News: Vote: Commanders? Eagles? Which team is the Dallas Cowboys' biggest rival

CCBoy

Reaction score
Vote: Commanders? Eagles? Which team is the Dallas Cowboys' biggest rival
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ders-eagles-team-dallas-cowboys-biggest-rival

1466564244-cowboys-rivals-lead-photo.jpg

Washington Commanders

Cowboys' record against them the last 10 games: 6-4

All-time series record: Cowboys lead 66-44-2

Times met in the playoffs: 2. Washington won both times.

Reason why: Football purists will probably like this option. While Cowboys-Commanders has lacked some pop in recent history, the way these two teams battled in the late 60s and early 70s was entertaining on and off the field.

There was the game where Clint Longley took over for a hurt Roger Staubach to shock Washington on Thanksgiving Day. It's easy to tell just how much Tom Landry didn't like Commanders head coach George Allen by what he said after that game in 1974.

"I can still see George over there after Staubach got knocked out," Landry said. "Boy, he was spitting on his hands, rubbing them. He knew he had the ballgame won. Then Longley comes in and throws that pass for a touchdown. I don't think George got over that. I know he didn't. He brought it up every time we met. It was really a pleasure to see that happen."

Allen also struck a nerve with both players and fans, like former Cowboys linebacker Lee Roy Jordan told The Dallas Morning News in 2004.

"George had a real hate rivalry for us," Jordan said. "He used to say, 'If we can injure [Roger] Staubach, we have a chance to win.' He really made it intense. And I use that word because it's the only one you can print."

Philadelphia Eagles

Cowboys' record against them the last 10 games: Tied at 5-5

All-time series record: Cowboys lead 64-50

Times met in the playoffs: 4. Cowboys lead the playoff series 3-1.

Reason why: The Eagles team and fans draw ire from the Cowboys faithful.

On the field, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb and, yes, Terrell Owens, were tough to tame. And who can forget the Bounty Bowl spearheaded by Philadelphia head coach Buddy Ryan in 1989?

Following Philly's 27-0 win over Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys, Johnson alleged Ryan had taken out a bounty on kicker Luis Zendejas and quarterback Troy Aikman.

Said Johnson: "I would have said something to Buddy, but he wouldn't stand on the field long enough. He put his big, fat rear end into the dressing room."

That was one of many notable games between Philly and Dallas. To read more on the history between the two, click here to see their 20 most notable matchups.

Philadelphia's fans are a different beast of their own. They booed Michael Irvin when he hurt his neck in 1999 and they threw beer bottles and eggs at Dallas' team bus. Always keeping it classy up there...

School

Reaction score
It's definitely been the Eagles in my lifetime. Even though the Eagles have never won the big one, they've been consistently competitive. The Commanders on the other hand haven't had consecutive winning seasons since the early 90's. I feel bad for them more often than think of them as a hated rival.

We could be seeing the reverse of that in the near future though if Wentz doesn't pan out and Cousins keeps improving.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
From my perspective, it's the Commanders. The Commanders have stopped us from going to the Super Bowl twice.

And they always seem to trip us up or beat us when they're not expected to. Who can forget the Santana Moss comeback or the fluky defeat during our 13-3 year or the loss with Colt McCoy that may have stopped us from securing home-field advantage throughout the playoffs in 2014? And, remember, we kept the Commanders from an undefeated season in 1991.

For the most part, the Eagles rivalry really started with Buddy Ryan. Yes, they stopped us from going to a Super Bowl also, but they haven't really beaten us in meaningful games or when they've beaten us it's because we really sucked as a team.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
From my perspective, it's the Commanders. The Commanders have stopped us from going to the Super Bowl twice.

And they always seem to trip us up or beat us when they're not expected to. Who can forget the Santana Moss comeback or the fluky defeat during our 13-3 year or the loss with Colt McCoy that may have stopped us from securing home-field advantage throughout the playoffs in 2014? And, remember, we kept the Commanders from an undefeated season in 1991.

For the most part, the Eagles rivalry really started with Buddy Ryan. Yes, they stopped us from going to a Super Bowl also, but they haven't really beaten us in meaningful games or when they've beaten us it's because we really sucked as a team.

yeah have to agree with this, Commanders games are always close no matter the records of either team.
and it is old rivalry.
Giants have 2nd place, have been a good rival in recent years or last decade.

