Was Travis Frederic a Hall of Fame center?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Travis Frederick was a very good player, but not on track for the Hall of Fame unless he was able to play at a high-level for 15 years. Longevity can earn a few Hall of Fame votes.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I think with Alex Mack him being All Decade means he was the best center of that decade so that trumps his lack of All Pro appearances. I honestly don't remember the consensus on who was better between Pouncey and Fredericks. Both were highy regarded.
Right the comment about Mack was mostly about how All-Pros aren't necessarily everything.

Mack was never the best center in the league, but he was always in the top 3-5 conversation and his pro-bowls reflect that. He was a consistently great player.

Frederick's resume lacks that consistency, but only because his illness sidelined him for before the start of his 6th season. The years that he did turn in were on par with what Tyron Smith has done, and it's widely considered that Tyron will be in the HOF.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I'd say no. He had 1 All Pro and two second team All Pro's with his last one being in 2015. He retired in 2019....damn good center but seems like he didn't have enough All Pros. Its tough to make HOF as a lineman.
He had the talent but not the longevity. He was always the second or third best center in the league. Maukice Pouncey and Jason Kelce are the only two centers that I would say were better during his playing days, and those centers took a number of those AP #1's. That's damn good company to be in. Give him another 8 years and a few more AP's and I believe he'd be in. Best center we ever had.

Mark

Reaction score
The Cowboys have had some great centers over the years. Dave Manders, John Fitzgerald, Mark Stepnoski. I think we all wish Travis, and all the magnificent talent he brought to the table, could have hung around longer. Hope he is doing well today.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With a long enough career he would've been worthy, but the HOF backlog is such that it wouldn't have happened.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I'd say no. He had 1 All Pro and two second team All Pro's with his last one being in 2015. He retired in 2019....damn good center but seems like he didn't have enough All Pros. Its tough to make HOF as a lineman.
Agreed. Even if he had a few more good seasons he would of probably been viewed more in the Jeff Saturday/Olin Kreutz tier (aka the hall of very good for centers) vs being viewed in the Jason Kelce/Kevin Mawae tier of hall

jay94

Reaction score
He was headed that way, you don't play for as little as he did and get there, so no.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Hall of Fame voters are not going to put three O-linemen from the same team in the HOF when they never even reached a conference championship game.

It would take at least 2 SB championships for HOF voters to justify all three entries.

Right now, we might get one, probably Martin. I don't see Tyron getting in first ballot but eventually, perhaps.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Had he not retired?
50-50
Very few centers make the HOF.
He would have had to beat out Kelce. Might have. Travis was beating Kelce from 2014-2016, but lost to him in 2017. Was Travis already starting to fade from disease in 2017, or had Kelce overtaken him?

Losing Travis was a huge blow to the Cowboys. Smart, tough, a leader, and HOF quality. My favorite player.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Frederick's resume lacks that consistency, but only because his illness sidelined him for before the start of his 6th season. The years that he did turn in were on par with what Tyron Smith has done, and it's widely considered that Tyron will be in the HOF.
2014-2016 Fredbeard was AP1 or AP2. That's some serious consistency. Likely he was already taking a downward turn in 2017.

John813

Reaction score
Retired too young to get the potential accolades to become one.
He was a great center, that career was cut short.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
2014-2016 Fredbeard was AP1 or AP2. That's some serious consistency. Likely he was already taking a downward turn in 2017.
I meant consistency AND longevity.

TFred was great every year he played. He was weak in pass pro year one, but dominant from day one in run blocking.

I didn’t view him as having a downturn season in 2017 that wasn’t directly tied to an underachieving team