Voch: Cooper Beebe and Deuce Vaughn game film breakdown

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Mark said:
Without any meaningful preseason touches, who really knows how Zeke's presumably diminished skills might compare with the rest of a currently-crowded offensive backfield? He didn't exactly set things on fire in NE last season. I'm not sure he's in the top 3.

Could be. However, I suspect Zeke's now being afforded a TON of family/elder courtesy, based on past performance (by the team that cut him). All of which could evaporate quickly once the reality of a new regular season sets in. Remember, he was a 3.2 YPC RB last year in NE. We can probably agree that such numbers will not cut it here at all?
3.5, but yeah, it's a concern for fans. I don't think the team has those concerns or it would be playing him other than in joint practices to see if he's the Zeke of old or just an old Zeke. I don't think it expects him to average that here (knowing the last two years he was here, he started the seasons strong but faded after knee injuries). If he does, then obviously they will look at other options.

I don't know what the split is going to be, but I think the way they are treating him and Dowdle shows that the plan is for them to split carries. Not sure how much a third back is going to figure into the running back by committee plan. Freeman essentially would just offer a Zeke-like middle runner to sub in in a ground-and-pound plan. Vaughn offers a change-up, but he's got to show that a change-up is needed or can be effective. He did a good job of that against the Raiders.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I’d go Dowdle, Vaughn, Freeman and cut Zeke but that ain’t happening.
It would definitely be a surprise at this point. But without him, we'd be relying on a whole lot of non-starting NFL experience. That's a bit scary to me, but there are question marks whether he's kept or not because his last two years here did not end well and he only averaged 3.5 with the Patriots.

I actually won't be surprised if Elliott starts strong, because that's what he did in his final two years here before he was cut. I also will not be surprised if some injury derails that strong start, just like it did then. He's just at that point in his career that his body can't hold up anymore. Maybe a lesser workload will help, but I doubt it.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I am a Deuce believer through and through, for context.

There is an important opening note made the first minute of this video -

Vaughn was running against the Raiders first team defense.

I've seen multiple posts here from posters under the impression that the Raiders were running their 2s and 3s. They weren't. They ran their 1s during the first quarter. Including Maxx Corsby, one of the best DEs in the league.

Vaughn averaged 6.8 ypc on 5 attempts against starters. Are the Raiders a vaunted defense? Absolutely not. But he still had success in the limited touches he received.

Deuce's size is what makes him special. Look at him squeeze through that tiny gap in this film. The LBs know he's coming, but can't even see him, and then when he slips by they have to change up their angle of attack. His size literally can act as an advantage.

People here are saying Dowdle, Zeke, Luepke are all locks with Freeman or whoever else in the mix, Vaughn on the bubble. They're probably right, but I hope not. Because today's NFL is an offensive game, and you need offensive playmakers. Home run hitters. At the RB position, those guys are Dowdle and Vaughn. We have a sweet new OL for them to run behind. Guys like Freeman may get you three or four yards consistently, but that's not worth cutting guys who are playmakers. Playmakers are harder to find.
Agree 100%, I know Freeman had a good camp but just stash him on the practice squad if they can.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Zeke’s to slow to the hole.

I like Zeke in short yardage and as a 3rd down guy but he isn’t a early down guy who can spark a drive.
Which is why I was saying the new and improved line will get him to the second level. He's only 29 and looks to be in better shape than he has the last several years. We will see. Hopefully at the end of the season we all can say we were wrong about bringing him back.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Which is why I was saying the new and improved line will get him to the second level. He's only 29 and looks to be in better shape than he has the last several years. We will see. Hopefully at the end of the season we all can say we were wrong about bringing him back.
One of the reasons I liked the thought of Beebe starting at center was because of the power we'd have up the middle. Beebe is a mauler and he's between two All-Pros. This offensive staff also has shown that it prefers an inside zone blocking scheme/running between the tackles. If there is an offense that's built for Zeke at this point in his career, it could be this one. He's a between-the-tackles runner who doesn't offer much on the outside. He can be the hammer behind a massive wedge of humanity. It may not work out, but I think it's the best chance he has of putting up a season more like his earlier ones than his later ones. We'll see how it works.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I would divide things evenly between Vaughn and Freeman. Give each one every other drive.

