Was the number one problem on the D addressed?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
S3-Ot3h-Z5bcy8o.gif

3o85x-F9v-VIn-NI6-KAl-G.gif

BX4k-Wy-Jc37bc-Q.gif

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think they have really high expectations for Cox. He was the reason Smith got released. He’s coming back from injury this year. LVE is on a one-year deal which means he’ll ball out

LVE was in a contract year last year and was below average imo.

Hopefully the coaching staff is right about Cox but he’s a second year player coming off a major injury. Expecting him to be an upgrade only shows how bad we were at the position last year

Haimerej

Reaction score
Greg-

You asked me why we need a 1 tech. I told you why and you said, "but Lilly was the strength of the team." So I brought up Pugh as a good 1 tech opposite him. Your response is, "but Lilly was better."

Are you just bored?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Did you read the post about the positions being about alignment?
Yes, thanks.

The fact Lilly was Tech 3 and Pugh was Tech 1 helps clarify for me.

Sounds like we need both but the priority should be Tech 3 with greater talent.

The fact both of our HOF DT were first round picks and this GM has ignored isn’t acceptable. Even Jimmy used a 1st round on DT Russell Maryland.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg-

You asked me why we need a 1 tech. I told you why and you said, "but Lilly was the strength of the team." So I brought up Pugh as a good 1 tech opposite him. Your response is, "but Lilly was better."

Are you just bored?
No, I’m trying to clarify what the priority should be. Sounds like we need both but our history would suggest Tech3 should be the greater talent.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I am a Hog and he didn't help with theirs but they were over the top on pass D and played that umbrella that many teams adopted against high octane pass teams. He is a large individual.
he was a state wrestling champ.
like osa.
this seems to be a trend with dan quinn and dt's...long arms...wrestling background.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
There is a fundamental flaw with our GM that kills us every year. He believes his own sales pitch and thinks if he drafts them or signs them, they are automatically really good.

What’s even worse- He believes going into every season the best of best case scenarios. The GMs winning SBs are the ones who have a critical eye of their own work and assume nothing will go as planned. In short, the best GMs don’t believe the sales pitch given to their fans each year. In Big D, our GM 100% believes his own sales pitch. Thus the last 26 seasons and counting.

Oh….And it doesn’t appear that this team addressed its lack of run stopping ability in this draft. Time will tell.

That is my main concern too..... stopping the dammmm run. Every season we go in with who are our pass rushers and ignore the run stuffing big uglies and middle linebackers. We got a big DT, but if we are gonna depend on LVE to stop the run that is a recipe for disaster.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Greg-

Are you just bored?
I had a feeling that's who you were talking to.

cowboyec

Reaction score
People tend to forget Lve was one of our best players down the stretch once our DL got healthy, he actually was one of the few that played well against the 49ers
agreed.
im glad we got him back.
still a fan of the player.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good stuff.

And 1 techs are invaluable when they collapse the pocket and make some plays. It's not an accident that Cincy was 5th vs the run w/ monstrous playmaking NT Reader in the middle. They don't make the super bowl w/o him.

Incidentally, the Rams were 6th. It's almost impossible to get to the super bowl if you can't stop the run.

Year before, TB was 1st. Year before NE was 6th.

To win a super bowl, you must have some big hosses up front on D, guys who can anchor and shut down the middle. Makes everything work on D.
Yep. Pretty much a 1 demands a double team or he is on the qb. Quickly. They can take on the double and at least get a arm on the runner to stop or slow it down. Gets a push on pass downs so the qb don’t have a pocket to step into. Do it consistently..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Our 2 biggest problems have been stopping the run and pressuring the passer. If we had taken Johnson at 24 and Jones at 56 we could have impacted both problems but we had already predetermined that we will take OG in rd 1 and Williams in rd 2 so we picked who we did.
If the OG can be a improvement over Williams then I am ok with it..

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Some of you just want something to piss and moan about, I realize that now. Forgive me I actually come on to hear news about my team, see what new comers we've acquired

I forgot some just come on here to piss all over everything. Every play, every move by the FO, the Coach EVERYTHING!

Pardon me, forgot where I was

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some of you just want something to piss and moan about, I realize that now. Forgive me I actually come on to hear news about my team, see what new comers we've acquired

I forgot some just come on here to piss all over everything. Every play, every move by the FO, the Coach EVERYTHING!

Fan forums really aren’t the place for news coverage. There’s ample other online sites. This is place for fans to offer their opinions and discuss with more critical thinking.

If you just want to cheer the team on I’d suggest our FB page or official website.

Glad you could add to the pissin n moanin:)

plasticman

Reaction score
It is very rare that you fix a problem with a rookie. Besides, if we are talking about a team wide issue then it's going to take more than one player at more than one position to fix.

Poor run defense is related more to team culture, coaching, and personnel decisions made by management.

Actually, the Cowboys began to address the issue last season with the acquisitions of Parsons, Osa and Bonhama. This is where you can expect the improvement, as well as the experience given to the safeties. You can expect better cohesion after playing a season under Quinn.

They added an additional run stopper when they drafted Ridgeway.

Given a healthier defensive line, there should be significant improvement in the run defense this season.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

It's okay, just try to remember from now on.

Haimerej

Reaction score
No, I’m trying to clarify what the priority should be. Sounds like we need both but our history would suggest Tech3 should be the greater talent.

In general your 3 tech gets better numbers just due to the nature of the two positions. On this team right now, between the two, 1 tech is a bigger hole. Being able to not give ground changes the angles your LBs take, so they can play more downhill.

I can't believe all these years you've followed @kskboys and you're just now finding out this difference. One of the issues why they can't stop the run is Jerry keeps putting 3 tech types at that 1 tech position.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is very rare that you fix a problem with a rookie. Besides, if we are talking about a team wide issue then it's going to take more than one player at more than one position to fix.

Poor run defense is related more to team culture, coaching, and personnel decisions made by management.

Actually, the Cowboys began to address the issue last season with the acquisitions of Parsons, Osa and Bonhama. This is where you can expect the improvement, as well as the experience given to the safeties. You can expect better cohesion after playing a season under Quinn.

They added an additional run stopper when they drafted Ridgeway.

Given a healthier defensive line, there should be significant improvement in the run defense this season.
6Ruw2uO.jpg