Vinnie Paul passes away at 54

Hardline

Reaction score
That brings back memories! Did you ever remember a guy named Greg that used to show up there. I mean a LARGE guy. I remember occasionally these asshats would get in the mosh pit intentionally trying to hurt people. When Greg would see those guys, he would go into the pit and just flat out TRUCK them!!! Yeah, you wouldn't see those dude around anymore after that. rofl.
Actually I do remember that.

aria

Reaction score
They were HUGE Stars fans too. When you go to a Stars game and you here that DALLAS --- STARS -- DALLAS -- STARS and then the heavy riff behind it. That was Pantera!
Oh, I’m well aware :) They used to have season tickets and you would see them at auite a few games.

I used to have a CFH tattoo but had it removed because it looked horrible and I wanted a full sleeve without a cover up. I’ve had plans to get a traditional tattoo that honors Dime, I already have the idea, just need to find the right artist.

aria

Reaction score
Caught one of Vinnies sticks in the pit at the Starplex in Dallas where they had some of their most epic shows, Phil OD’ing, amongst one of them.

2GiyWVE_d.jpg

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not a good picture at all but I bought this in an auction a few years ago. It was never released to the public and taken by a local photographer in ‘89. Notice Dime was still signing his name Diamond and it was still the old school Pantera logo. This poster is pretty unique because they are in the middle of transitioning from glam to heavy metal. I had tons of friends that met them over the years and they all said they were the coolest, most down to earth guys. If you ever get a chance watch the Pantera home videos called Watch It Go. I’ve seen so many of their shows I can’t recall (and due to drugs and alcohol, lol). Also lucky enough to see Damage Plan a few weeks before Dime was shot.

Oh yeah, Vinnie was also a huge Cowboys fan. He always wore a Cowboys hat, shirt or headband.

Y6bXKFv_d.jpg

I met Phil not too long ago (on tour with his band Superjoint). Pretty cool guy but he was completely hammered, so it was hard to tell.

Btw, Pantera also had a Cowboys Star on their tour bus.

aria

Reaction score
I met Phil not too long ago (on tour with his band Superjoint). Pretty cool guy but he was completely hammered, so it was hard to tell.

Btw, Pantera also had a Cowboys Star on their tour bus.
I lost a lot of respect for Phil years ago and got sick of his antics but nice to hear he seemed pretty cool. I know tons of peollle that have met Dime and Vinnie but very few, if any, that have met Phil.

Hardline

Reaction score
Last time I seen Vinnie was when Dimebag was still alive. They both were at Billy Bob's in the Ft. Worth Stocktards for a David Allen Coe concert.

aria

Reaction score
Not me, it’s one of my buds from back in the day. He ran into them at a Stars game, it’s just such an awesome picture I had to share it. Soooooo jealous! Crazy to think how happy they were there and now.....

qyU4QbA_d.jpg

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Not me, it’s one of my buds from back in the day. He ran into them at a Stars game, it’s just such an awesome picture I had to share it. Soooooo jealous! Crazy to think how happy they were there and now.....

qyU4QbA_d.jpg
Back when them Stars were killer emmer shuffers!
Awesome pic.

zerofill

Reaction score
Yeah sucks! Saw this yesterday as well. Too bad Phil and Vinnie couldn't get back on good terms again as well. I had a feeling that might finally happen within the next couple of years, from various things said. That were getting less colder over time...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I lost a lot of respect for Phil years ago and got sick of his antics but nice to hear he seemed pretty cool. I know tons of peollle that have met Dime and Vinnie but very few, if any, that have met Phil.

He used to split off and go off with other people. (hence his other drug habits)

I definitely don't have any respect for Phil and there is a lot not to respect about him. He just isn't a good person. He is hate filled.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Actually I do remember that.

I posted this earlier, but I suppose it was deleted due to an interesting gesture that was being made. I've blacked that out this time to appease the mods. :)

Anyhow, this was me (in the Metallica shirt) about the time I was going to Joe's Garage to see Pantera. Recall seeing me? :D

bp7nZj.jpg

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vinnie Paul is about the only drummer I have listened to that it seems like I hear something new from the drums when I would listen to a Pantera CD.

Would wear the CDs out but then catch myself finding a new little wrinkle he would throw in here and there.

No matter how many time someone talks about how good of a drummer he is, he is STILL underrated IMO.

We had some thunderstorms the other day and someone from work said it was Vinnie Paul and Dime playing together again.

aria

Reaction score
I posted this earlier, but I suppose it was deleted due to an interesting gesture that was being made. I've blacked that out this time to appease the mods. :)

Anyhow, this was me (in the Metallica shirt) about the time I was going to Joe's Garage to see Pantera. Recall seeing me? :D

bp7nZj.jpg
Haha...that’s friggin sweet! Vintage!

aria

Reaction score
Vinnie Paul is about the only drummer I have listened to that it seems like I hear something new from the drums when I would listen to a Pantera CD.

Would wear the CDs out but then catch myself finding a new little wrinkle he would throw in here and there.

No matter how many time someone talks about how good of a drummer he is, he is STILL underrated IMO.

We had some thunderstorms the other day and someone from work said it was Vinnie Paul and Dime playing together again.
The thunderstorms....that’s cool and a tear jerker. I can’t imagine what their dad is going through, out living his wife and 2 sons. I read that Vinnie will be buried between his mom and Dime.

I’ve always wanted to go to Dimes grave to pay my respects but haven’t done it yet, it won’t be easy. I went to his house after everything went down took a shot of black tooth grin and left a memento of sorts. Security drove by but they were cool, I didn’t lwant to be disrespectful to the neighbors so I didn’t linger but there were lots of people who had left things.

I imagine I’ll be putting off going to the grave for another year or two, not sure I could handle seeing a fresh mound of dirt, I’d probably lose it.

On a better note, most of you probably know but Dime was buried in a KISS Coffin, a BLS jacket and Van Halens bumble bee guitar.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
RIP, VP. We had good times back in the day... even in Abilene. I know you are in a better place now with your mom and brother. Sorry, we lost touch over the years but that's just life. You'll always be much respected, especially here in Texas, that's because besides being a badass musician, you were one of the most down to earth, cool guys to ever walk on this round rock we all share. I celebrate your life, my old friend. :yourock: Watch out heaven, the hell raising Abbott brothers are together again.

aria

Reaction score
Fellas/ladies, in case you’re in the DFW area...I’m sure it will be an absolute cluster with people lining up well before noon. The place only holds 4,300 people and that’s if they open the upstairs. I’m going to try to go but am not sure yet. Can’t believe I was just there a few weeks ago banging to Slayer and leaving a great taste in my mouth. Now it will be exciting yet depressing and leaving me with the taste of several black tooth grins in my mouth. Still bummed :(

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/music/article213989519.html

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Fellas/ladies, in case you’re in the DFW area...I’m sure it will be an absolute cluster with people lining up well before noon. The place only holds 4,300 people and that’s if they open the upstairs. I’m going to try to go but am not sure yet. Can’t believe I was just there a few weeks ago banging to Slayer and leaving a great taste in my mouth. Now it will be exciting yet depressing and leaving me with the taste of several black tooth grins in my mouth. Still bummed :(

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/music/article213989519.html
Good luck getting a wristband. Celebrate VP's life, dude. Don't be sad. :yourock: