Was Travis Frederic a Hall of Fame center?

RS12

Reaction score
Would have been. Best center this team ever had. As mentioned career not long enough. Made line calls, could handle nose tackles one one, could get to the 2nd level, everything you could want in center.

Jkyle

Reaction score
He was on his way but his disease prevented him from achieving it. He was a beast and highly intelligent.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I'd say no. He had 1 All Pro and two second team All Pro's with his last one being in 2015. He retired in 2019....damn good center but seems like he didn't have enough All Pros. Its tough to make HOF as a lineman.
Fair point, but 2 things to counter that:

1. Maurkice Pouncey and Alex Mack are on the 2010s all decade team for centers, and Mack had a worse All Pro resume than Travis Frederick (Three 2nd team appearances, no 1st team).

2. Pouncey overshadowed Frederick early on in AP all pro mostly due to his pedigree coming out of Florida rather than being superior on the field. But by 2016, most people rightly recognized that Frederick was better (IIRC).

I think if Frederick had've continued playing well until at least 2020, he likely would have been the top pick for 2010s all decade team, and likely a shoo in for the HOF.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
No.

There's only a couple centers in the HOF.

He didn't do anything different for the position that hasn't been done before.

ProwBowl doesn't equal HOF

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
YES !!!! HOF enshrinement does not weigh length of career, nor should it. Gayle Sayers and Terrell Davis and Sterling Sharpe would have NO shot !

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was on track but retired too soon. He simply didn’t play long enough and center is a tough position to get elected. There are 9 centers in the HOF and they average 14 seasons.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Fair point, but 2 things to counter that:

1. Maurkice Pouncey and Alex Mack are on the 2010s all decade team for centers, and Mack had a worse All Pro resume than Travis Frederick (Three 2nd team appearances, no 1st team).

2. Pouncey overshadowed Frederick early on in AP all pro mostly due to his pedigree coming out of Florida rather than being superior on the field. But by 2016, most people rightly recognized that Frederick was better (IIRC).

I think if Frederick had've continued playing well until at least 2020, he likely would have been the top pick for 2010s all decade team, and likely a shoo in for the HOF.
I think with Alex Mack him being All Decade means he was the best center of that decade so that trumps his lack of All Pro appearances. I honestly don't remember the consensus on who was better between Pouncey and Fredericks. Both were highy regarded.

XXLMike

Reaction score
He was only 28 - he would have needed to play until 35 ish @ a high level.