Wake up! Listen to Jerry. The Offseason plan is Obvious

Chuck 54

Reaction score
My only question to that would be why are we the only team handicapped all of a sudden because we have two studs to sign? Plenty of teams with several superstars that still can afford to bump talent in other places on their roster, and more importantly, go further than one round in the Playoffs.
That’s a great question. My point was that Jerry could have freed up enough money to go all in for 2024 with just restructures. Why is he waiting to do something with Dak? It isn’t Dak. You can’t play a game or run a bluff until you put something on the table. The Jones boys are simply ignoring the situation, not even talking to Dak and his agent yet. There’s a reason why he’s waiting and why he didn’t even want money for free agency.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Are you sure about cap space? Lamb and Parsons are both still on rookie contracts. Their next contract is unlikely to create cap space. If they were franchised or already on a second contract, yes, then a new contract spreads things out, but both of those guys are likely to get more guaranteed money than they’ve actually earned so far.
CeeDee is on his 5th year option and was an all-pro. His cap hit is big. Parsons cap hit will be bigger the CeeDee’s because defensive end make more then receivers.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
CeeDee is on his 5th year option and was an all-pro. His cap hit is big. Parsons cap hit will be bigger the CeeDee’s because defensive end make more then receivers.

Our luck they both come due at the same time. Old R&B people, remember the song “Bad Luck” with Harold Melvin and the BlueNotes featuring Teddy Pendergrass. That’s our song.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
How do you play a game of chicken when you don’t even meet and make an offer?
You really don’t understand how it’s played. It’s the same as last time when Dak’s contract was up. France wanted 40+ and Cowboys refused to budge until the second franchise tag. Everyone knows France wants 60+ now. The Cowboys want Dak for 50 million. Each one knows the cost. Why talk because neither will budge right now. You are talking about the biggest contract in NFL history.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
My only thing is that now is exactly when you push chips in, you have a good but not elite team. You’re close but not good enough but if you made the right moves and additions you can get there. If you’re not getting aggressive now, when will you?
My point exactly. In many ways, we were close this year. But in the basics of playoff football, running and stopping the run, we had our doors blown off against just about every team with a good run game and a defense that could bully us at the line.

I don’t care what they do with Dak, Lamb, Parsons, until they fix the run game and the run defense to at least compete in those areas, the Cowboys will not play well against the better teams who have that.

I would have been willing to bring in a DT, LB, and a RB in free agency, add some help in the draft, and have a real chance at playoff success in 24-25, even if it meant saying goodbye to Lamb or Parsons the next year.

I feel that we have a chance to improve the run game or the run defense on the first two days of the draft, but no way we can fix both.
DL & LB (or) OL & OL/RB

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So if they let Dak play out his contract and he walks after next season will we still have dead money from Dak’s contract?
Depends whether they chose to take the hit from Dak's dead money this year or next.
I wouldn't burden future years with dead Dak money so Dak can play out his contract year with better players around him.

GMO415

Reaction score
All in there last years:
  • Dak
  • Zack
  • Tank
2025 this will be an entirely new team.

bandfan

Reaction score
Everyone wanted a star LB, a very good DT, a starting RB, maybe a lower end C for a fall back plan. It really wasn’t that much to ask.

But it was never going to happen. It’s silly and unfair that fans are blaming Dak…lol. Dak’s salary has never been a burden on the salary cap at any point in his career. It was Jerry who decided to mess around and use the franchise. It was Jerry who allowed this thing to run its full course again.

At any point, Jerry could have restructured Dak’s salary to free up money for free agency, and he did not need Dak’s permission to restructure. At any point, Jerry could have given Dak a new contract to lower his cap hit the next couple of years drastically, but he didn’t want to because he never had any thought of spending that money in free agency. Fans wanted action; fans wanted that contract restructured or extended before March 13, but that was never Jerry’s plan. It has been reported again and again that the Jones boys hadn’t even talked to Dak or his agent. Jerry was dragging his feet for a reason.

All in for me would have been a new contract, fixing the run game and run defense, and going for it in 2024. Not what the Jones boys had in mind.

Jerry’s goal is to resign Lamb, a guy who has already said he wants to be the top paid WR or very close to it.
Jerry’s goal is to resign Parsons, a guy who is fantastic, but so full of himself that we can all see Jerry will have his hands full with that contract.

Jerry is in no hurry to free up cap space because he doesn’t need it because he doesn’t plan to spend more in free agency than part of what he freed up with Martin’s restructure. Jerry will take all the savings from lowering Dak’s cap hits to sign Lamb and Parsons….period. His plans for those two youngsters has much more to do with continuing his hands off approach to free agency than Dak does.

It doesn’t help the run game, nor does it help the run defense, but keeping Lamb and Parsons and filling in around them with budget friendly free agents, 1 year contracts, and the draft has clearly been the plan all along.
Boy, I sure hope you don't really believe you can do business that way with contracts. It doesn't matter if its the NFL or an auto repair shop. You can't just change a contract without letting the other person know. If Jerry did that the players union implode...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Boy, I sure hope you don't really believe you can do business that way with contracts. It doesn't matter if its the NFL or an auto repair shop. You can't just change a contract without letting the other person know. If Jerry did that the players union implode...
The restructure is built into the original contract, giving them the right to restructure. Of course they tell the player, but they don’t need his permission. He agreed to it when he signed the original contract. The Cowboys have been doing this for years with the larger contracts. It doesn’t cost the player money; it changes the cap hit by converting some money to bonus or guarantees, kicking the can down the road. They just restructured Martin’s contract. It does not require negotiation.

plymkr

Reaction score
Depends whether they chose to take the hit from Dak's dead money this year or next.
I wouldn't burden future years with dead Dak money so Dak can play out his contract year with better players around him.
If they take all the hit on this year’s cap and he’s gone next year will we have any dead money tied to Dak in 2025?

nobody

Reaction score
Oddly enough the Clampetts were from the Ozarks in Arkansas.
And Jed Clampett would have ran this team far better than Jerry because he would have realized what he was ignorant of and hired experts to run things for him. Jed was no fool.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Our luck they both come due at the same time. Old R&B people, remember the song “Bad Luck” with Harold Melvin and the BlueNotes featuring Teddy Pendergrass. That’s our song.
‘Law of average plainly states that chances go around….’

TP had a voice didn’t he?

Its called Bad Luck Part 1 for some reason. I think there may have been a longer version or something like that.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
‘Law of average plainly states that chances go around….’

TP had a voice didn’t he?

Its called Bad Luck Part 1 for some reason. I think there may have been a longer version or something like that.

Love the song “Miss You”, Ted in the background tearing it up, while the other guy is talking about the girl.