Was it the right decision?

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
In hindsight, no.

Weeden had played well but if Romo says he can go, then you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, after his miserable last series in regulation, I think it was clear that he wasn't right and a healthy Weeden gets us to within Bailey's range, IMO.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
It was 1 game ( that we managed to tie up ), you don't risk your entire season ( with half of it left to go ) by allowing your CLEARLY not OK Franchise QB back out there. You let Weeden finish the game & hope Romo is available the following week.

DTown214

Reaction score
It's easy to say now that we should've stayed with Weeden... but I would have definitely put Romo back in the game at the time. It's one of those things that if it would've worked out, coach Garrett is a genius... but since it didn't, we're all questioning it.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
It was 1 game ( that we managed to tie up ), you don't risk your entire season ( with half of it left to go ) by allowing your CLEARLY not OK Franchise QB back out there. You let Weeden finish the game & hope Romo is available the following week.

No you play your starting QB no matter what. He was cleared to return, it was a divisional game on the worlds biggest stage.
Jerry said so.;)

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Romo was quoted in the post game presser as saying a player can assess what amount of pain he can play through and Tony thought he could handle this. (paraphrase)

So if Romo was hurting and Weeden had the hot hand, why would you:

1. Take out the hot hand
2. Risk injury to Romo

When healthy Romo is far and away better. But an injured Romo harkens back to the 9er game.

I thought then before hearing the statement and think now after hearing it the move to put Tony back in was a poor decision.

Interesting you bring up the niners game, because a few years back an injured romo lead us to victory....
I think emotion, and romanticism determined him going back in the game more than common sense....

Air Force One

Reaction score
I would have kept Weeden in simply because Romo was obviously hurt. But then again, we leave Weeden in and he throws a pick, we're all freaking out today that our starter who wanted back in was denied the opportunity in lieu of a scrub backup.

Really the whole thing was a no win...unless we had just won the game. Then either way we wouldn't care who led us down the field. This whole conversation is only happening because we lost, which is what happens when you lose. Hopefully we don't make a habit of it. That's al I really care about now. That, and Romo getting healthier.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I would have kept Weeden in simply because Romo was obviously hurt. But then again, we leave Weeden in and he throws a pick, we're all freaking out today that our starter who wanted back in was denied the opportunity in lieu of a scrub backup.

Really the whole thing was a no win...unless we had just won the game. Then either way we wouldn't care who led us down the field. This whole conversation is only happening because we lost, which is what happens when you lose. Hopefully we don't make a habit of it. That's al I really care about now. That, and Romo getting healthier.

zactly.

pancakeman

Reaction score
It was a tough call. I would have leaned towards Weeden. But the fact that the Cowboys needed a quick, long drive at the end of regulation, it does seem like Romo was the best bet to make it happen, even hampered as he might have been. The man knows how to run the two-minute offense, and I would guess that's one of the more difficult things for a relatively inexperienced backup to accomplish.

Hoov

Reaction score
Weeden was in for ten plays and he had a hot hand? I disagree. He missed Dez twice in the endzone, and nobody was within 20 yards of Jason Witten on the touchdown throw. Plus, he fumbled a handoff to Murray that was nearly a disaster. Romo gives the Cowboys the best chance to win; and if he's physically able to function, he should play.

He didn't miss dez twice. Dez dropped the sexing pass. It was a good pass

benson

Reaction score
Romo should not have played. Remember the last game against Washington? He played through the game only to find out AFTERWARD he had destroyed his back. It's a 17 week season, he was laying on the ground like he took a bullet. Let the backup do what he is being paid millions to do, and he looked like he was out there about to earn every dollar of it.

Romo comes back in, offense goes back to being utterly ineffective.

Hoov

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER:

IF YOURE GOING GO BE AN IDIOT OR TROLL AND WILL NOT CONTRIBUTE ANY FORM OF DISCUSSION DO NOT BOTHER REPLYING. THIS IS A SERIOUS DEBATEABLE TOPIC AND THIS THREAD IS LOOKING FOR SERIOUS THOUGHT AND DISCUSSION.

