Was Travis Frederic a Hall of Fame center?

Tussinman

Reaction score
Right now, we might get one, probably Martin. I don't see Tyron getting in first ballot but eventually, perhaps.
Tyron will most likely get in within 3 years. 1st team all decade, 8x pro bowl, 7x NFL top 100, and 2x for both first and 2nd team all pro. Those stats for a premier position (LT, DE, QB) are lock for Canton

The closest tackle with his accolades is Orlando Pace (him and Tyron are very close in accolades) and Pace got in 2nd ballot

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'd say no. He had 1 All Pro and two second team All Pro's with his last one being in 2015. He retired in 2019....damn good center but seems like he didn't have enough All Pros. Its tough to make HOF as a lineman.
He was first-team All-Pro in 2016 and made All-Pro three times despite only playing six years. And the last year, he wasn't the same coming back from GBS, so essentially it was five years. Realistically, his only chance of making All-Pro after 2016 was in 2017 since GBS cost him the 2018 season. Without GBS, there's no telling what he would have accomplished in 2018 and 2019.

stiletto

Reaction score
5 more years of Pro Bowl play and I say Yes.. probably one of the more unfortunate careers even though it was great while it lasted.

plasticman

Reaction score
Tyron will most likely get in within 3 years. 1st team all decade, 8x pro bowl, 7x NFL top 100, and 2x for both first and 2nd team all pro. Those stats for a premier position (LT, DE, QB) are lock for Canton

The closest tackle with his accolades is Orlando Pace (him and Tyron are very close in accolades) and Pace got in 2nd ballot
Orlando Pace has a Super Bowl ring. That is significant.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Had he not gotten sick then I say yes. HE was superb at his peak and one of the key criteria for election to the HOF was to be considered the best at your position for some years.
HE said a while back that his doctor said he was suffering from GBS before the symptoms became apparent. So probably a year before he was diagnosed it was already having an effect.
Baring injury I see no reason why he would not have racked up enough ALL PROS and PRO BOWLS to be elected one day.

GORICO

Reaction score
Had he not retired?
no doubt had he played longer....i remember looking at his grades at combine...19 bench is weak...so slow in 40...i thought we screwed the pooch

but i was DEAD WRONG...its all about understanding defense and putting body in correct angle to defender at center and of course calling out

defense to the line....and he was best center we ever had...but although others had come back from the disease he had....his body was not coming

back like he thought...i totally get why he retired....we all miss Travis Fredbeard....our current center although from same University that is known for

training good lineman is not like Travis....Travis although what a 31st pick in 1st round? was a true blue 1st round talent

Tussinman

Reaction score
Orlando Pace has a Super Bowl ring. That is significant.
For non skill position players it's rarely a significant aide in enshrinement and Cantons voting history shows this. The other 2 all decade tackles that will make Canton quick (Jason Peters and Joe Thomas) neither played in a Superbowl although Peters did technically have a Ring while on IR.

At very best Tyron with a superbowl ring gets him in 1st or 2nd ballot instead of a more likely 3.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I meant consistency AND longevity.

TFred was great every year he played. He was weak in pass pro year one, but dominant from day one in run blocking.

I didn’t view him as having a downturn season in 2017 that wasn’t directly tied to an underachieving team
2017 didn't stop Martin from making 2nd Team All Pro.