Video: Vintage Romo

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo gave fans a little light at the end of the Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, Hutchinson, and Henson dark tunnel. He was the ultimate underdog. But, he couldn't overcome his own mistakes or lack of postseason production. He had playoff caliber teams. He just never got over the hump.
Some of those same Romo fans who didn't see the 70's and 90'd teams have no choice but to think Romo got crewed by everything else but him.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
This is Vintage Romo:

This was the type of awful protection he received for so many years.

But the primary reason for Romo's lack of post season success was due to the mostly bad defenses he had. The best teams he had were the 2006 and the 2014 teams, neither of which had defenses that were better than average. He also seemed to be snake-bit. There always seemed to be a play that should've made by a member of his team that he put them into a position to make only to have them fail that he would then press to compensate for which would result in a bad play by him. Thus the label of him as "choker" which was also unfairly due to the media.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
It is amazing to me that this thread got railroaded. Romo was a very special player for this franchise. He had a long list of personal accomplishments. This thread was meant to appreciate him and those accomplishments.

Whatever your opinion of Romo, the facts are:
he had great personal career numbers, most of his teams had weak defenses, most of his teams had poor running games, he spent most of his career with an underachieving and an inexperienced head coach, his teams never had much playoff success.

Those are facts. Romo pumped life into the franchise.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It is amazing to me that this thread got railroaded. Romo was a very special player for this franchise. He had a long list of personal accomplishments. This thread was meant to appreciate him and those accomplishments.

he had great personal career numbers, most of his teams had weak defenses, most of his teams had poor running games, he spent most of his career with an underachieving and an inexperienced head coach, his teams never had much playoff success.

There have been a lot of facts, both positive and negative. They can all be acknowledged as such.

aria

Reaction score

How are you surprised when there is a similar thread every week? It’s obvious a lot of people are sick of talking about Romo and the past. It’s not that everyone hates him or thinks he was a bad QB. It’s more like hearing a song on the radio I really enjoy, at first it’s awesome and I love to hear it, but after the 1,000th time in a couple weeks I can’t stand the song and hate it even though it’s still a good song.

Romo is gone, it’s over, move on. While we’re at it, why don’t we start a new Aikman thread every week or even a Staubach thread? They did more than Romo ever dreamed of. When will this love affair with Romo stop? He was an above average QB that never got it done. He will be remembered for helping us win a lot of games and choking in a lot of games, that’s his legacy. Do we really need to talk about it so often?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

And it's ok to also point other facts not mentioned in your post. There's no reason why you can't have a serious discussion illustrating all points. Not just Romo was awesome and all of his teams sucked.

GMO415

Reaction score
Romo was remarkable if you think about it.....he was never drafted, yet he holds most of the team's QB records in the most storied franchise of the NFL.

I think someday they'll make a motion picture about him.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo was remarkable if you think about it.....he was never drafted, yet he holds most of the team's QB records in the most storied franchise of the NFL.

I think someday they'll make a motion picture about him.
Who would get the lead role?

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
You were mockingly posting about it being a loss with huge stats. I pointed out how the win should have happened. We did not post the same thing.
You misunderstood me I was referring to Tony Romo as a whole. Ironically the OP used a game that referenced my point. I love Romo he didnt have the peices around him to get it done but he still managed to keep Dallas in the pot.

erod

Reaction score
Fantastic addition to the discussion!
Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman have both called Tony Romo the best quarterback in Cowboys history.

They're right.

Troy would have been pulverized on Romo's teams. Staubach couldn't outscore Romo's historically worst Cowboys defenses of all time either.

Romo played on 3-13 rosters all but his first year and 2014. Horrific offensive lines and/or comically bad defenses. Somehow, he kept getting those teams to winning records.

He was brilliant until the pounding got the best of him.

You have to understand football to get this.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman have both called Tony Romo the best quarterback in Cowboys history.

They're right.

Troy would have been pulverized on Romo's teams. Staubach couldn't outscore Romo's historically worst Cowboys defenses of all time either.

Romo played on 3-13 rosters all but his first year and 2014. Horrific offensive lines and/or comically bad defenses. Somehow, he kept getting those teams to winning records.

