CFZ Vikings played to our strength

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Was a passing league, things are shifting especially with mobile qbs who great runners are those RPOS, heavy dose of run type teams a few in our own division, has changed that narrative. we must adjust or they wont stop..

Again I agree we need to do a better job of run stopping. I think we can. As for running QB everyone has issues with dealing with running QB.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Minnesota was one of the better balanced football teams that we've face as far as passing and running games. However, I think the Vikings made a mistake not just trying to run us over. It wasn't like Cook was having trouble gaining rushing yards against us. However, instead of sticking with the run early, the Vikings would try to pass on second-and-long or third-and-longer than 2. They thought their passing game was good enough to match up with our pass rush, but it wasn't.

Green Bay showed the formula teams need to use to try to beat us. Hammer us with the run to draw one-on-one matchups in the secondary and go for a few big plays when you get those matchups. I think we'll see something closer to that from the Giants (but Daniel Jones is no Aaron Rodgers), and from other opponents as well. If they learn nothing from the Vikings game is that you don't abandon the run against us and even try to lean on it more than you normally would.

Of course, if our defense shows it can handle that, then look out.
Zoners making excuses for teams the Cowboys beat. Go figure.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Minnesota was one of the better balanced football teams that we've face as far as passing and running games. However, I think the Vikings made a mistake not just trying to run us over. It wasn't like Cook was having trouble gaining rushing yards against us. However, instead of sticking with the run early, the Vikings would try to pass on second-and-long or third-and-longer than 2. They thought their passing game was good enough to match up with our pass rush, but it wasn't.

Green Bay showed the formula teams need to use to try to beat us. Hammer us with the run to draw one-on-one matchups in the secondary and go for a few big plays when you get those matchups. I think we'll see something closer to that from the Giants (but Daniel Jones is no Aaron Rodgers), and from other opponents as well. If they learn nothing from the Vikings game is that you don't abandon the run against us and even try to lean on it more than you normally would.

Of course, if our defense shows it can handle that, then look out.
Dont know why they did not try and run it down our throats, but glad they did not try.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Zoners making excuses for teams the Cowboys beat. Go figure.

I soon as I saw that you had responded to this thread, I knew it would be something like this. It appears that you are incapable of having an intelligent discussion about our team and take anything that isn't rah-rah as excuses.

I'm happy our team beat a good team definitively. But I can feel that way and still look at the issue we are having stopping the run, which was only resolved in this game by Minnesota not choosing to do it much and then getting so far behind that it couldn't do it anymore.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I soon as I saw that you had responded to this thread, I knew it would be something like this. It appears that you are incapable of having an intelligent discussion about our team and take anything that isn't rah-rah as excuses.

I'm happy our team beat a good team definitively. But I can feel that way and still look at the issue we are having stopping the run, which was only resolved in this game by Minnesota not choosing to do it much and then getting so far behind that it couldn't do it anymore.
Then show it instead of making excuses for the other team.

gimmesix

Reaction score
you can put down money that when Mike Vrabel and his Titans play us he won’t make that mistake.

as a matter of fact the defense will have 2 more very good tests to prove they can stop the run. They face the #2 RB in the league Barkley, Thursday, and #1 RB Henry after that.

those 2 contests should end any debate

I think we'll see several teams do it until we prove that we can stop it. Most won't follow Minny's example unless we get out and front and force them to pass. Fortunately, our offense is scoring more since Dak returned so there's the possibility of that happening.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree for the most part on how to attack our offense but to beat the Cowboys you have to contain the offense. Get three and outs, get us out of rhythm and wear down our small/fast defensive linemen. That is how the Packers beat us. Chicago and Minnesota could do nothing against our offense.

Not going to disagree completely, but our offense did plenty in the games against the Bears and Packers. Scoring 28 points should be enough for a victory, especially against a team that had previously had a high of 27, and that was with OT. The Packers wore down our DL, but they did it by sticking with the run from start to finish.

gimmesix

Reaction score
And you result to insults because you’ve been schooled.

You are really not worth the time. You make no contribution to a thread other than to razz others who want to have a discussion about things they saw in their team's games. I don't know why you are given free rein to do that here, but so be it. Enjoy yourself. I'm going to move on to those who actually want to discuss the topic of this thread. I didn't create it for those like you who take any type of critical thinking as an affront to fanship.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I would like to see a thread on your comments on this.

One of the main things is that we didn't play Parsons strictly as a linebacker as much. We kept him closer to the line and moved him around ... more like we played Chicago. I think we decided to go back to trying to stop the run by attacking than playing less aggressively.

I think the Giants will be a good test if we stick to that plan. I would expect them to use a plan similar to Chicago's, where they use Jones a lot on RPOs. Lawrence may get the chance to show if he learned how he needs to play it if they leave him unblocked with a choice between taking the RB or the QB.