Video: Vintage Romo

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I’m not sure what’s so controversial. Aikman was a ball control QB who handed off, and robotically delivered slants and outs behind a mountainous offensive line. He was also pedestrian in the second half of his career, especially in the playoffs, despite being in his prime. It’s hardly the type of career you can fill an appreciation thread up with highlights and memories. I’m sure Aikman is fine with it.
I'm talking about Romo. Get with it man.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m not sure what’s so controversial. Aikman was a ball control QB who handed off, and robotically delivered slants and outs behind a mountainous offensive line. He was also pedestrian in the second half of his career, especially in the playoffs, despite being in his prime. It’s hardly the type of career you can fill an appreciation thread up with highlights and memories. I’m sure Aikman is fine with it.

By 97 Aikman was no longer in his prime neither was the team. He took a terrible beating his first couple of seasons which led to a number of concussions and back surgery early in his career. Although his prime years weren’t very long he was done at 33, you could fill up a thread with Troy Aikman highlights. Did you even witness his career? You make it sound like his career was a dud. Lol At least most of his highlights led to 3 championships. Even during the first couple of years of his career he made some great plays despite how bad the team was.

One of the greatest throws Troy ever made was against the Cardinals his rookie year. In the teeth of a strong pass rush he threw a perfect strike to James Dixon for a 75 yard TD despite being drilled. He suffered one of his worst concussions after that throw. Checkout the video. That was the throw when I knew without any doubt that Aikman would be a great one. Another great throw by Aikman was to Rocket during the 99 season opener against Washington. He tossed 5 TDs that day.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

did you watch aikman? He was incredible.

In what world does trying to minimize Aikmans Career to make a case for Romo make sense?

Both these guys were incredible. If romo got to play with one of the all time greatest players in Emmitt Smith, an incredible defense and Jimmy Johnson running everything in his prime he would have championships. He didn't and he doesn't but his career was still fantastic.

Both of these guys were amazing to watch.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Jerry wouldn't say a lot of things. Doesn't make it no true.
Do you really think Romo wasted Jerry's chance vs the other way around?
Maybe I'm missing something.
Honest question

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The Day everything turned to positives for Aikman and then the cowboys. The day the dynasty started. at LA 1990.

offbalance and off his back foot..perfect pass about 50 yards down the field.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The very first postseason drive at home for the cowboys in 10 years and Aikmans first start in the post season. Throws his first TD.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Our records when Romo was QB for most of the season were
10-6
13-3
9-7
11-5
8-8
8-8
8-8 (8-7 but then missed week 17)
12-4

I get you're not a big fan....and I'm not sure if you're one of them (I'll you're brighter than that and will assume not) but I've never understood why people thought we were mainly 8-8 with him.
5 winning seasons
3 .500 seasons ...
never one losing season

8-8 was the very worst

His season records started to go down around 2010 and afterwards.......................I wonder what happened around 2010 and forward?

Oh that's right, the Clapper took over as head coach:thumbup:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Man we really forgot how great Aikman was. Every pass is so accurate with so much velocity and perfect spirals.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This thread not only points to the disappointment of this season but the sad state of the franchise. You have many gushing over great plays by Romo in games the Cowboys lost. Much of this fan base is still stuck on a QB that had a 2-4 playoff record. Some are so put off with Dak they’re ready to move on and use a high draft pick on another QB or start Rush next season who’s never taken a regular season snap.

I actually feel sorry for Dak...............a lot fans (not me) hate Dak because he is the one that took Romo's job and even when Romo asked the organization if he could compete for the starting job, he was told no. So, if it was not for Dak, Romo would have got his job back.

Ergo, its Dak's fault Romo is gone.............bottom line is that unless Dak wins a ring for this franchise, he will always be hated by a large segment of the fan base. And yes, there are some that are actively rooting for Dak to suck because they don't want the QB that replaced Romo to succeed.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I actually feel sorry for Dak...............a lot fans (not me) hate Dak because he is the one that took Romo's job and even when Romo asked the organization if he could compete for the starting job, he was told no. So, if it was not for Dak, Romo would have got his job back.

Ergo, its Dak's fault Romo is gone.............bottom line is that unless Dak wins a ring for this franchise, he will always be hated by a large segment of the fan base. And yes, there are some that are actively rooting for Dak to suck because they don't want the QB that replaced Romo to succeed.
It's not Dak's fault romo couldn't last more than 1 series in preseason. Romo's injuries were holding the team hostage.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
And just to prove it's just not about Romo, Dak has had 2 opportunities to extend our season and is now 0-2. Couldn't pull out the victory. It's not all his fault but lost 2 winnable games in 2 seasons so far.

Yep, Dak is getting a taste of what Romo had to deal with his entire career..............defense is crap, but the L is still on your resume.

Ergo, Dak is 0-1 in the playoffs.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Romo was part of postseason or late season failure. It was never ALL Romo, but he played his part.

When does this start applying to our genius head coach?

He has been a part of postseason or last season failure as well, in fact 8 yrs worth.......................when does he start getting the Romo treatment?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Do you really think Romo wasted Jerry's chance vs the other way around?
Maybe I'm missing something.
Honest question
I think they went hand in hand. I think Jerry overrated Romo here. He wasn't a top tier qb. He wasn't Peyton or Brady or Brees......but Jerry treated like him was. So should I fault Romo because Jerry overrated him? No.

But I also think you can make a argument that there were some years where Romo just wasn't very good in December.

I blame them both.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Good point...............Until it was applied to Romo, I had never heard of "records in elimination games" before.
Strange it has been around a long time The Seattle game was one this season guess who choked? And no his name does not start with an R

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I think they went hand in hand. I think Jerry overrated Romo here. He wasn't a top tier qb. He wasn't Peyton or Brady or Brees......but Jerry treated like him was. So should I fault Romo because Jerry overrated him? No.

But I also think you can make a argument that there were some years where Romo just wasn't very good in December.

I blame them both.
We would love to see you make that argument so we can laugh in your face as always.
I mean it’s not like Romo’s numbers in December aren’t publically available, and we can’t see that if his whole career was just his December numbers, he would be the 9th highest rated passer in NFL history. It’s also not like December is any different than October, or any other month with regular season games. But please carry on with your low IQ argument. Should be fascinating...