Wade's Attacking Defense Not Big On Attacking.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think the difference from last year compared to this year is that our DBs aren't breaking to the ball and giving up too much cushion on short passes. Last year when it was 3rd and long and when we showed blitz, the other team threw quick outs and slants and our corners were pressing and going after the ball. This year its different. Teams are killing us with the short passes once again. I think were letting them catch the short stuff in order for us not to give us the long ball.

I think we should just let our corners press and play up to their man when we blitz. Then let them break for the INT if they feel its coming their way. I think we went away from that.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Biggems;2314683 said:
what about scoring defense......SD vs Dallas

what about turnovers.....SD vs Dallas

these are the two areas I care about far more than yardage.

Wade's defense in San Diego allowed 18.52 ppg from 2004-2006. We've allowed 18.9 under Wade. The difference is about eight points TOTAL over the course of the 21 games we've played under Wade. (We're allowing fewer touchdowns per game than San Diego did, but our opponents have hit 86.7 percent of their field-goal attempts against us, compared to just 76.8 percent against San Diego from 2004-2006. That more than accounts for the difference.)

Wade's defense in San Diego forced 1.69 turnovers per game. (Actually, that would include any special-team turnovers or even any turnovers by the opponent's defense after a San Diego turnover. But let's assume those are too rare to matter.) Our defense has forced 1.57 turnovers per game under Wade. It was 1.81 last year, but our slow start this season has dropped our average. But again, it's not much different from what it was in San Diego, even with our slow start.

One thing that our defense has been MUCH better at than San Diego was under Wade is allowing long passes. From 2004-2006, San Diego ranked 25th or worse every season in allowing passes of 20 yards or more (they allowed 3.06 per game over those three seasons). We were sixth-best last year (2.19 per game), and we're fourth-best this year (1.6 per game).

Spectre

Reaction score
I have to agree.
This Wade defense is looking more like a mixed up 4-3 each time I see it. 1 rushing end and 3 reactionary LBers.