Voch Discussing Jaylon Smith

fivetwos

Reaction score
He either excels big time in a role Nolan creates for him, or if not, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he were released before next year.

I think theres an equal shot of either.

I'm just still surprised that he isnt more humble, considering what happened to him, and what he had to do to overcome it.

I just cant get over the attention he brings to himself in certain cases...both on and off the field.

Praxit

Reaction score
..lol... really doubt it. Jaylon is free to play how he wants or can. He needs play makers around him, to make most of opportunity. Has low level instincts for ball. He's no Sean Lee in his prime.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
47qr69.jpg

Whyjerry

Reaction score
He thinks Jaylon's play last year was affected by Smith's doubt that his teammates could do their jobs.

Thanks for posting. Most perplexing player on the team. Guy was a beast in 2018. 2019 it was ugly and got worse as the season went on. Clearly the guy is an elite athlete. Despite the injury his speed shows. He is great at running plays down and he can deliver a hit. He is also good sliding through blockers. When he is engaged fully by an OL he almost never sheds the block. I also think he plays like a guy that is not prepared. Many times last season you’d watch him and say what the hell is he doing. Clearly the defensive coaches last season were a disgrace so maybe new coaches will get him focused. I agree with Voc that he needs to be in attack mode. Having him line up and back peddle into coverage makes zero sense. In 2018 the LBs played in the box more with aggression. I have no idea what the hell they were doing last season. It bothers me that he avoided contact a lot in the 2H. I also don’t like that he can’t seem to shred bigger blockers. For me he has no excuses this season. Guy should have a great season with the stout DT play that will happen. If not I think the Cowboys have an expensive problem.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He thinks Jaylon's play last year was affected by Smith's doubt that his teammates could do their jobs.

LVE struggled in the Rams playoff game and from the beginning of the season.

Lee struggled in 2019.

The scheme was a disaster with 2 D-Coordinators.

Marinelli had no clue on stopping zone running plays.

Jaylon will be back to his 2018 level of play and maybe slightly better.

People don't review game footage but have extreme opinions.

Video guy is an idiot.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I completely agree that Jaylon might have thought the DT's couldn't do their job. They may have been the worst DT combo in the history of football. Quinn could rush the passer, but had to be one of the worst DE's against the run.

Jaylon was getting mauled by lineman all year long. The guy becomes a liability when he has to shed blocks to get to the ball. He is a finesse, speed linebacker. I personally don't see him as a MLBer. I think he is much better suited for outside linebacker where he can rush more and play on the edges. To me LVE is more of a MLB. I wouldnt be surprised of they made the switch.

But his play last year can never be excused. He just got exposed for what he is and what he isn't. I expect a pro bowl type year this year with Poe and McCoy keeping him clean.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I completely agree that Jaylon might have thought the DT's couldn't do their job. They may have been the worst DT combo in the history of football. Quinn could rush the passer, but had to be one of the worst DE's against the run.

Jaylon was getting mauled by lineman all year long. The guy becomes a liability when he has to shed blocks to get to the ball. He is a finesse, speed linebacker. I personally don't see him as a MLBer. I think he is much better suited for outside linebacker where he can rush more and play on the edges. To me LVE is more of a MLB. I wouldnt be surprised of they made the switch.

But his play last year can never be excused. He just got exposed for what he is and what he isn't. I expect a pro bowl type year this year with Poe and McCoy keeping him clean.
The Cowboys have already said LVE will play MLB this year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From day 1? Its official? Or did they say he might see a little time there?
Definite.

It should be expected because Nolan uses the LBs differently than Marinelli. In the Marinelli defense there was not much difference in MLB and OLB.

There will be a big difference in Nolan's scheme.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Definite.

It should be expected because Nolan uses the LBs differently than Marinelli. In the Marinelli defense there was not much difference in MLB and OLB.

Now I'm interested. Is there any post, or article you could point me to to further elaborate?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

The year we drafted LVE we *were* talking about moving Jaylon to SLB *before* the draft. I think that got scuttled when LVE wasn't available for most all of training camp.

I loved the idea at the time. Jaylon has speed to cut off the edge, and good pass rushing ability. Per rush, he was one of the strongest pass rushers one season.

Run defense - Jaylon SLB, LVE MLB, Lee WLB

Everyone at their natural position. I hope we do it this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s no coincidence that as Antwaun Woods’ performance fell off last year, so did LVE and Smith.