Eagles, are more of a nuisance than a rival.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Commanders are probably the most iconic rival, in all honesty.

But for me personally it's always been the Eagles. I hate them more then any other team and I enjoy beating them more then any of the other teams.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Definitely the Commanders for me. I remember every week during the Commanders games since Sonny Jurgensen was their QB. One of my good friends was a big Commanders fan. I absolutely hated that team then and hate hate hate them even more now. I especially hated when their WR's would circle up in the end zone after a TD. Only team that comes close to my hate for them is the Steelers.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dating back to Buddy Ryan I would say eagles. All of the NFC East games are pretty much rivals but Commanders rival in my eyes faded when George Allen left.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All-time biggest rival would be the Commanders we've played them in two NFC title games and spent most of the 70's battling them for the division title. Some of the most brutal games were between the Cowboys and Commanders there was some genuine hate between the two teams. Some of the most memorable Cowboys games were dramatic come from behind wins against Washington. There was the Clint Longley game on Thanksgiving in 1974 and Roger Staubach's final regular season game in 1979.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Vote: Commanders? Eagles? Which team is the Dallas Cowboys' biggest rival
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ders-eagles-team-dallas-cowboys-biggest-rival

1466564244-cowboys-rivals-lead-photo.jpg

Washington Commanders

Cowboys' record against them the last 10 games: 6-4

All-time series record: Cowboys lead 66-44-2

Times met in the playoffs: 2. Washington won both times.

Reason why: Football purists will probably like this option. While Cowboys-Commanders has lacked some pop in recent history, the way these two teams battled in the late 60s and early 70s was entertaining on and off the field.

There was the game where Clint Longley took over for a hurt Roger Staubach to shock Washington on Thanksgiving Day. It's easy to tell just how much Tom Landry didn't like Commanders head coach George Allen by what he said after that game in 1974.

"I can still see George over there after Staubach got knocked out," Landry said. "Boy, he was spitting on his hands, rubbing them. He knew he had the ballgame won. Then Longley comes in and throws that pass for a touchdown. I don't think George got over that. I know he didn't. He brought it up every time we met. It was really a pleasure to see that happen."

Allen also struck a nerve with both players and fans, like former Cowboys linebacker Lee Roy Jordan told The Dallas Morning News in 2004.

"George had a real hate rivalry for us," Jordan said. "He used to say, 'If we can injure [Roger] Staubach, we have a chance to win.' He really made it intense. And I use that word because it's the only one you can print."

Philadelphia Eagles

Cowboys' record against them the last 10 games: Tied at 5-5

All-time series record: Cowboys lead 64-50

Times met in the playoffs: 4. Cowboys lead the playoff series 3-1.

Reason why: The Eagles team and fans draw ire from the Cowboys faithful.

On the field, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb and, yes, Terrell Owens, were tough to tame. And who can forget the Bounty Bowl spearheaded by Philadelphia head coach Buddy Ryan in 1989?

Following Philly's 27-0 win over Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys, Johnson alleged Ryan had taken out a bounty on kicker Luis Zendejas and quarterback Troy Aikman.

Said Johnson: "I would have said something to Buddy, but he wouldn't stand on the field long enough. He put his big, fat rear end into the dressing room."

That was one of many notable games between Philly and Dallas. To read more on the history between the two, click here to see their 20 most notable matchups.

Philadelphia's fans are a different beast of their own. They booed Michael Irvin when he hurt his neck in 1999 and they threw beer bottles and eggs at Dallas' team bus. Always keeping it classy up there...

Overall, it's the skins and I doubt it's even close for most of us older fans. That said, the Buddy Ryan era in Philthy brought them way up on the "hate-o-meter", IMO. I think it was 1989 that Ryan got choked on a piece of pork chop and someone had to perform the Heimlich maneuver on him to get it dislodged (to the utter disappointment of many Cowboys fans). With that as a backdrop, I was at the Cowboys final game in 1989 (against Philly) and some guy had one of those long cane poles (don't know how he got it into the stadium) with a pork chop tied to the end of the string and was dangling it out over the rail as Ryan walked by before the game...Ryan just glared at the guy with the pole. That was a hilarious scene and one I'll always remember. So, back to the poll...skins first, eagles second , for me.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sk*ns. Even though they're kind of a mascot for the rest of the NFCE now.

I hate the Eagles more, too, but it's because they're low-class as an organization and a fan base and not because of anything they've ever done to deserve rivalry status.