Ware-Spencer-Hatcher-Crawford-Selvie-Bass- a First rounder

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Do we really know what Crawford and Bass are?

Rotational players (depth) at best. Ware will be restructured and Spencer and Hatch will be gone. So basically right now we have Ware and a bunch of average depth guys on the defensive line. Make no mistake that this unit has to be priority number 1 in the draft and in FA if possible.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
If Ware comes back for less, Spencer gives a discount cause he robbed jerry last year and hatch signs a friendly deal. Is this the making of a a good DL?

It would be a good start but by no means should the Cowboys be pleased nor secure with this prospect. Even if they draft a 1st-round talent for the d-line they still need to look for an affordable FA who can come in and be part of a rotation.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Once Broaddus stated point blank that Hayden was brought in partially because Ben Bass was struggling to learn the position. Hatcher uses Bass to crack a joke about leaving (imagine that) and now the revisionist story is that the team projected Bass to be a starter in 2014 all along? Good grief, guys.

JBS

Reaction score
Bringing back all these scrubs is the absolute worst case scenario. For this season and the future. Id rather have none of them than all of them.

Sign a mid 20s FA....maybe even 2 and spend a draft pick or 2 on the DL.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Once Broaddus stated point blank that Hayden was brought in partially because Ben Bass was struggling to learn the position. Hatcher uses Bass to crack a joke about leaving (imagine that) and now the revisionist story is that the team projected Bass to be a starter in 2014 all along? Good grief, guys.

I haven't seen anyone projecting Bass as a starter for 2014.

I think something is lost in translation on the comment from Broaddus. Hayden was signed to a futures contract in February after the 2012 season. Bass was coming off a Practice Squad year where he got into a few games after being activated as an injury replacement. When Hayden was signed on Feb 11th, it doesn't make sense that they did so because of anything related to a second year UDFA they were hoping would improve from his rookie year.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I think something is lost in translation on the comment from Broaddus. Hayden was signed to a futures contract in February after the 2012 season. Bass was coming off a Practice Squad year where he got into a few games after being activated as an injury replacement. When Hayden was signed on Feb 11th, it doesn't make sense that they did so because of anything related to a second year UDFA they were hoping would improve from his rookie year.

Gah, you're right. Shows you what I get for trusting Broaddus.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If Ware comes back for less, Spencer gives a discount cause he robbed jerry last year and hatch signs a friendly deal. Is this the making of a a good DL?

Ware should be back. He'll likely take a pay cut that will end us up near what we'd save by cutting him

Spencer is going to see a very, very soft market. He'll likely sign a small, incentive-laden deal, no reason not to do so here. People say we can't afford Hatcher, but if last year is any indication, the market is really really soft for D-linemen. There just were not many big deals. Being 32, he's not going to see huge offers.

sbark

Reaction score
See the draft like last year.........the players on the Cowboys board will be gone, trade down to get value, or be forced to take bpa at another position.

Flinger

Reaction score
Hey - just get any 7 guys... they'll be better than Ware, Hatcher, Spencer, Selvie, Bass, Crawford, etc...

Oh - that's right. We don't even know anything about 'those 7'.

Oh well. They are better. Ask anyone here.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score

Bass was projected as a strong rotational guy with potential. I really like the guy's ability if he can just stay healthy.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Gah, you're right. Shows you what I get for trusting Broaddus.
Hayden and Bass don't even play the same position. Hayden is a run stopping 1 tech-NT and Bass is a pass rusher that plays 3 tech or the other DT in pass rush situations. Hayden beat out Lissemore.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Bass was projected as a strong rotational guy with potential. I really like the guy's ability if he can just stay healthy.

I agree completely, but his big improvement came in training camp in 2013. My point about him relation to Hayden was that it was all projection for him on Feb 11, 2013 when Hayden signed. The crazy thing is that after the wipeout from this year, Hayden, Selvie, Bass and Crawford may all be high quality backups next year assuming everyone stays healthy.

JDSTAR

Reaction score
Keep Selvie, Give Hatcher a fair contract, try to retain Ware with a team friendly pay cut, then take 2DTs and a DE in the first 5th rounds. I'm still hoping we give David King, former PHI DT, former Sooner a look. Not sure why he doesn't have a job right now. That's an ideal scenario IMO.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I agree completely, but his big improvement came in training camp in 2013. My point about him relation to Hayden was that it was all projection for him on Feb 11, 2013 when Hayden signed. The crazy thing is that after the wipeout from this year, Hayden, Selvie, Bass and Crawford may all be high quality backups next year assuming everyone stays healthy.

Understood and I agree: the depth, barring injury, should be better this year if Dallas can add talent through the draft and FA. I think Crawford has a good chance to compete for a starting job if Vinnie2u's proposed scenario does actualize.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No. Too much age and injury. Turn the page.

I'd keep Ware and Crawford. That's it.

SWG9

Reaction score

Better than this year but certainly not good by any stretch.

And there's virtually no chance of Hatcher coming back

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff and Spencer was the making of a good/great DL; however, the probability that they were going to meet the goal was low due to their age and injury history.

You're just replicating 2013 with Ware, Spencer and Hatcher.

The best way to reduce the probability of injuries is to replace older veterans with younger players. It's not a guarantee, but it's the best bet from a probability prospective. Playing the odds (probabilities) is what good teams do every year.

cmoney23

Reaction score
I see this more and more

Ware- Hatcher (franchise tag)- Draft pick- Crawford/Selvie

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There haven't been 5 better DL than Ware in 20 years of football drafts, but I do wish you good luck of replacing him via the draft.

Ware and Hatcher combined for 18 sacks.
The best rookie DL and my pet cat from last year's draft, Sheldon Richardson had 3.5 sacks.

Fans always overrate rookies this time of year and downgrade veterans with actual NFL production.

I'm a big fan of Aubrayo Franklin because he combined with Robert Mathis to total 19.5 sacks.

Robert Mathis 19.5
Aubrayo Franklin 0.0