Wash Rinse Repeat

Rayman70

Reaction score
Been a long time true fan since I could walk ..1973-ish lol...and boys & girls, its getting harder each year that passes, especially in free agency. Is it me or does it seem like the front office(not will mcclay)..but the Jones' , keep doing the very same failed tactics over and over again as if it were the Movie Ground Hog Day? Haven't WE seen this show before, where we bargain bin hunt and let some solid, thrifty signee's go to other teams? How did Deon Thompson work out for us last offseason after we signed him from the bargain bin? How did Tavon do? See the trend? So why then, employ the very same tactics AGAIN?!!!! Its a fail. The excuse after the draft was that Seattle was being unreasonable and wanted too much for Thomas. Ok, here we are, and still no ET, even though he has significantly lowered his asking price. What gives? Are the Jones' THAT delusional, or is it pure myopic ineptitude? Is this a Garrett tactic in the way we sign or don't sign guys? This fan of 46 years is very concerned going forward about a repeat of what we saw in the late 1980's where the Cowboys looked like a mid level college team and totally lost their way, luster. My take is this, we failed to evolve with the game in the late 1980's...and we know what sadly happened to Landry. I sense its happening again and I am guilty of not seeing this before now. Its been going on for 20 years if we think about it. Jerry and Stevie seem too content with past achievements. History seems to be repeating itself. TELL ME I AM WRONG. Sorry for being a pain guys...I am normally not on my soap box ranting...TRYING TO MAINTAIN SOME SANITY HERE.Tell me how we can sensibly salvage the direction of the franchise and the culture on and off the field. How can we salvage THIS offseason in free agency and what would be the 1 or 2 moves ,player wise, that we can make..that would redeem the FO to a degree? For me, its Earl Thomas for starters,but after that, I know we need to fix the interior dline. Throw some names at me in free agency that MIGHT help. Thanks , Go Cowboys!!

Sydla

Reaction score
Been a long time true fan since I could walk ..1973-ish lol...and boys & girls, its getting harder each year that passes, especially in free agency. Is it me or does it seem like the front office(not will mcclay)..but the Jones' , keep doing the very same failed tactics over and over again as if it were the Movie Ground Hog Day? Haven't WE seen this show before, where we bargain bin hunt and let some solid, thrifty signee's go to other teams? How did Deon Thompson work out for us last offseason after we signed him from the bargain bin? How did Tavon do? See the trend? So why then, employ the very same tactics AGAIN?!!!! Its a fail. The excuse after the draft was that Seattle was being unreasonable and wanted too much for Thomas. Ok, here we are, and still no ET, even though he has significantly lowered his asking price. What gives? Are the Jones' THAT delusional, or is it pure myopic ineptitude? Is this a Garrett tactic in the way we sign or don't sign guys? This fan of 46 years is very concerned going forward about a repeat of what we saw in the late 1980's where the Cowboys looked like a mid level college team and totally lost their way, luster. My take is this, we failed to evolve with the game in the late 1980's...and we know what sadly happened to Landry. I sense its happening again and I am guilty of not seeing this before now. Its been going on for 20 years if we think about it. Jerry and Stevie seem too content with past achievements. History seems to be repeating itself. TELL ME I AM WRONG. Sorry for being a pain guys...I am normally not on my soap box ranting...TRYING TO MAINTAIN SOME SANITY HERE.Tell me how we can sensibly salvage the direction of the franchise and the culture on and off the field. How can we salvage THIS offseason in free agency and what would be the 1 or 2 moves ,player wise, that we can make..that would redeem the FO to a degree? For me, its Earl Thomas for starters,but after that, I know we need to fix the interior dline. Throw some names at me in free agency that MIGHT help. Thanks , Go Cowboys!!

It's not that they do the same thing over and over. It's more that they seemingly deal in extremes.

They blew money in FA and it bit them in the butt. So their reaction was to go the opposite direction completely and not spend any money at all in free agency other than the bargain bin and backup types they sign.

They went through HCs like no one's business and it didn't work out for them. They changed direction and now will stick with Garrett to the point he's looking like our own version of Marvin Lewis.

