Voch Is Excited about our UDFA TE

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Since when do TE who run 4.7 seldom get drafted? It’s the average speed for the position. Half the TEs in the league run 4.7s. And if you’re talking about the 6’7” guy… he should have been drafted… we gave him a 250k signing bonus to sign here. McCarthy has been wanting to go to 12 personnel for two seasons now and like to run multiple 3 TE sets. They signed multiple FA TE as UDFA… only to on roster who could block were Ferguson and Schoonmaker!
Looks like we are moving to a power run game and pass when needed and not being one dimensional. Might see good results but may take another draft and a couple or three years to get there.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Fergy ran 4.81
BS-F ran a 4.77
This guy stood out on tape while watching Minnesota RB, dude can block. Glad he's on the team and is officially a pet cat.
Ferguson is the starter. It's going to be a fight between Hendershot, Schoonmaker, and this guy for that #2/#3 spot. Odd man will be out.. His blocking skills will help.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Sad that we are not excited about Schoonmaker.

We may now have the best TE group in the NFL. Too bad we can't figure out how to use them.
I like Schoonmaker. Too many judging him too fast, but I want to see a run game. Championships are seldom won without defense and a run game. I’m excited about a TE who is a very good run blocker. Lamb and Cooks are not blocking WRs. The TE blocking is critical.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I like Schoonmaker. Too many judging him too fast, but I want to see a run game. Championships are seldom won without defense and a run game. I’m excited about a TE who is a very good run blocker. Lamb and Cooks are not blocking WRs. The TE blocking is critical.
This offense is going bigger with the TE development already, and possibly Stephens picking up where he left off, I would say we are hoarding TEs and that's beautiful.
I believe firmly that Luepke has a strong role 2024.
Watch what happens when you can throw a hammer like Luepke behind a regenerated OL and control the LOS.
This OL retool draft was exactly what this team needed, and we came away with some key pieces that have been necessary in order to improve this offense.

rambo2

Reaction score
This offense is going bigger with the TE development already, and possibly Stephens picking up where he left off, I would say we are hoarding TEs and that's beautiful.
I believe firmly that Luepke has a strong role 2024.
Watch what happens when you can throw a hammer like Luepke behind a regenerated OL and control the LOS.
This OL retool draft was exactly what this team needed, and we came away with some key pieces that have been necessary in order to improve this offense.
Stephens is bigger now.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They have alot of capable TEs, Dallas just doesn’t throw to the TEs enough.

kskboys

Reaction score
There are two reasons we couldn’t run the ball last season, and neither problem was the RB.
  1. The center couldn’t push anyone off the line, nor could he get to the second level or down block well enough for others to get to the second level.
  2. Our TEs were terrible run blockers. Too many TE holding penalties due to poor position and technique.
Ferguson was quoted at the HR derby function, saying his primary goal for 2024 is to become a better blocker. We needed a stronger center and better TE blocking. We‘d still like a stud at RB, but that’s not nearly as important as fixing the blocking first.
Schultz would've been an upgrade at blocking.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I agree, but if we are advertising run every time Schoonmaker comes on the field and we don't use him in the passing game, we are making it easy to defend.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I don't think he's necessarily competing with Hendershot for a roster spot. I think he's competing with John Stephens Jr. for the spot that McKeon had. Really liked what Stephens Jr. showed as a receiving tight end last preseason, but he's coming off a major position and already was trying to make the transition from WR to TE. It's possible that we don't carry four TEs, but I'll be surprised if we don't.
:hammer:

or Stephens replaces Hendershot (there were rumors last year he might before the unfortunate ACL) and this guy replaces McKeon

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
:hammer:

or Stephens replaces Hendershot (there were rumors last year he might before the unfortunate ACL) and this guy replaces McKeon
I did like what I saw from Stephens. Hendershot is basically a receiving tight end who shows a little blocking ability, and Stephens right now is probably just a receiving tight end but seems to have more ability there than Hendershot. We'll see how he does coming off the ACL.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I couldn't POSSIBLY care less about TEs

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I agree, but if we are advertising run every time Schoonmaker comes on the field and we don't use him in the passing game, we are making it easy to defend.
Schoonmaker wasn’t a very good blocker either. I was talking about the new TE as an occasional blocking TE. When teams bring in another tackle at TE, it’s to run the ball, but the defense still has to respect the pass even to a tackle eligible.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Schoonmaker wasn’t a very good blocker either. I was talking about the new TE as an occasional blocking TE. When teams bring in another tackle at TE, it’s to run the ball, but the defense still has to respect the pass even to a tackle eligible.
If a blocking TE can not be an offensive threat it is pretty much a waste.