News: Was Prescott's Rookie Season A Fluke?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Here we go again. Gotta love the media. They see a young gun doing what veteran's can't even do in his rookie season and it's called a fluke. I guess he'll just have to prove himself over and over AND OVER. Was the media this tough on Worthlisberger, Brady or even Wodgers (misspelled intentionally) in their rookie season? Of course not. They weren't drafted by the Cowboys. No wonder Jimmy Kempski PhillyVoice Staff writer is so upset. Ten to one, he read the same article. :D

Every NFL season provides us with a number of breakout players. Some prove to be flukes, while others carry that momentum into the next season and become bona fide stars. Let’s take a look at some of the breakout stars of 2016 and determine which category they fall into…

As someone who has written about the influence a good supporting cast can have on a quarterback’s performance, I totally understand why many are questioning Prescott’s tremendous rookie campaign. Quarterbacks dream of playing behind the Cowboys line and having a back like Ezekiel Elliott to lean on.

But there is nothing flukey about Prescott’s game. From Day 1, the fourth-round pick exhibited veteran-like poise in the pocket and a willingness to get through his progressions that you just don’t typically see from rookie passers. And he doesn’t get nearly enough credit for his pre-snap abilities. Prescott was consistently tinkering with protections and play-calls before the ball was snapped.

If anything, Prescott should be even better in 2017.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/nfl...ak-prescott-vic-beasley-jordan-howard-cowboys

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Here we go again. Gotta love the media. They see a young gun doing what veteran's can't even do in his rookie season and it's called a fluke. I guess he'll just have to prove himself over and over AND OVER. Was the media this tough on Worthlisberger, Brady or even Wodgers (misspelled intentionally) in their rookie season? Of course not. They weren't drafted by the Cowboys. No wonder Jimmy Kempski PhillyVoice Staff is so upset. 10 to 1, he read the same article. :D

Every NFL season provides us with a number of breakout players. Some prove to be flukes, while others carry that momentum into the next season and become bona fide stars. Let’s take a look at some of the breakout stars of 2016 and determine which category they fall into…

As someone who has written about the influence a good supporting cast can have on a quarterback’s performance, I totally understand why many are questioning Prescott’s tremendous rookie campaign. Quarterbacks dream of playing behind the Cowboys line and having a back like Ezekiel Elliott to lean on.

But there is nothing flukey about Prescott’s game. From Day 1, the fourth-round pick exhibited veteran-like poise in the pocket and a willingness to get through his progressions that you just don’t typically see from rookie passers. And he doesn’t get nearly enough credit for his pre-snap abilities. Prescott was consistently tinkering with protections and play-calls before the ball was snapped.

If anything, Prescott should be even better in 2017.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/nfl...ak-prescott-vic-beasley-jordan-howard-cowboys
He's for real

I think just one followup season will shut the remaining doubters up.
Just one
:hammer:

I really like his odds
:flagwave:

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course anything is possible. But I would be shocked if he doesn't pick up right where he left off, AT LEAST. He want's to be great and is not afraid to put in the work and watch the film to be great, so the odds are in his favor. The leadership deal is something you either have or you don't and he has more than he needs..I would not bet against him.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
A fluke season? I understand somebody having a fluke game, but not a entire fluke season. You don't throw 23 TDs to 4 Ints on a fluke. Will Dak play as well in 2017 as he did in 2016? Possibly not, but the fluke stuff is just silly talk.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A fluke season? I understand somebody having a fluke game, but not a entire fluke season. You don't throw 23 TDs to 4 Ints on a fluke. Will Dak play as well in 2017 as he did in 2016? Possibly not, but the fluke stuff is just silly talk.

The doubters would say RG3. I think 20TDs and 5ints. But I think the combo of arrogance and fragility are what doomed him. Neither apply to Dak.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think questions after an unworldly rookie season for a fourth-round QB thrust into the starting role are natural and nothing that should concern us. It would be unnatural if some didn't question whether it was a fluke.

Of the quarterbacks mentioned, Roethlisberger is the only one similar since he started his rookie year, but he also was a first-round draft choice so some degree of success was expected. Prescott surprised the NFL last year, doing the absolute unexpected, so he's not going to be treated the same as a first-round rookie or players who were in the league several years before making their first starts.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think questions after an unworldly rookie season for a fourth-round QB thrust into the starting role are natural and nothing that should concern us. It would be unnatural if some didn't question whether it was a fluke.

Of the quarterbacks mentioned, Roethlisberger is the only one similar since he started his rookie year, but he also was a first-round draft choice so some degree of success was expected. Prescott surprised the NFL last year, doing the absolute unexpected, so he's not going to be treated the same as a first-round rookie or players who were in the league several years before making their first starts.
The irony is that what they hold against him is why others are in awe of him - he was a fourth round pick who had the best rookie season for an NFL QB - ever.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just stepping in here....
I definitely dont think Dak is a fluke. Agreed.

Those that do see a possibly big dropoff are just looking at two fairly recent examples of
1) RG3.... Rookie of the Year (20/5, 102 rating)
and
2) Nick Foles....2nd year phenom, but 1st full tine starter, . (27 TDs, 2 ints, 119 rating.. in 13 games)

But most of us have rehashed why we think DAK IS NOT going to regress like they did.
Time will tell

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Kid has won everywhere he goes ........ people always doubt him and he proves them wrong.

He is just a winner.
It's funny how people go out of their way to discredit Dak.

If/when we win another Super Bowl, it'll be because:

1. Offensive line, not Dak or Zeke
2. Refs gave us the game, Jerry paid them
3. We didn't win, the other team lost
4. Etc.

It'll be glorious.

Scotman

Reaction score
What they will say, and have said, is that Dak benefited from an amazing O-line. But...I just read something that said Philly will have the best O-line in the NFL this year. So, Wentz should be even better than Dak has been..right? I also keep reading about the Cowboys' success being a product of having an amazingly healthy year. To that, I would say that losing your starting QB, your back-up QB, and your starting WR for any length of time would be devastating. It sure was the year before. Except it wasn't last year. Dak kept things afloat until help arrived. Except he kept that help on the bench.

Dak has done this at every level he's ever played on. He's not just good. He's the kind of good that ALWAYS gets to play on a better team than everyone else. At some point, his level of GOOD is the reason the teams are better.

I can't wait for the season to get started.