We know Davis and Peat aren't going to make the team, so don't waste the carries on them. We know Elliott and Dowdle are going to make the team, so same thing, especially since we don't seem to want to play our "starters."
Deuce Vaughn and Hunter Luepke, should be starting next week. These two are the future stars ,if they are used right.I would definitely run out of the I formation behind Beebe and Smith and Guyton. And use them both in the passing game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It would definitely be a surprise at this point. But without him, we'd be relying on a whole lot of non-starting NFL experience. That's a bit scary to me, but there are question marks whether he's kept or not because his last two years here did not end well and he only averaged 3.5 with the Patriots.

I actually won't be surprised if Elliott starts strong, because that's what he did in his final two years here before he was cut. I also will not be surprised if some injury derails that strong start, just like it did then. He's just at that point in his career that his body can't hold up anymore. Maybe a lesser workload will help, but I doubt it.
Yeah I think Zeke has 5-7 good weeks in him then he will be terrible.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Hate to interrupt the love fest for the Deuce, but that film clip was also about Cooper Beebe, and Beebe was an absolute BEAST!!
Wow, when you're watching the game your eyes have a lot of directions to go trying to follow the RB, the QB, etc, but in the meantime Beebe was pancaking people! LOL This film clip really showed what Beebe can do! This guy is gonna be great!

Mark

Reaction score
Zeke can be a good battering ram on short yardage/goal line but so can Luepke and Freeman. He serves no real purpose here.
My thoughts, as well. Am struggling to understand how carving out a reserved roster spot for ZE elevates this younger, hungrier corps of backs...with only half-speed practice drills for reference.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's no secret that the combo of Beebe and Deuce Vaughn made a good impression on anyone watching them play Saturday night!

Any Cowboys fan who was inclined to watch that preseason game had to be highly impressed with the rushing show they provided.

Speaking for myself, I was, substantially, quite encouraged to take notice of the fine performance of that o-line and Vaughn, as well.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I think he took a step in front of Freeman last night. Right now, Zeke, Dowdle and Vaughn would be my top three backs with Luepke as the fullback. Plus, I think there's a good chance we could get Freeman on the PS since he wasn't a highly coveted FA this year.
Being here a year helped him.

But gotta mention that the OLine (even w/o all starters) was pushing guys around last night. Pushing around LV starters.

That left side: Guyton - Smith - Beebe could be something. Get Martin pulling and oh geez that's a lot of beef

Good run blocking improves the run game and that takes pressure off Dak to carry the offense like he did last season

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It's no secret that the combo of Beebe and Deuce Vaughn made a good impression on anyone watching them play Saturday night!

Any Cowboys fan who was inclined to watch that preseason game had to be highly impressed with the rushing show they provided.

Speaking for myself, I was, substantially, quite encouraged to take notice of the fine performance of that o-line and Vaughn, as well.
Agreed, I think we have ourselves an OL we can be proud of, and they're just getting started!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Zeke can be a good battering ram on short yardage/goal line but so can Luepke and Freeman. He serves no real purpose here.
Now that's just not true.

He serves the purpose of making the egomaniacal owner feel better by having one of his all time pets back home in the county club.

sbark

Reaction score
He never had a chance to dance last year. Guys were on him as soon as he had the ball.
Best watch his preseason games.....his stuff worked preseason game 1, 2. Thats when his legend started.

...but as rosters got trimmed, effectivness less & less. Reg season games very ineffective.

As He isnt gonna pass protect....when he is in there down to run it or short pattern....
.....blitz to stop the run on the way to QB.
Simplicity

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Best watch his preseason games.....his stuff worked preseason game 1, 2. Thats when his legend started.

...but as rosters got trimmed, effectivness less & less. Reg season games very ineffective.

As He isnt gonna pass protect....when he is in there down to run it or short pattern....
.....blitz to stop the run on the way to QB.
Simplicity
Deuce has improved on his pocket pass protect this training camp, including his running. No more dancing in the backfield. 1 step then he makes a move forward to gain positive yards.