Wade's Attacking Defense Not Big On Attacking.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
theogt;2314281 said:
2005 Chargers (Wade's 2nd season)

35 Pass attempts per game
6.9 Yards per attempt passing
84.7 QB rating
224.9 passing yards per game
3.5 yards per carry rushing
24 carries per game

2008 Cowboys (Wade's 2nd season)

34 Pass attempts per game
6.7 Yards per attempt passing
88.7 QB rating
210.2 passing yards per game
3.9 Yards per carry rushing
24 carries per game

I like the season per season comparison.

utrunner07;2314298 said:
IN 2006 SD had 61 sacks allowed 492 points and had 16 interceptions.

We are on pace for 44 sacks, 512 pts. and 3 ints.

Not as bad as I thought....

I can see this D stepping it up, all though in the turnover department we are pathetic, we have the talent, but Im not sure they have the meanness or the attitude.

So you compared his best season out of the 3 to this years. Wow. :rolleyes:

AdamJT13;2314305 said:
From 2004-2006, the Chargers' defense allowed 315.3 yards per game. We've allowed 307.0 with Wade.

They averaged 2.83 sacks per game.
We've averaged 2.86.

They allowed 3.8 yards per rush.
We've allowed 3.95.

They allowed 5.72 yards per pass.
We've allowed 5.57.

His best defense in San Diego was in 2006, but that defense still ranked only 23rd in yards allowed and 20th in passing yards allowed.

This is how Wade's defense plays. Get used to it.

Ouch ...... I knew that was gonna be messy.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2314332 said:
Less than 2 years ago, this defense was arguably the worst in the NFL. Now it's dominance or fire the coach. Go figure.

idk, I just heard about, "exoticism", "attacking", those type of words to describe Wade's D

and I simply don't see it, it's Parcells' style D all over again, yet people couldn't wait to run it out of town

the only thing that changed was that the line is a 1-gap as opposed to a 2-gap

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
theogt;2314230 said:
how many times have we blitzed? What's the league average?
We blitz about 35% more than the league average.

Cutler 48 blitzes 191 att
Warner 53 blitzes 183 att
Romo 44 blitzes 162 att
Brees 40 blitzes 148 att
McNabb 58 blitzes 175 att
Rodgers 31 blitzes 163 att
Rivers 44 blitzes 138 att
Orton 40 blitzes 155 att
Delhomme 47 blitzes 142 att
O'Sullivan 46 blitzes 140 att

1597 att 451 blitzes

Thru 4 games, the top 10 QB's in yardage were blitzed once every 3.54 attempts.

Thru 4 games, we blitzed 57 times on 131 pass attempts, or one blitz every 2.30 attempts.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2314348 said:
idk, I just heard about, "exoticism", "attacking", those type of words to describe Wade's D

and I simply don't see it, it's Parcells' style D all over again, yet people couldn't wait to run it out of town

Once again... Our D last year vastly improved its sacks and INTs also got better compared to anything Parcells did, and the only different player was Ken Hamlin.

But nothing has changed with Wade?

And before you say "that was last year"... Why don't we wait a few more games before we declare that we already know how this year will turn out?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2314348 said:

You can't seriously compare this defense to Parcells' defense. We use "exotic" packages and blitzes constantly. We mix our coverages up. We blitz different players from different areas. There's not much else you can do.

From the Daily Zone:

Cbz40;2314157 said:
"A lot of teams kind of play the same coverage," the receiver said. "Stew's smart enough to where he's going to mix it up and that's what they did, and when you have the kind of defensive players they have, you can do that."

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2314358 said:
Once again... Our D last year vastly improved its sacks and INTs also got better compared to anything Parcells did, and the only different player was Ken Hamlin.

But nothing has changed with Wade?

And before you say "that was last year"... Why don't we wait a few more games before we declare that we already know how this year will turn out?

don't look at the stats, watch the games

we're still running a soft-zone, and again players are grumbling about it, just like they did near the end of Parcells' tenure here

we rarely see our D give the O an exotic blitz, just alot of mano-a-mano, beat your man, blitzing, just like we saw w/ Parcells

but at least we went from our line players playing a 2-gap, to playing a 1-gap, and yeah, we improved our numbers, but our brand of D is still bend-but-don't break

and it's supposed to be an easy D to learn, at least according to Wade Phillips himself, so we can't use that excuse, unless we drafted a bunch of brain-dead retards

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2314367 said:
we're still running a soft-zone
You didn't watch this game closely enough. We played quite a bit of man coverage.

DALLAS D

Reaction score
Cogan;2314204 said:
I keep waiting for this aggressive 3-4 defense the Wade Phillips is so famous for to show its grizzly face, but so far, it's more like a Grizzly Cub. I look at the Titans, Steelers, Commanders, Eagles, etc., and I see defenses who can just overwhelm an offense for large segments of a game at a time. This Cowboys' defense reminds me more of one that plays not to screw up, than one that plays to reek havoc & chaos on an opponent.

It's not like we don't have the talent to go after people. I know TNew's been hurting this year, and that he and Henry have been in & out of the trainer's room so often, they have ice tubs with their names on them. This year, however, we have more backup than in years' past. With Adam "I'm still rusty" Jones, Mike "I play like a rookie just off the turnip truck" Jenkins, and Orlando "I should have been taken in the 2nd rd." Scandrick, we still have much better backup than a year ago.

