Voch: Cooper Beebe and Deuce Vaughn game film breakdown

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This place is something else. A week ago the tone of the board was he wouldn’t even make the team. Now it’s he needs 20 carries a game. :laugh:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Deuce has improved on his pocket pass protect this training camp, including his running. No more dancing in the backfield. 1 step then he makes a move forward to gain positive yards.
Yeah I was gonna say he’s changed his game some. I think he’s realized due to his size he needs to make his moves quicker. One cut and go. Dancing gonna get him hit in the backfield and the interior should open up for him some this year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without any meaningful preseason touches, who really knows how Zeke's presumably diminished skills might compare with the rest of a currently-crowded offensive backfield? He didn't exactly set things on fire in NE last season. I'm not sure he's in the top 3.
Zeke with a horrible QB last season, and a horrible OL, and a horrible team. He did what he could do.
He is back with Dak. And his blocking will help Dak and the passing game. Which can open the run with an improved OL.
We can have a real goal line threat again as well if that OL improves.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My thoughts, as well. Am struggling to understand how carving out a reserved roster spot for ZE elevates this younger, hungrier corps of backs...with only half-speed practice drills for reference.
There is no younger / hungrier RB corps. They may be younger, but they are not hungrier. Zeke can't do it alone though either.

Dowdle, past injury history.
Davis, just doesn't have it. He has some quickness but still not the guy.
Freeman, has not lived up to his hype coming out of college, but maybe he can put it together here. Need to see more of him, as I think he did decent Saturday night.
Vaughan, I am on the fence about. But his game Saturday he looked pretty good. I am keeping that in context however, because it was a PS game. He made the 53 last season, mostly because they needed a RB and he was a drafted player.
Conner, PS player at best.

Peat, why have they not been using him. I think they want him on the PS, and do not want to expose him to waivers for teams to poach. However, we will see next game how much they use each RB as to who they are trying to protect.
If we see some Freeman and Deuce in the 1st half, and how much each gets, then Davis, Conner and some Peat the rest of the way. We will pretty much know then. But who stays, Freeman or Deuce. Deuce has return capabilities, that is a plus for him

I doubt they keep 5 RB if the include Luepke.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are ya’ll seeing in Freeman to want him over Zeke?
Simple. They just do not like Zeke. The announcers and Dallas announcers (well one of them) said basically you have the same player between Zeke and Freeman.
However, he did not expand upon his reasoning. You know, like many on here. They make a comment, then will not explain or give proof as to why.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brother I think our O-line is going to surprise people. Zeke was a pro-bowler running behind a solid O-line. Even he said in one of the "Sounds from the Sideline" videos that anyone could run behind them. We need to get him to the second level again because not very many people would want to go head-to-head with him. 2018 and 2017 he always got to the second level before he was touched. He got out of shape and lost a step and running behind subpar lines didn't help him either. He's looks to be in better shape. He's only 29. I say he gets over 1000 yards this season.
Not out of shape....hurt.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Simple. They just do not like Zeke. The announcers and Dallas announcers (well one of them) said basically you have the same player between Zeke and Freeman.
However, he did not expand upon his reasoning. You know, like many on here. They make a comment, then will not explain or give proof as to why.
The game I watched were full Raiders . we barely got a comment from them.

One Lance playing pretty good was about it. :rolleyes:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just bizarre. I could see if Zeke was a progres stopper but until proven otherwise he’s the best back in our room and they are telling us this by him not even playing preseason lol. Guys need to get a grip.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah I think Zeke has 5-7 good weeks in him then he will be terrible.
That's probably fair. He did stay healthy in New England with a lower workload, but he also averaged 3.5 YPC there. Since I don't follow the Patriots, it's hard for me to say why that happened. Others have offered reasons (excuses) for it, but I don't know. I just won't be surprised if his season starts off similarly to what it did in 2021-22, when he looked more like the Zeke we drafted and then falls off a cliff because his body just can't hold up at this point in his career.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Being here a year helped him.

But gotta mention that the OLine (even w/o all starters) was pushing guys around last night. Pushing around LV starters.

That left side: Guyton - Smith - Beebe could be something. Get Martin pulling and oh geez that's a lot of beef

Good run blocking improves the run game and that takes pressure off Dak to carry the offense like he did last season
I try to not get too high or too low about preseason performances. Vaughn had a good preseason last year as well and then fell off the map during the regular season. Now, I believe there were reasons for that — we primarily played him when we were trying to run out the clock, which means the defense was completely focused on stopping the run — but we all should know by now not to make too much of any preseason performance. Preseason studs often turn into regular-season duds simply because the other team is playing vanilla instead of scheming them and they are playing against other regular-season duds. I know the Raiders were playing starters on defense, but I don't know what their objective was in doing that. Individual performance is always more important than winning in these exhibitions.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I try to not get too high or too low about preseason performances. Vaughn had a good preseason last year as well and then fell off the map during the regular season. Now, I believe there were reasons for that — we primarily played him when we were trying to run out the clock, which means the defense was completely focused on stopping the run — but we all should know by now not to make too much of any preseason performance. Preseason studs often turn into regular-season duds simply because the other team is playing vanilla instead of scheming them and they are playing against other regular-season duds. I know the Raiders were playing starters on defense, but I don't know what their objective was in doing that. Individual performance is always more important than winning in these exhibitions.
The raiders gave them about as good a test as preseason can give you by playing the starters.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Best watch his preseason games.....his stuff worked preseason game 1, 2. Thats when his legend started.

...but as rosters got trimmed, effectivness less & less. Reg season games very ineffective.

As He isnt gonna pass protect....when he is in there down to run it or short pattern....
.....blitz to stop the run on the way to QB.
Simplicity
During the season, the vast majority of his touches came at the back end of blowouts and teams were playing pure run and just blowing it up in the backfield. He never had a chance.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The raiders gave them about as good a test as preseason can give you by playing the starters.
I don't disagree with that. It was good to see the tackles going against a player like Crosby. But the Raiders didn't gameplan the Cowboys, so that needs to be remembered. They weren't going to do a whole lot of blitzing or stunting (although the Cooper Beebe video in this thread shows that they did some).

Players in the past have said that the speed of the game kicks up another notch in the regular season. These preseason games are primarily meant for learning, for evaluating young players and for tuning up for the regular season.

gimmesix

Reaction score
During the season, the vast majority of his touches came at the back end of blowouts and teams were playing pure run and just blowing it up in the backfield. He never had a chance.
The hope is that what he showed in the few snaps he received when we weren't just trying to run out the clock is more indicative of what he can do. But it's such a small sample size.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Beebe is the strong Center the Cowboys have needed for a while. He will face some really good DTs in the NFC East so we need that strength in there.
BEEBE WILL BE THE BEST CENTER WE HAVE HAD SINCE FRED BEARD,get ready for a great running game. Dallas will be a juggernaut to stop in the run game.