There is seemingly no middle ground for these guys.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They are drafting well but quit making a FA splash. They cannot put the 2 together. You can draft well and make a FA splash. They aren’t over paying on many contracts anymore but you cant low ball either. Sign our players and get players you need that are proven through FA. The draft is mostly a gamble that these kids are going to translate to the NFL. There is a few exceptions, RB usually translate. We knew Elliot was gonna be good so I had no problem with that pick.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
It's not that they do the same thing over and over. It's more that they seemingly deal in extremes.

They blew money in FA and it bit them in the butt. So their reaction was to go the opposite direction completely and not spend any money at all in free agency other than the bargain bin and backup types they sign.

They went through HCs like no one's business and it didn't work out for them. They changed direction and now will stick with Garrett to the point he's looking like our own version of Marvin Lewis.

That's not the problem. The problem is they refuse to admit that they don't know what they are doing, and look for outside help.

Rayman70

Reaction score

well said, they seem bipolar , right? Funny enough, our team takes on that same persona.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That's not the problem. The problem is they refuse to admit that they don't know what they are doing, and look for outside help.
look at the fact that we could have traded for Cooper last offseason, and maybe even gotten him for a 2nd...but the idiot known as Stevie Jones decides against it and then when the wheels fall off, HE FINALLY does what he should have done!! Never have I witnessed such myopic delusional people...only Al Davis ranks higher lol.

John813

Reaction score
With all there money they should buy the right people and let them do the job. This team is a hobby to them.

But then Jerry doesn't get the credit for building a SB winning team.
He really wants to win, his way of course with himself getting the credit for assembling the team.

tm1119

Reaction score
Just read this board and you see why there is no change. When you have a fanbase without testicular fortitude that accepts regular season wins as their SB, why would there be change? Jerry is a business man 1st and foremost and he has a business model that is making him $ hand over fist...and playoff success isn’t a necessity to that business model. There will be no changes until something happens to Jerry’s bottom $

Rayman70

Reaction score
Just read this board and you see why there is no change. When you have a fanbase without testicular fortitude that accepts regular season wins as their SB, why would there be change? Jerry is a business man 1st and foremost and he has a business model that is making him $ hand over fist...and playoff success isn’t a necessity to that business model. There will be no changes until something happens to Jerry’s bottom $
that's a sad factoid. He has his gold jacket, has 3 rings, and in his eyes, its all he needs and is content. He's been told how genius he is for so long he is jaded beyond repair. I think its a prevalent culture that has infected every level of the franchise. Its the same thing that happened in the mid to late 1980's. The culture had gotten country clubbish and content, stagnant. Stagnation seems to be the main thing that we are fighting and our FO IS completely fine with that.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
If only Jerry would have bought another team instead of the Cowboys........the Cowboys name and history has carried Jerry more than he's carried the Cowboys.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

You get it,,but there is a middle ground,, but the key is actually hitting on those middle ground propects, and I thought, I feel that they have been improving in that area,
IE.. Joe Looney
Joe Thomas
miss.. any FB we ever sign.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Repeating the same stupid pattern over and over and expecting better results

What is a Cowboy Fan?

75boyz

Reaction score
that's a sad factoid. He has his gold jacket, has 3 rings, and in his eyes, its all he needs and is content. He's been told how genius he is for so long he is jaded beyond repair. I think its a prevalent culture that has infected every level of the franchise. Its the same thing that happened in the mid to late 1980's. The culture had gotten country clubbish and content, stagnant. Stagnation seems to be the main thing that we are fighting and our FO IS completely fine with that.

Unfortunately, your post here and tm1119's that you replied to not only summarize the current state of affairs with regards to the Dallas Cowboys but also the actual future of the team as well.
And that is to say, as your OP implied as well as this post, that things will remain the same and there will be no change.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
This team is really talented but just not in the right places.

That’s a reflection of good drafting, but poor FO work in Trades and FA.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

:hammer::hammer::hammer:Yes, their corrective was to go to the opposite extreme, no balance.