Just look at the Miami Dolphins. They have several Dallas castoffs who are playing championship-type ball. Adele, Ferguson, and Co. have had the chains taken off, and they put it to both AFC Championship Game opponents New England & San Diego in back-to-back games. I'm not talking about squeezing out two wins. I'm talking about smash mouth, in your face, just kicked your ***, NFL football!!

Now, I may be stretching it here, but I would go way out on a limb & say that the Cowboys have at least the talent of the Dolphins' defense. If they can b-slap the piss out of two of the best offenses in all of football, I think we can do a better job than to get two sacks on one of the worst offenses in the NFL at the end of the game, and the Bengals hopelessly behind. In fact, if it weren't for having the luxery of a full 60 minutes, DeMarcus Ware would be lucky to have two sacks this year. Not that he hasn't been trying, but that he hasn't had the complimentary help, save Jay Ratliff, or a creative scheme that might just add a little surprise to our vanilla attack.

The eagles defense really overwhelmed us, 0 sacks and 41 points.:banghead:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2314360 said:
You can't seriously compare this defense to Parcells' defense. We use "exotic" packages and blitzes constantly. We mix our coverages up. We blitz different players from different areas. There's not much else you can do.

From the Daily Zone:

I think I've seen a stunt maybe once

I saw Ware start outside and rush inside once

have you seen the LBs and DEs switch responsibilities?

we are starting to mix up the coverages, I'll give him that, esp. this week I saw one guy playing off, while 2 were in man, quite a bit

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2314369 said:
You didn't watch this game closely enough. We played quite a bit of man coverage.

should have waited, I admitted it lol

only thing that pissed me off is that once the Bengals got into the redzone, we always went back to the zone

and TJ had alot of room to work w/ in it

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2314376 said:
have you seen the LBs and DEs switch responsibilities?
The thing about the 3-4 is that you "zone blitz" on almost every play that you send a different outside linebacker. There's no need to drop a "DE" to maintain zone coverage via only sending a 4 man rush.

You can yearn for more of a "true" zone blitz, but I promise you, having Chris Canty in coverage isn't the answer.

Bob Sacamano;2314381 said:
should have waited, I admitted it lol

only thing that pissed me off is that once the Bengals got into the redzone, we always went back to the zone

and TJ had alot of room to work w/ in it
It's been pointed out quite a bit, but the problem with TJ's touchdown was Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick, and Keith Davis. Those three were going to find a way to blow a coverage regardless of what Wade called. That's just the nature of having two rookies and a 4th string safety playing.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2314400 said:
The thing about the 3-4 is that you "zone blitz" on almost every play that you send a different outside linebacker. There's no need to drop a "DE" to maintain zone coverage via only sending a 4 man rush.

having the DE and OLBs switch responsibilities is to confuse the opposing O

we're not confusing many offenses

we don't overload one side either, things of that nature

theogt said:
It's been pointed out quite a bit, but the problem with TJ's touchdown was Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick, and Keith Davis. Those three were going to find a way to blow a coverage regardless of what Wade called. That's just the nature of having two rookies and a 4th string safety playing.

that is true

but which is also why you keep TJ and Chad close to the vest w/ Henry and PacMan, and make Chatman beat you

alancdc

Reaction score
I will take TENN AND BALT and anyone can have the rest. Got to have great players so maybe we have overated our players. Seems like EVERY backer or D end Balt drafts is a studd.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
alancdc;2314412 said:
I will take TENN AND BALT and anyone can have the rest. Got to have great players so maybe we have overated our players. Seems like EVERY backer or D end Balt drafts is a studd.
Agreed. Those two teams racked up sacks against Cincinatti. Oh wait, they only had 3 combined sacks. Oh, and Tennessee's only sack was in garbage time.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
alancdc;2314412 said:

Both those teams come from a Buddy Ryan Defense branch.

Rex Ryan and Jeff Fisher learned defense from Buddy when he was a young assistant

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;2314314 said:
I disagree. I blame it on bad breaks & sub-par play. I'll say it again, how many picks have we dropped this season? How many fumbles did we lose back to the opposing offenses? How many sacks have qbs miraculously escaped? Our players just need to make plays and I don't think it's lack of "passion or attitude" that caused these near-misses the past 5 games...
The Amount of Breaks or luck the Opposing teams have gotten this year is amazing.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2314441 said:
Agreed. Those two teams racked up sacks against Cincinatti. Oh wait, they only had 3 combined sacks. Oh, and Tennessee's only sack was in garbage time.
For the record, the Cowboys had two sacks yesterday. One with 1:44 and one with 1:04 left in the game.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
what about scoring defense......SD vs Dallas

what about turnovers.....SD vs Dallas

these are the two areas I care about far more than yardage.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
i think its motivation. and a combo of the season is young , why blitz the hell out of cinci early in the season with our most exotic blitz packages

we have also had alot clutch sacks . just no big turn overs . id much rather have my team sacking the qb in the end of teh game making big stops than knocking him around in the first quarter only to have the team still score and have 3 quarters left

David276

Benched
Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;2314314 said:
I disagree. I blame it on bad breaks & sub-par play. I'll say it again, how many picks have we dropped this season? How many fumbles did we lose back to the opposing offenses? How many sacks have qbs miraculously escaped? Our players just need to make plays and I don't think it's lack of "passion or attitude" that caused these near-misses the past 5 games...

yes alot of poor tackling also imo has alot to do with these bad breaks.