I’m thinking having a legitimate NFL talent at the 1T will help these guys out.

Not just Woods' performance, but his attendance.
6-4 with him
2-4 w/o him

Woods seemed to matter, especially given how thin we were at DT after him and Collins.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The year we drafted LVE we *were* talking about moving Jaylon to SLB *before* the draft. I think that got scuttled when LVE wasn't available for most all of training camp.

I loved the idea at the time. Jaylon has speed to cut off the edge, and good pass rushing ability. Per rush, he was one of the strongest pass rushers one season.

Run defense - Jaylon SLB, LVE MLB, Lee WLB

Everyone at their natural position. I hope we do it this year.
I hope there are shifts. I keep hearing this Cowboys team mucking things up before because of complexity, but I attribute some of that to the previous coaching staff(s). Did I say some? I mean a lot.
I want a more complex D and a less predictable O.

Here's to wishing for the best.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The ability to cover sideline to sideline is his strength. Shedding blocks is the bigger problem. He's just not the tough, hard nosed, take on and fight through blocks kind of guy a team needs in the middle. His strength would be in working with more room on the outside. Unfortunately, that may also apply to LVE, so I'm not sure they have an ideal MLB type.

I'll take LVE in the middle a lot.

Size, length, strength, agility. More burst and short area quickness than Urlacher, with less long speed. Let him be our monster in the middle.

When we don't have Lee, then think about moving him to WLB. But Lee belongs at WLB, where he made All Pro. He was All Pro largely on smarts and instincts. That should stand up.

I don't like Jaylon in the middle for reasons you cite. Don't like him in the wash, like him when he can be pointed in a direction and go. Put him outside to contain the edge, let him blitz.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Definite.

Yep...……..been saying this ever since we drafted LVE and actually before about Jaylon. It was an obvious move once we got a competent coaching staff in here. Amazing how bad the previous coaching staff really was.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll take LVE in the middle a lot.

Size, length, strength, agility. More burst and short area quickness than Urlacher, with less long speed. Let him be our monster in the middle.

When we don't have Lee, then think about moving him to WLB. But Lee belongs at WLB, where he made All Pro. He was All Pro largely on smarts and instincts. That should stand up.

I don't like Jaylon in the middle for reasons you cite. Don't like him in the wash, like him when he can be pointed in a direction and go. Put him outside to contain the edge, let him blitz.
LVE has more the body and size/strength combination for the role than Jaylon, so I agree he is the guy to use in the middle. I think he can grow into the position. It may just be that he needs to get used to the idea he can’t just “out athlete” people like in college, and shift his mindset to more of a hard nosed, take on blockers type mindset. He has the tools.

quickccc

Reaction score
i thought both Jaylon and LVE had their best game of the year vs Saints in '19.
i also thought the mutiny of the coaches had a big impact on the LBs as well,(for the worse)

-one coach wanted players to do Plan A, ,another asst wanted players to do Plan B, and the upper powers
that be at the time, either didn't have a clue how to overseer and intervene as needed, or chose to ignore and have
the mutiny parties work out their own revolution.

- the notorious screen passes that ever abuse these LBs, ..the busted run gap assignments, the missed open field tackles,
rumors of players freelancing, not calling proper signals and assignments, not being in the position needed and not reacting
to tasks and assignments at at hand, questionable leadership.

- i've always tended to believe the Cowboys moved jaylon to middle LB, because of he was quite still in recovery
of his knee nerve damage, and they wanted to reduce the wider field responsibilities, and hide his limitations.
* His 1st year, he was just red shirted, his 2nd year in NFL without an injured Sean Lee, and Hitchens having to move to OLB, Justin Durant on fumes, forced team to have to start Swipe.. and it was hideous. He was so lost and slow to react on a cerebral level
and he was or too limited in mobility to do much physically.
* But he recovered a great deal more, starting getting his forward burst back again in '18 and became a heated missile.
Though we were still surrendering rushing totals On The Road, before the Colts and Rams, the exposure became at it's worst
was really games really exposed us in a crushing manner.

When Jaylon was drafted, Garrett claimed he was a natural Middle LB, ..Michael Irvin proclaimed him as the next Luke Kuehly
He has marvelously rebound to not only play the NFL game again when many had doubts he'd play again period, but he's been remarkably durable. I'll wait to see him officially moved from the middle mike role to OLB.