Was Travis Frederic a Hall of Fame center?

TheFinisher

Reaction score
In 2014 I remember thinking this is just the start of watching these young guys dominate for a decade.

Who would have guessed Frederick would have that auto immune disease in 2017 and Tyron’s body would start to break down.

Just terrible luck. Kelce and Lane Johnson are both older than Travis and Tyron, never had any health setbacks and are still playing at a high level.

Their careers, combined with what I watched happen with Dez Bryant, who was the same age as AJ Brown is currently when he had his All Pro season in 2014 before breaking his foot the next year and never being the same, taught me to appreciate the now because the NFL is truly ‘Not For Long’

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He had the talent but not the longevity. He was always the second or third best center in the league. Maukice Pouncey and Jason Kelce are the only two centers that I would say were better during his playing days, and those centers took a number of those AP #1's. That's damn good company to be in. Give him another 8 years and a few more AP's and I believe he'd be in. Best center we ever had.
But he hasn’t been an All Pro since 2015. If he never got sick I agree though.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Maybe, but we'll never know. That was a setback right there.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
No but he played like one early on. Man i wish we could get back to that 2014 OL

starfan1

Reaction score
No but he played like one early on. Man i wish we could get back to that 2014 OL
you aint wrong from 14-18 this line was the best and it wasnt even close. Now they live off of that repuattion and its nowhere near that good. I think losing Leary and Tfred were huge losses

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
"Travis Frederic" sounds like a French Canadian Center that plays on the fourth line of the Edmonton Oilers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
True, but I don't think anyone holds losing All-Pro to Jason Kelce a few years against him. Kelce is truly one of the best centers to ever play in the NFL.
It wouldn't be held against him i'm just saying its tough to get in that whole of fame as a center...typically throw in the best 2 or 3 if that.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
It wouldn't be held against him i'm just saying its tough to get in that whole of fame as a center...typically throw in the best 2 or 3 if that.
Yeah, true. Since 2004, only two pure centers have been elected into the Hall: Kevin Mawae (3x AP 1st team) and Dermontti Dawson (7x AP 1st team). Kelce is 5x 1st team AP, maybe six after this year. He will get in--he has more 1st team AP's than any of the good centers waiting to get in. I considered Fredbeard just a notch below Kelce.

It's crazy to think that the NFCE at one time had the two best centers and LT's (Tyron, Peters) in the NFL playing at the same time for a few years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.

There's only a couple centers in the HOF.

He didn't do anything different for the position that hasn't been done before.

ProwBowl doesn't equal HOF
HOF doesn't require a player to do something no other player had ever done before.

It just requires a player to be among the best at his position for some period of time, and that time period is entirely up to voters..

Because statistical comparisons are much harder with O-Linemen than most positions, voters typically look for how long the O-lineman played at a high level, and things like Pro Bowl and All Pro can factor into it.

Sadly for Frederick - and the Cowboys - he didn't have that longevity, so we will never know if he could have made it to the HOF.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, true. Since 2004, only two pure centers have been elected into the Hall: Kevin Mawae (3x AP 1st team) and Dermontti Dawson (7x AP 1st team). Kelce is 5x 1st team AP, maybe six after this year. He will get in--he has more 1st team AP's than any of the good centers waiting to get in. I considered Fredbeard just a notch below Kelce.

It's crazy to think that the NFCE at one time had the two best centers and LT's (Tyron, Peters) in the NFL playing at the same time for a few years.
Hell man don't forget Trent Williams either. Some dogs at left tackle. Honestly....add in Joe Thomas and those might be the 4 best left tackles from that era...three from the NFC East...and. Trent is still playing....hell Tyron technically is too I guess.

But yeah I was trying to find how exclusive that list is to make it as a center is extremely hard. Martin may be a shoe in....I don't even know if Tyron is at this point.

I think a better question though is Fredericks a ring of honor candidate?

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Yes, if he continued to play. He was consistently rated above Kelce when he was playing.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Hell man don't forget Trent Williams either. Some dogs at left tackle. Honestly....add in Joe Thomas and those might be the 4 best left tackles from that era...three from the NFC East...and. Trent is still playing....hell Tyron technically is too I guess.

But yeah I was trying to find how exclusive that list is to make it as a center is extremely hard. Martin may be a shoe in....I don't even know if Tyron is at this point.

I think a better question though is Fredericks a ring of honor candidate?
Martin is in for the HoF. Fredbeard better be in the ROH!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Had he not retired?
Likely, yes. IF he hadn't gotten the disease.
He was as good as Jason Kelce.
But his shelf life was short, and the disease robbed him of strength and a couple topflight seasons.