Ok, now that stage has been set... should we have let romo come back to the game or should of let the "hot hand" aka weeden stay in. The points scored were when weeden was filling in and it appeared we were more productive offense wise for that quarter and a half. I personally, think that if the starter is able to play, he should be put back in the game despite the outcome. Hindsight is indeed 20/20 and we MIGHT of won it if weeden would of stayed in. The 49ers most recently was in a similar situation when Alex smith got hurt and kapernick (despite if you
Think he sucks or not) was the "hot hand" and the HC kept him in the game despite Alex smith returning from injury and went on a hot streak. I am in no way insinuating that weeden is on the same level of kapernick or that he is the savory of our franchise, what am I saying for THIS GAME should we had let weeden finish the game?

I would have kept weedon in. Romo did not show any evidence that he had figured out how to make a play against the blitz before he was hurt. If he showed me something before getting hurt I might feel different. But as it was he did not do anything to get me to think he would handle that blitz healthy so why would I think he was going to get it right now that he is hurt.

There is also the chance for further serious injury.

Furthermore your back up Qb came in and did exactly what you want him to do and managed to lead the team to a quic 10 points. Why have a back up Qb who is capable and not give him a chance to finish the job when he has just done what you wanted him to.

To me it's a no brainer.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Betrayed by autocorrect! :oops:

shaquille-oneal-yeah-right-face.jpg
:D

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I would have stuck with Weeden only due to the possibility of Romo taking another vicious hit and going back out. Weeden looked pretty sharp out there but if Garrett had thought Weeden would have lead us to victory, he would have went with him. Garrett had a perfectly made excuse in Romo's safety but he didn't. Garrett sees Weeden in practice and we don't...

Romo looked unprepared from the beginning. He could not handle the blizes. He moved protection repeatedly to the wrong side.

IDK how a team will play against Weeden when they have the chance to actually game plan for him. But the Commanders looked affected by a QB who has some zip on the ball. He made it look easy moving the ball with our offense where Romo always seems to have to make the impossible play to keep drives alive. Weeden found not only free Receivers but uncovered by a mile.

To me i wouldnt had let Romo back in. Especially because he played medicore from the start of the game. Weeden was hot entering the game. We had nothing to lose so why not keep momentum ? QB controversy ? Not with the good excuse of Romos back injury and playing it safe.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER:

IF YOURE GOING GO BE AN IDIOT OR TROLL AND WILL NOT CONTRIBUTE ANY FORM OF DISCUSSION DO NOT BOTHER REPLYING. THIS IS A SERIOUS DEBATEABLE TOPIC AND THIS THREAD IS LOOKING FOR SERIOUS THOUGHT AND DISCUSSION.

Ok, now that stage has been set... should we have let romo come back to the game or should of let the "hot hand" aka weeden stay in. The points scored were when weeden was filling in and it appeared we were more productive offense wise for that quarter and a half. I personally, think that if the starter is able to play, he should be put back in the game despite the outcome. Hindsight is indeed 20/20 and we MIGHT of won it if weeden would of stayed in. The 49ers most recently was in a similar situation when Alex smith got hurt and kapernick (despite if you
Think he sucks or not) was the "hot hand" and the HC kept him in the game despite Alex smith returning from injury and went on a hot streak. I am in no way insinuating that weeden is on the same level of kapernick or that he is the savory of our franchise, what am I saying for THIS GAME should we had let weeden finish the game?

No. For one you gotta let your franchise player, "Live to fight another day." Romo was not physically able to perform like his better days, something was wrong early on and it got worse with every hit. Would you continue to run your $$$ horse in a race if he crashed violently out of the trailer and clearly injured himself prior to the event? No, so why do it to a human? Why pay a backup and not use him in these situations? It's negligence, pure and simple. This is 100% Jerry, Garrett was overruled.. And anybody with half an eyeball could see the difference last night between Weeden and Romo, clearly Brandon is healthy and the better option at this juncture...

rpntex

Reaction score
If your starter (and team leader) says he can go, and the medical staff clears him to get back in there, you put him back out there.

If Weeden goes back out there, and Dallas still loses, this place goes nuts as soon as people find out Romo could have played.

kevm3

Reaction score
Weeden was in for ten plays and he had a hot hand? I disagree. He missed Dez twice in the endzone, and nobody was within 20 yards of Jason Witten on the touchdown throw. Plus, he fumbled a handoff to Murray that was nearly a disaster. Romo gives the Cowboys the best chance to win; and if he's physically able to function, he should play.

He hit dez right in the chest. Dez dropped it.