Twitter: Voiding Deals for FINES is not used by any other team in the league

Ken

Reaction score
The language is in the CBA..the Cowboys disadvantage is wording it into their contract they way they do, it's unnecessary.
Denver has the same protection, will be able to void Gregory's guarantees for behavior without having it in their contract because it's in the CBA.
Probably legally stronger in some way to have it in the actual contract that he signs. I am sure this was recommended to them by legal council.

Not something they thought of to just be different.

Dre11

Reaction score
It's not the agents business to cater to the Cowboys and cost himself a lot of money and his client tens of millions of dollars. If he has another offer that is paying the exact same, why would he get Randy Gregory an option that allows the club to kick him to the curb a lot more easily?

It would be inept of the agent to take the lesser deal for Randy Gregory. The agent works for Randy Gregory first and foremost, not the Cowboys. If that language they had was inconsequential and 'never used', they should have had no problem keeping it out and never adding it back.

It's absolutely to not reason a contract and say you never saw this clause before in you 30 years when it was in both your clients contract...he's inept. Or he's lying

Brooksey

Reaction score
Probably legally stronger in some way to have it in the actual contract that he signs. I am sure this was recommended to them by legal council.

Not something they thought of to just be different.

Maybe but If the CBA is clear, it's probably not necessary to be in the contracts

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Because past behaviour is the best indication of future behaviour and hespriven he's selfish and cannot be counted upon too many times.
The thing is though... the same past behavior that got him suspended before, won't get him suspended now since the NFL changed their policy last season.

If the same policy existed when he was drafted, he would never have been suspended.

Ken

Reaction score
Maybe but If the CBA is clear, it's probably not necessary to be in the contracts
I agree, not necessary and they should just take it out.

They lost at least one player that we know of because of it...who knows if there have been others.

To me, Gregory was all about needing something to justify his desire to be in the legal weed CO. He wants to be able to possess it without fear of being arrested and getting some of the gravy train taken away.

He should have just signed there and not made it about a clause.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what I've read lately. It's, essentially, an act of bad faith for a VP to enact such a rule!

In Randy's case, it seems understandable but inserting it at the last minute?! o_O

Sorry, but it seems just a tad too sneaky!! Exit, Randy, Stage Left. :oops:
Jerry: We love and understand you, Randy. Welcome back.
Randy: Cool. Where do I sign the... Hey, uh, what's this small print at the bottom, Jerry?
Jerry: Just some tough love language. Go on ahead Big Guy...
Randy: Bite me.
Jerry: Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
good take

fans bashing Gregory for taking the better deal leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Dallas showed him a lot of loyalty to get zero hometown discount BUT this is also his only big contract in all likelihood.

When I wrote about this before I figured Gregory was a tough deal and basically I wanted him to get super well paid but knew it would likely be elsewhere.

But all this bait and switch talk is complete nonsense.
Dallas was asked to match the Denver contract in financial terms and did.
Zero people are stating they swore they'd remove the clause from their standard contracts.
The agent is assuming it would be removed because it was for Dak.

I never hate on players or co-workers... basically anyone that isn't a scam artist or slumlord for making money.

Everyone wants there to be a bad guy but I don't really see one. --ok maybe the broncos social media team.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Wow. You do like conspiracy theories.

How many contracts have been voided by simple fines? There is a reason it is explicit. Team would lose a grievance
well it is possible the agent wanted RG to sign with denver over dallas, for a bunch of possible reasons.

and today I read it was about voiding guarantees not whole contract.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So, players and GMs know this can be enforced written or not? If so:
If it is standard practice for NFL teams to not write this particular CBA agreement into contracts, Randy may have felt insulted by its obvious inclusion at this point in time. If the Cowboys really wanted Randy back, they could have avoided the power struggle.
Doesn't sound like either side really wanted to it to work out.
or it was just dumb and dumber trying to get a deal done.

I will laugh at gregory playing at that altitude isnt easy, and then the cold weather games!
I think he will whiff in those late season games.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense to sign a deal with language that will take away millions when there's the same contract without that language.

You don't buy auto insurance thinking you will use it but when something happens you're happy you have it.
In other words, Gregory doesn't want to be financially punished/held accountable WHEN HE SCREWS UP AGAIN AND COSTS THE TEAM IN THE FUTURE?

Thanks for siding with the troublesome spoiled brat.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So Dallas drafts a guy that failed a test at the combine.... whose fault is that?

Control is the most satanic word mankind ever created. You start exerting too much control over someone and they will rebel. That's just human nature.
Cowboys were willing to give Gregory a chance to prove he had matured. Gregory proved he wasn't. Even today, Gregory is refusing to grow up and be responsible. But, you're right, it ultimately was the Cowboys fault for taking a risk on drug-using offenders. At least, the Cowboys finally put their foot down and learned from their mistake.

birdwells1

Reaction score
In other words, Gregory doesn't want to be financially punished/held accountable WHEN HE SCREWS UP AGAIN AND COSTS THE TEAM IN THE FUTURE?

I'm signing the contract with the fullest guaranty, you'd be a fool not to. The contracts are the same since he has a choice he chose to sign the one without the ability to void his money, great financial decision and a better football decision to get away from the Joneses, he now has a fighting chance to win a Super Bowl.

Adreme

Reaction score
I'm signing the contract with the fullest guaranty, you'd be a fool not to. The contracts are the same since he has a choice he chose to sign the one without the ability to void his money, great financial decision and a better football decision to get away from the Joneses, he now has a fighting chance to win a Super Bowl.

Also makes sense as this will be his only big contract. It would be stupid to risk it over a fine.

Praxit

Reaction score
....Dallas only team with those kinds of problems..lol.. They take chances on druggies, thugs, racketeers, extortionist..etc.. Did I leave anything out?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Cowboys were willing to give Gregory a chance to prove he had matured. Gregory proved he wasn't. Even today, Gregory is refusing to grow up and be responsible. But, you're right, it ultimately was the Cowboys fault for taking a risk on drug-using offenders. At least, the Cowboys finally put their foot down and learned from their mistake.
Mature? So all pot smokers are immature by your standards. You do know addiction is a real thing right. And it doesn't matter what your addicted too. Too much of any substance is bad for you. Millions of people struggle with addiction in this country of ours. Guess their immature also.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Make that two. His past is his past. Last year, he had no issues off the field, and if all was forgiven, they wouldn't be in this spot.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
well it is possible the agent wanted RG to sign with denver over dallas, for a bunch of possible reasons.

and today I read it was about voiding guarantees not whole contract.

if the guarantees are voided the Cowboys can cut him for any reason and he’ll get nothing. So if he gets injured and can’t play again he could end up with nothing.