Was Dak Reading the Defense vs. Giants w/o Moore?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Any idea that Dak doesn’t know how to read defenses would be hilarious if it wasn’t so ignorant.

Dak can read defenses. It’s been reported many many many times that Dak has a very strong work ethic and puts in a ton of hours studying tape.

He is now entering his fourth year in the league.

Yes, having a better OC helps. But Dak can read defenses.

GMO415

Reaction score
In one of Voch's videos he stated that with pre motion and hard counts to get guys jumping, Dak was able to read the defense before the snap, despite whatever disguise they tried to do. I think that's noteworthy because I thought the plan was to have Moore in his ear to help him read the defense like the Rams do, but I'm pretty sure the Rams, after motioning, look to the sidelines like they do in college for the play. I don't remember seeing any of that on Sunday.

Did anyone hear officially whether or not Moore used the headset to tell Dak what the defense was or did Dak figure them out on his own?
McVay still has to hold Goffs hand and read the defense for him

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
This thread kinda implies that Dak wasn’t that good at reading defenses before this season started. That’s silly. Dak has always been good at avoiding mistakes and throwing to the right guy on most plays. He has rarely been baited into interceptions or mistakes, even in 2017. The issue has been a lack of open targets.

Dak’s supposed “issue” has been missing open targets or a lack of anticipation on his throws. So far, Moore’s play calling has appeared to given the offense a schematic advantage that the last coordinator couldn’t produce consistently.

Reaction score
TBH this is why I brought it up. Dak seemed to know what the defense was on every play and who he needed to get the ball to. If he's this much better at reading defenses then his success should be reproducible. I don't mean that there will always be guys running wide open like Jarwin and Cobb were but Cooper's td and most of the throws to Gallup.

I think he struggled to read defenses quickly after the snap, that's why all of this motion and defensive alignment manipulation is helping him so much, he's getting the information pre-snap and now the ball is starting to come out on time,,,

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In one of Voch's videos he stated that with pre motion and hard counts to get guys jumping, Dak was able to read the defense before the snap, despite whatever disguise they tried to do. I think that's noteworthy because I thought the plan was to have Moore in his ear to help him read the defense like the Rams do, but I'm pretty sure the Rams, after motioning, look to the sidelines like they do in college for the play. I don't remember seeing any of that on Sunday.

Did anyone hear officially whether or not Moore used the headset to tell Dak what the defense was or did Dak figure them out on his own?

Ozz81PO.png

kskboys

Reaction score
Any idea that Dak doesn’t know how to read defenses would be hilarious if it wasn’t so ignorant.

Dak can read defenses. It’s been reported many many many times that Dak has a very strong work ethic and puts in a ton of hours studying tape.

He is now entering his fourth year in the league.

Yes, having a better OC helps. But Dak can read defenses.
Dak has always been good at reading D's. Reading D's does you no good if the WR's are running at the DB's and turning around.

Eanwen

Reaction score
This thread is an attempt at a backhanded insult of Dak's intelligence. This thread just exposes Dak haters trying to be slick. Shameful.

No that wasn't the purpose of this thread. Actually the opposite. I didn't mean to imply that generally speaking he couldn't read defenses. Obviously he couldn't play qb at all if that was the case. What I was getting at is I think Dak is better than Goff, that Dak is a hard worker who wants to get better and we saw how that work ethic combined with new coaches in Moore and Kitna has paid dividends. I don't think he'll always be perfect but I think our offense will average about 28-32 pts/game.