Video: Vintage Romo

DFWJC

Reaction score
Good point...............Until it was applied to Romo, I had never heard of "records in elimination games" before.
Yeah, it's some bs made up thing for haters to capitalize on...and criticize and a specific, cherry-picked, individual player regarding a team accomplishment.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yeah, it's some bs made up thing for haters to capitalize on...and criticize and a specific, cherry-picked, individual player regarding a team accomplishment.
Not true it was brought up with Manning too before he won his first SB. And Manning is a way better QB.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

It's not used to criticize Romo. It might be an inconvenient truth though. It is used as a rebuttal against claims that Romo never had a chance. If those ridiculous claims would stop being made, there would be no need to bring up the fact he did actually have chances.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not true it was brought up with Manning too before he won his first SB. And Manning is a way better QB.
Of course Peyton Manning was better.
I know he too was unfairly criticized until led his team to the big one....but no, I do not think the term "elimination games (especially regarding the regular season) was ever used for Peyton Manning.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I know he too was unfairly criticized until led his team to the big one....but no, I do not think the term "elimination games (especially regarding the regular season) was ever used for Peyton Manning.
It was he was constantly criticized for his playoff success which was elimination games. He was good enough to lock up his team's playoff chances before week 17.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It was he was constantly criticized for his playoff success which was elimination games. He was good enough to lock up his team's playoff chances before week 17.
I'd have to see it, Hennessy, to believe it. The actual term "elimination game"...and before it was ever used for Tony.
I will agree that he was criticized though. I clearly recall that.

I remember Dirk was with the Mavs too. Until he wasn't.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

It wasn't. He was accused of not being able to win the big game after a while. Then the term "one and done" was created for him because he had something like 8 seasons of playoff appearances with no wins. It's what happens when something occurs that stands out. Dallas sort of stood out for having so many "elimination" games in week 17 in which them and their opponent were both playing for the division title and the loser went home. It draws attention to those games, especially when they are play in prime time as the last regular season game of the season.

Most games in week 17 are either irrelevant or need an outcome of a different game factored into the equation of the fate of the teams playing. But the Cowboys managed to have what amounted to NFC East title game in 4 of 6 season. That's pretty unique.

So, I can't believe any of our fans turned those games on at 7:15 CST on a Sunday night believing those particular games meant nothing more than the previous 15 games. I wouldn't buy it for a second.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

People had to look at week 17 play in games for Dallas and Romo because the Cowboys missed the playoffs so often. They didn't get to the truly "big games" that QBs are often judged by. Therefore, we could only go back to see how they performed in their teams biggest games, which for us was week 17 and low level playoff games.

Jkyle

Reaction score
One thing never mentioned in that Broncos game was that the LB hit Escobar beyond 5 yards down the field which help alter his route and allowed the LB to undercut the throw for the interception. That and Tyron Smith stepping on Romo's foot led to the disastrous end.
One good thing that came from that ending was that I think it made Romo realize that checking down to the RB, Murray, was a good safe option. I think it led to the successful season in 2015 when Romo relied heavily on the Running game.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

I'd have to see it, Hennessy, to believe it. The actual term "elimination game"...and before it was ever used for Tony.
I will agree that he was criticized though. I clearly recall that.

I remember Dirk was with the Mavs too. Until he wasn't.
Yeh it was only used for Romo because who else had that many week 17 win or go home games. Other Qb's are usually criticized for playoff success which is pretty much the same thing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Wrong.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It isn’t a real thing... it’s made up. If I go to NFL.com one day and on Peyton Manning’s stat sheet (that has dozens of obscure stats and splits) I see elimination games, then I will welcome it to the discussion. I can’t have a discussion with people about made up concepts... I don’t even know what they’re talking about.
The funny thing is, it’s not like this team has been any good in the playoffs over the last two decades. Pretty much every point that is trying to be made can easily be made just using playoff games, and the data about playoff games isn't imaginary, it’s available for all to see and indisputable.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It isn’t a real thing... it’s made up. If I go to NFL.com one day and on Peyton Manning’s stat sheet (that has dozens of obscure stats and splits) I see elimination games, then I will welcome it to the discussion. I can’t have a discussion with people about made up concepts... I don’t even know what they’re talking about.
The funny thing is, it’s not like this team has been any good in the playoffs over the last two decades. Pretty much every point that is trying to be made can easily be made just using playoff games, and the data about playoff games isn't imaginary, it’s available for all to see and indisputable.

So do you think claims that "Romo never had a chance" is a real concept? Can I go to NFL.com and see that stat of which QBs actually had a shot at winning and those who didn't?

DFWJC

Reaction score
What I don't get is that when someone wanting to put a few smiles on the faces of people in the an otherwise down CowboysZone, posts something fun and entertaining, it still ends up bringing out so many critics in the process.
The OP was just trying to do a feel good think, but people just can't help themselves, crapping all over it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
What I don't get is that when someone wanting to put a few smiles on the faces of people in the an otherwise down CowboysZone, posts something fun and entertaining, it still ends up bringing out so many critics in the process.
The OP was just trying to do a feel good think, but people just can't help themselves, crapping all over it.

Well, how do you think that started? Go back and read the thread. One person acknowledge the OP was trying to be nice but pointed out it resulted in a loss. That led to the instant defense of Romo..."it's not his fault". The man can not be objectively discussed. It is impossible.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Btw, I DO think the team really was possibly good enough one season...in 2007.
But even that year, the Pats went undefeated and had beaten that team by 3 TDs early in the season.
But yes, I've never been one to say they never possibly could do it.
However, no other Dallas team was really Super Bowl caliper in the last 20+ years.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If the same were done for Dak the internet would explode from the zone hatred.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Btw, I DO think the team really was possibly good enough one season...in 2007.
But even that year, the Pats went undefeated and had beaten that team by 3 TDs early in the season.
But yes, I've never been one to say they never possibly could do it.
No other Dallas team was really Super Bowl caliper in the last 20+ years.

I don't believe the team would have won the Super Bowl. I don't judge the team on Super Bowl or bust.

Do you think the team was good enough to beat the following?

Seattle in 2006
NY Giants in 2007
Philadelphia in 2008
Minnesota in 2009
NY Giants in 2011
Washington in 2012
Philadelphia in 2013 (with Orton)
Green Bay in 2014

The only 2 games I did not believe the Cowboys would win out of that list is the last 2. That leaves 6 other games that I believed were winnable. I don't expect a perfect 6-0 record there, but is wanting something like 3-3 unreasonable?

That's why I discuss this so much. I had all kinds of confidence in Romo. I believed the team could win with him. We just needed to line back up the next year and give it another go. But I refuse to now look back with hindsight and claim he didn't have a chance to try and save him from criticism. Romo fans were confident the team was going to win with him, they weren't setting the bar low. They were pumping up expectations while the Romo haters were trying to lower them during his career. That's a big about face in confidence level now that his career is over.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
So do you think claims that "Romo never had a chance" is a real concept? Can I go to NFL.com and see that stat of which QBs actually had a shot at winning and those who didn't?
I’m not sure why anyone would say Romo never had a chance. He was a starting QB for 10 seasons in the NFL and they made the playoffs 3 out his first 4 years starting. Every year you have a chance, however small. The “never had a chance” stuff should be reserved for the majority of the back half of his career on the teams with the horrible defenses.