Was it the right decision?

rpntex

Reaction score
The Commanders were daring Weeden to throw the ball. They didn't blitz near as much as they did with Romo. Wouldn't you do the same?

mrmojo

Reaction score
I would have kept Weeden in and let Tony play another day. What would we be saying today if he didn't get up from that next hit....just not worth the risk for the team or his family.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
No. Not just cause he was injured but because the Commanders clearly played their defense differently. Romo couldn't handle the blitz and could have gotten killed coming back in and almost did. This wasn't a playoff game. Not saying we forfit the loss, but Romo's health is way more important.

That game didn't decide whether we get the one seed let alone make the playoffs. Hell, maybe Weeden wins the game.
I would not have put him back in after seeing him negotiating with the doctors to let him play, seems like. If you have to convince them, then you probably are worse off than you think. Your back is a precious thing man, don't throw your life away over this one game. A lot of people probably would have been up set had we lost with Weeden, but at that point, just let Weeden finish the game.

This would have, as others have said, forced Linehan to throw out GArrett's typical game plan of throwing it when your runner is dominant.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It was a tough call. I would have leaned towards Weeden. But the fact that the Cowboys needed a quick, long drive at the end of regulation, it does seem like Romo was the best bet to make it happen, even hampered as he might have been. The man knows how to run the two-minute offense, and I would guess that's one of the more difficult things for a relatively inexperienced backup to accomplish.
I'm guessing you didn't see the two minute drill before half time. Yuck...

visionary

Reaction score
If the doctors clear your starting QB to play, in a one score/tight division game, you put him in

Right decision IMO

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I think they should have gone with the same plays that they used with Weeden. They went run heavy when Weeden was in and had that excellent play call to get Witten wide open.

In OT they ran Murray for 8 yards, then went three straight passes against all out blitzes when they could have easily picked up the first by giving the ball to Murray. Heck, the routes were even suspect. They all appeared to be longer routes instead of short ones. If they had to pass, they could have thrown that same pass to Dez that they did on the touchdown if they wanted that two yards. I blame the Linehan more than I blame Romo.

djmajestik

Reaction score
Great way to start a thread, insulting members calling them idiots.

Probably sick of all the stupid comments and just wanted a good topic and debate. And he didn't insult anyone, he just said he didn't want "trolls" to post. So as long as you aren't trollin', what's to worry about?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I think we should have stayed with Weeden. He was more mobile, was at 100% health, and had just proven he could lead the team down the field to score just fine. Our team has been dominating with the run so the QB doesn't have to do quite as much. Romo is a better QB but you just don't know how he is feeling mentally and physically sometimes and he won't take himself out of the game.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I would've stayed with Weeden, had Romo not had a history of back troubles I may have let him back in. The team just looked sharper with Weeden though.

Quite simply. He should not have come back.

The blitz got through every time,
History of Back problems
Possible season ending injury
Weeded was seeing things better

We have a dumb fudgin owner. The game meant nothing. Nothing. Nada.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it was the wrong call.

Not only because Romo obviously wasn't 100%, but because the team was moving the ball and having success with Weeden.

And I feel strongly that the change negatively affected play-calling, resulting in the team getting away from the successful run game and once again getting 'pass-happy' to their ultimate demise.

Plankton

Reaction score
It was the wrong decision. I state that emphatically.

Romo is one of the toughest, if not THE toughest players in the league. There was no question that he was going to try to return and play. Hell, when he broke his collarbone against the Giants, he tried to sneak back in, and was pulled back to the sideline.

That being said, football players are like boxers in that they ALWAYS believe that they can overcome an ailment and continue to perform. Similar to a cornerman in boxing, a coach has to look out for his players, and ensure that he is not putting that player/team in a position to fail, and or expose the player to further injury due to a lack of being able to protect themselves. The Cowboy coaching staff failed in this big time on Monday.

Romo could not throw with any velocity, and was incapable of protecting himself when it was on him to account for extra rushers in blitz situations. He was literally a sitting duck out there incapable of performing at his normal level due to injury. It's not a knock on Romo, just my thoughts on the situation.

There's a difference between playing hurt and playing injured.

Deep_South

Reaction score
By now we know Tony is going to want to play as long as he can physically get himself out there to the huddle. The doctors gave him the OK, and I don't think there is anyone on the Cowboys who is willing or able to keep him off the field except the doctors. Tony is just going to play until he can't play no more.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I question the belief that Tony was found to be OK by the Doctors. Again, there was no MRI available so the idea that any Doctor could judge him to be 100% is faulty, IMO. Now, could the Doctors have said that there is no visible structural damage to the back? Sure, they could have absolutely said something to that effect but that doesn't mean they said he was healthy. The fact that he was having to argue the point suggests that the Medical Staff did not, in fact, believe he was healthy IMO. When's the last time you saw a Dr. argue with a player about playing when he was healthy?

I don't fault Tony for wanting to go back in. Heck, I wouldn't want a player on the team who didn't want to play, whatever the circumstances. To be a great football player, I believe you have to posses this kind of attitude. However, that's different then actually being able to go. That's why you have a Medical Staff. That's why you have coaches and trainers. It's because players are not the best judges in every situation.