them.The loss of their lineman early was also a factor. I wont take anything away from our defense though they came to play. Now on Saqain

Doomsday101

Reaction score
while I agree with this i mentioned earlier Minny doomed themselves the last 2 mintes of 1st half with poor clock management that allowed us to tack on 3 to our lead. Plus when we marched down the field 1st possion of second half it kind made it hard for them to run at us.

But they had opportunities early to run and they chose not to and it cost them.The loss of their lineman early was also a factor. I wont take anything away from our defense though they came to play. Now on Saqain

That is not who Minn is. They are not a run 1st team they did not get to 8-1 by running the Ball. Jefferson is a key weapon for them. Again when they ran the ball outside of 1 run for 17 yards the rest of the time they were looking at 2nd and 7, 2nd and 8.

shabazz

Reaction score
Even at that point, I would have tried to run on us for at least one drive to see if that could get the team going.

you can put down money that when Mike Vrabel and his Titans play us he won’t make that mistake.

as a matter of fact the defense will have 2 more very good tests to prove they can stop the run. They face the #2 RB in the league Barkley, Thursday, and #1 RB Henry after that.

those 2 contests should end any debate

starfan1

Reaction score
That is not who Minn is. They are not a run 1st team they did not get to 8-1 by running the Ball. Jefferson is a key weapon for them. Again when they ran the ball outside of 1 run for 17 yards the rest of the time they were looking at 2nd and 7, 2nd and 8.

I am not disagreeing with that but Cook is a weapon and the entire league knows (or should know) that we are weak in run defense but excel in getting after QB and play solid in the pass. Green bay has a HOF QB they figured it out.They bludgeneon us till we brought up a safety then we got torched long.

I think both statements can be true. Yes Minnys strength is their passing game and jefferson but they did play to our strength by not keeping with the run.Cook is no slouch and even at 2nd an7 and 2nd and 8 they still could have ran the ball but they chose to go strength on strength and it cost them.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The Cowboys played with much better discipline on defense Sunday. The Vikings were smothered. When the Cowboys jump out with a quick lead and don't have to punt, very few teams are going to maintain running he ball in a game like that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am not disagreeing with that but Cook is a weapon and the entire league knows (or should know) that we are weak in run defense but excel in getting after QB and play solid in the pass. Green bay has a HOF QB they figured it out.They bludgeneon us till we brought up a safety then we got torched long.

I think both statements can be true. Yes Minnys strength is their passing game and jefferson but they did play to our strength by not keeping with the run.Cook is no slouch and even at 2nd an7 and 2nd and 8 they still could have ran the ball but they chose to go strength on strength and it cost them.

As I said Dallas jumped on them early and often scoring on our 1st 7 drives of the game. Had we done that vs GB I seriously doubt they would be able to stay with the run. Yes on 2nd and 7 and 2nd and 8 you can run the ball. however unlike the GB game Dallas was not using a lot of stunts in the interior DL

pansophy

Reaction score
Cowboys made changes on defense after the Packers game...
Did they though? Vikings had more yards per carry than Green Bay. That first 3rd and 3 Green Bay would have run the ball but the Vikings tried to throw for it and Micah got the strip sack.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just like Dallas played down to Green Bay. That game was won, but pass happy Moore/Dak, just had to get their stats.