Was Cowboys DL good. Durde?

quickccc

Reaction score
I agree, we haven't seen much development up front. Players like Gallimore, Osa, Golston, Sam Williams, Armstrong never took that next step.

Osa and Williams have developed and shown flashes.. ... Armstrong had his best year last year
and Fowler has been a production nickel rusher. (will likely go to Wash to join Quinn)

When it came to rushing the QB, we saw and received pass rush production.

when it came to stopping the run, and misdirection play action, that's where the Quinn co. slipped and
failed the front six.

kskboys

Reaction score
Depends. If Galley suddenly breaks out and is good, then Durde was the problem.

quickccc

Reaction score
Zimmer? He was a terrible DC here. His defense gave up the most 200 yard rushing games ever in a season. Also the most rushing 1st.downs in a game. His DBs play16 yards off the ball and play only zone. Our DBs are man to man DBs and struggle in zone. What a disaster hire this is! Butch Davis and Dave Campo should be preparing for when Zimmer gets fired mid year.
That was waaay back then (per RB pickle juice Charlie Gardner) ..and i believe he rectified that issue the next season ... but that was decades ago, .. what was his defense like in Cincy and Vikes ? .

kskboys

Reaction score
That was waaay back then (per RB pickle juice Charlie Gardner) ..and i believe he rectified that issue the next season ... but that was decades ago, .. what was his defense like in Cincy and Vikes ? .
Pretty sure both had good D's almost every year.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Osa and Williams have developed and shown flashes.. ... Armstrong had his best year last year
and Fowler has been a production nickel rusher. (will likely go to Wash to join Quinn)

when it came to stopping the run, and misdirection play action, that's where the Quinn co. slipped and
failed the front six.
If you can't stop the run, then you probably won't win in the nfl. All the great Dallas defenses of the past stopped the run.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

failed the front six.
Williams was a 2nd pick, hasn’t improved much since he was drafted. OSA looks improved, Armstrong has been with this teams for years and is just a rotational piece. Fowler had good sacks numbers with the Rams.

I really think a lot of the pass rush prowess has been due to the attention Parsons receives.

As for the run defense, outside of DLaw they all struggle in that area

kskboys

Reaction score
Williams was a 2nd pick, hasn’t improved much since he was drafted. OSA looks improved, Armstrong has been with this teams for years and is just a rotational piece. Fowler had good sacks numbers with the Rams.

I really think a lot of the pass rush prowess has been due to the attention Parsons receives.

Yup, DLaw and Hankins.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zimmer? He was a terrible DC here. His defense gave up the most 200 yard rushing games ever in a season. Also the most rushing 1st.downs in a game. His DBs play16 yards off the ball and play only zone. Our DBs are man to man DBs and struggle in zone. What a disaster hire this is! Butch Davis and Dave Campo should be preparing for when Zimmer gets fired mid year.
I was not thrilled with Zimmer when he was here before. And I am mixed on him returning. However, he had talent in Minnesota and his defenses were good. He even revived Newman in Cincinnati. And Minnesota.

I think there is more talent here now, than what he had before. So this may not be a bad thing this time around. Plus I am sure he has grown and learned since then as well.

kskboys

Reaction score
You underestimate him. He is second on the team in sacks the last two years. If he leaves, it will create a void that will need filled.
I would love to see what we'd do if we made Army and DLaw the DE starters and moved Parsons to LB where he belongs. Yes, we'd lose a few sacks(maybe), but we'd gain a high quality LB and wouldn't be near as bad vs the run.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was not thrilled with Zimmer when he was here before. And I am mixed on him returning. However, he had talent in Minnesota and his defenses were good. He even revived Newman in Cincinnati. And Minnesota.

I think there is more talent here now, than what he had before. So this may not be a bad thing this time around. Plus I am sure he has grown and learned since then as well.
We have no LB's and are weak at 3 tech. How is there more talent here?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have no LB's and are weak at 3 tech. How is there more talent here?
Overall better talent, than what he had before. Assuming they will have to address LB's now. I was counting Micah as a LB, and with Overshown, and the health of LVE.

However, that position still needs addressed. And with Mike here, I think they will.

kskboys

Reaction score
That rotational piece has 17 TFL's and 16 sacks the last 2 years.

Keep in mine this is a 4th rounder we're talking about putting up some solid production.
He'd be started at DE if we weren't so obsessed w/ playing Parsons out of position. He and DLaw would make fine bookends at DE.

kskboys

Reaction score
Overall better talent, than what he had before. Assuming they will have to address LB's now. I was counting Micah as a LB, and with Overshown, and the health of LVE.

However, that position still needs addressed. And with Mike here, I think they will.
I ask again, how?

Looking at the 06 roster, the only upgrades I see are at FS. The Dline was better, LB's were better, CB's were at least equal, where are we better on D? Ware and Parsons can X each other out, I guess, though I believe Ware was much much better. I don't see it as even close.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I ask again, how?

Looking at the 06 roster, the only upgrades I see are at FS. The Dline was better, LB's were better, CB's were at least equal, where are we better on D? Ware and Parsons can X each other out, I guess, though I believe Ware was much much better. I don't see it as even close.
Better overall and depth. Other than Ware, who really made any plays. S's were not really good, and really the CB's were not playing well. Still had no DT's that really stood out consistently. Maybe Ratliff, was he there at that time. Spears never did much. The LB's were better, because this season ended where we played S's at LB. So to me that does not really count as a comparison.

Hardline

Reaction score
That playoff loss was the straw that broke the camels back. I don't care who the Cowboys hire, fire or who chooses not to come back.
That goes for players or coaches.

quickccc

Reaction score

i believe at one point Williams had like 3 sacks in str8 games and this was a player who was still struggling with turf toe
for most of the season.

We're not asking Fowler to start ,we're asking him to rotate
He;s not a good enuff run defender to start and the more plays he's exposed to, the more he is gonna wear down
He's done in a nickel pass rush role. His rotation production is not relevant to Parsons. It's one on one and he was
already an accomplished edge rusher. he's just not a full time starter to being doing both rush and run D.

Osa flashes penetration skills but still needs to expand his production over a full season, he wears down 2nd halves of seasons and his run D tends to come and go. he still struggles with consistency. probably why he's not a Pro Bowler
yet.

i think Dlaw can only do so much,.. Ditto for Hankins ... it's a team gap and containment scheme overall.

So many here was so sold on just cuz we have Hankins in the middle our run defense would be solved.

quickccc

Reaction score
You underestimate him. He is second on the team in sacks the last two years. If he leaves, it will create a void that will need filled.
that's why we have Wil McClay.

I'm not for re-signing Armstrong to a big lucrative deal that he will likely get in the overvalued FA period.

Ditto with Fowler, who i expect Quinn will come after in FA. That would make two DEs that had significant roles that
we will need to fill . And we have unknown unproven inexperienced guys like Fehoko that we just dunno how/if they
will fill the voided roles.

Could we see/exploit more Fowler type vets in FA ? We'll have to see.