I understand comparing eras separated by 40 years is pretty ridiculous. I've defended Romo over the years he played from the idiotic insults and exaggerations, I'm not supporting fans who think Romo was the best QB in Dallas history. You can be as condescending about "football IQ" all you want, I couldn't possibly care less.

Romo was a very good QB, but he was part of the teams' collapses. From his very first season taking starting snaps. I get you think Romo could do no wrong, but you look silly. Especially with all of your assumptions.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

They're right.

Exactly right E.

You are the only post I read in this entire thread because you know how the 5%ers are.

They've been marginalized over the years, no reason to pile on and I don't want to get dragged into the mud all these years later. Romo has a better career INT% than both Staubach and Aikman, and Elway and Marino, and Roethlisberger, etc. He was on national TV every single week so whenever this happened (I can name about five times) the perception is skewed above the reality.

This game, more than any other, is the perfect example of football IQ. Anybody who blames this particular loss on Romo simply doesn't have a clue about team sports.

erod

Reaction score
I understand comparing eras separated by 40 years is pretty ridiculous. I've defended Romo over the years he played from the idiotic insults and exaggerations, I'm not supporting fans who think Romo was the best QB in Dallas history. You can be as condescending about "football IQ" all you want, I couldn't possibly care less.

Romo was a very good QB, but he was part of the teams' collapses. From his very first season taking starting snaps. I get you think Romo could do no wrong, but you look silly. Especially with all of your assumptions.
I saw every game that Roger and Troy played. Dallas won a LOT of games when the offense didn't score much at all and those QBs played poorly.

Romo never had that luxury. He played with trash mixed with shiny Jerry toys here and there.

The truth isn't condescending. It's just the truth.

erod

Reaction score
Exactly right E.

You are the only post I read in this entire thread because you know how the 5%ers are.

They've been marginalized over the years, no reason to pile on and I don't want to get dragged into the mud all these years later. Romo has a better career INT% than both Staubach and Aikman, and Elway and Marino, and Roethlisberger, etc. He was on national TV every single week so whenever this happened (I can name about five times) the perception is skewed above the reality.

This game, more than any other, is the perfect example of football IQ. Anybody who blames this particular loss on Romo simply doesn't have a clue about team sports.
Bingo.

Romo had to win the game 4 or 5 times every Sunday it seemed. The defense rarely put the clamps on with a lead or held teams down so the offense could find its footing.

Brady, Manning, Troy, Staubach...they rarely have had that problem. Wentz/Foles didn't have that problem last year.

Romo covered for the whole lousy organization.

And if not for Parcells, Jerry would have cut him to keep Henson and Hutchinson.

aria

Reaction score
Romo may have been a better QB is several areas but he made some of the worst possible decisions at the worst possible times and that negates A LOT IMO. I don’t care how well a QB played in regular season games, if they consistently made bad choices when it mattered most then it was all for naught.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Losing shoot outs sucks, but I guess getting blowed out is better?

I don't remember Romo ever losing 4 games by 20+ during any season he started every game, unlike Dak.

Just saying;)
None of it’s good I would prefer to win. I could careless about comparing a second year QB to a retired QB. I don’t homer for Romo or Dak so when I read replies like this I make emoji
:facepalm:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I saw every game that Roger and Troy played. Dallas won a LOT of games when the offense didn't score much at all and those QBs played poorly.

Romo never had that luxury. He played with trash mixed with shiny Jerry toys here and there.

The truth isn't condescending. It's just the truth.
Again, attempting to compare eras and justifying it is just silly.
Romo had playoff caliber teams around him. Let's stop pretending he carried everyone. He was par at best in the postseason. Otherwise his record and numbers would reflect the riding you are doing.

erod

Reaction score
Again, attempting to compare eras and justifying it is just silly.
Romo had playoff caliber teams around him. Let's stop pretending he carried everyone. He was par at best in the postseason. Otherwise his record and numbers would reflect the riding you are doing.
Did you miss the 2014 season?

Did you see Patrick Crayton drop/fail to catch the winning TD twice against the Giants?

Otherwise, Romo was just dragging 5-11 teams into the playoffs.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Did you miss the 2014 season?

Did you see Patrick Crayton drop/fail to catch the winning TD twice against the Giants?

Otherwise, Romo was just dragging 5-11 teams into the playoffs.
Lmao! Here we go again! And you dare to take jabs at other fans' football smarts? Ahahaha!