Was it the right decision?

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
If I didn't know better he played like he had a concussion. He just didn't look right.

I don't think that he was seeing the field very well at all for whatever reason. He came close to having a couple of delay penalties as well. I believe Witten called a timeout on one occasion that avoided a penalty. I believe there was one other lapse where a timeout was burned to avoid a delay penalty as well.

Anyway you spin it, Romo looked like a third string rookie while Colt looked like the seasoned vet headed to Canton.

Craig

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I think you keep Weeden in. He was playing well and we have the best running game in the league. Keep Weeden in and RUN the ball. Pass some when you need to, and pick up the stinkin' blitz.

Romo was hurt and we risked hurting him further, maybe enough to put him out for the season. Not smart. The team did numerous things that were not smart, and that's why we lost. This was a totally winnable game.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
Perhaps if the OL could protect him but that wasn't the case yesterday.

They were sending more than the line could pickup. When that happens the QB has to make adjustments. Could the line have played better? Yep. Is it al on the O line? No way no how.

Craig

Eddie

Reaction score
Without knowing for certain the extent of Romo's back injury, I would not have put him back in. Winning the game is not worth risking Romo's long term health. It's just a game. Winning is not everything. Romo could have wound up in a wheelchair. Safety is the primary concern. That's why we have a backup QB.

Lazyking

Reaction score
No. Not just cause he was injured but because the Commanders clearly played their defense differently. Romo couldn't handle the blitz and could have gotten killed coming back in and almost did. This wasn't a playoff game. Not saying we forfit the loss, but Romo's health is way more important.

That game didn't decide whether we get the one seed let alone make the playoffs. Hell, maybe Weeden wins the game.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER:

IF YOURE GOING GO BE AN IDIOT OR TROLL AND WILL NOT CONTRIBUTE ANY FORM OF DISCUSSION DO NOT BOTHER REPLYING. THIS IS A SERIOUS DEBATEABLE TOPIC AND THIS THREAD IS LOOKING FOR SERIOUS THOUGHT AND DISCUSSION.

Ok, now that stage has been set... should we have let romo come back to the game or should of let the "hot hand" aka weeden stay in. The points scored were when weeden was filling in and it appeared we were more productive offense wise for that quarter and a half. I personally, think that if the starter is able to play, he should be put back in the game despite the outcome. Hindsight is indeed 20/20 and we MIGHT of won it if weeden would of stayed in. The 49ers most recently was in a similar situation when Alex smith got hurt and kapernick (despite if you
Think he sucks or not) was the "hot hand" and the HC kept him in the game despite Alex smith returning from injury and went on a hot streak. I am in no way insinuating that weeden is on the same level of kapernick or that he is the savory of our franchise, what am I saying for THIS GAME should we had let weeden finish the game?

Excellent topic and spot on disclaimer..lol

FWIW, I would have stuck with Weeden. Sticking with Weeden would have almost assured us that more emphasis would have been on the run where it should have been down the stretch. Romo goes to the locker room after laying on the field for several minutes and he miraculously recovered? I knew he took a shot as soon as he walked back out of the tunnel. NFL teams have to be more responsible IMO. Major risk placing Romo back in there and, by doing so, the stage was set for the hero mentality to take over. The hero mentality is not what got us to 6-1. My 2 cents.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Sorry Cow Gals, Coach Jerry should of kept 'Smokin' Weeden' in the game, he'd of had a better chance than "Vicodin Tony" to make the Foreskins D pay for back/back to back/back all out blitzes.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Weeden, here my supporting evidence.
Romo accounted for 7 points and 4 or sacks in 2 1/4 quarters of football before he went out.

Weeden 10 points in 1 3/4 quarters. Without his 10 pts there is no OT.

But here is my reason why I would not have played Romo. He hurt is back, missed almost a whole half and there was only 2:00 left on the clock. The team collected 10 points in his absence. I would have played the hot hand.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
When I saw how the whole team responded after Romo went out, .. I thought, "how cool, they are going to go out and win this thing for Romo."

Then Murray busts a long one.

Wish we left Weeden in.

romothesavior

Reaction score
At the time, I wanted Romo. I wanted him to heroically lead the team back, get adorned with praise, etc.

But after thinking about it, I think Weedon should have stayed in. Bad call, IMO.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
When I saw how the whole team responded after Romo went out, .. I thought, "how cool, they are going to go out and win this thing for Romo."

Then Murray busts a long one.

Wish we left Weeden in.

That is one big difference I saw in this game compared to 2010 when Romo went out. This team actually had heart. That's a positive.

Coy

Reaction score
Romo, no doubt, if he got the OK from the doctors you roll with your franchise QB and you live with the results.

Look at it the other way, he gets the OK but Garrett sticks with Weeden, we end up losing the game but everybody knows Romo was cleared to play, how would Garrett look?

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Excellent topic and spot on disclaimer..lol

FWIW, I would have stuck with Weeden. Sticking with Weeden would have almost assured us that more emphasis would have been on the run where it should have been down the stretch. Romo goes to the locker room after laying on the field for several minutes and he miraculously recovered? I knew he took a shot as soon as he walked back out of the tunnel. NFL teams have to be more responsible IMO. Major risk placing Romo back in there and, by doing so, the stage was set for the hero mentality to take over. The hero mentality is not what got us to 6-1. My 2 cents.

Thanks breh :). this is one of the rare thread posts where no one is whining and crying like children. If I wanted to hear that id talk to my mother or my girlfriend. I come to this board for...
Dare I say.. Football discussion ??

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With medical approval, and after whatever sideline tests the coaches need to be comfortable that the player is able to play, you dance with who brung ya. In fact, I think it's kind of a no-brainer in that regard.

I was really glad to see Weeden look good on his series, though. Makes me feel better about the prospect of him getting snaps in a pinch. With our running game, and if our LBs don't fall apart, he can win us some games.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With medical approval, and after whatever sideline tests the coaches need to be comfortable that the player is able to play, you dance with who brung ya. In fact, I think it's kind of a no-brainer in that regard.

I was really glad to see Weeden look good on his series, though. Makes me feel better about the prospect of him getting snaps in a pinch. With our running game, and if our LBs don't fall apart, he can win us some games.

On a tragic, and related, note. Looks like I'm gonna have to update my sig pic, huh?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
On a tragic, and related, note. Looks like I'm gonna have to update my sig pic, huh?

Wow. You pulled a me. You quoted yourself..lol. 7-2 here we come. That film room is going to be active this week. Love it. Reality check!

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Romo was quoted in the post game presser as saying a player can assess what amount of pain he can play through and Tony thought he could handle this. (paraphrase)

So if Romo was hurting and Weeden had the hot hand, why would you:

1. Take out the hot hand
2. Risk injury to Romo

When healthy Romo is far and away better. But an injured Romo harkens back to the 9er game.

I thought then before hearing the statement and think now after hearing it the move to put Tony back in was a poor decision.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
If your best player (debatable, i know, but he is the face) asks back int he game, with the game still in balance.. and you're willing to let him back in... he goes in...

would i have let him back in the game? no..

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Weeden is quite possibly the worst quarterback in the league for that situation based on his 2012-2013 seasons where he struggled mightily against pressure. So of course, putting him on the 3 yard line and having him need to do a bunch of adjustments at the line in a new offense against a zero blitz is the perfect situation for him :rolleyes:

Romo would literally have to be less than 0% for me to want Weeden over him (in that situation).