Washington shows Rush's limitations

terra

Reaction score
I’m frustrated more than the rest. I’ve been waiting longer. Prescott is not the issue. The problem is he took over for Tony. And he’ll never get the respect he deserves.
Respect is earned over time. To be blunt, outside of playing well what has he really done that is all that spectacular?
Now obviously the fact that the Cowboys suck in the postseason is clearly not all his fault; but he has to own some of it; last year for sure.
Cowboy fans frankly should not be satisfied with anything except Championships or playing for them. Despite Jethro.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Respect is earned over time. To be blunt, outside of playing well what has he really done that is all that spectacular?
Now obviously the fact that the Cowboys suck in the postseason is clearly not all his fault; but he has to own some of it; last year for sure.
Cowboy fans frankly should not be satisfied with anything except Championships or playing for them. Despite Jethro.
The highest scoring offense in the league last season,

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let’s see, Byron Jones not getting deep enough to stop the pass from Aaron Rodgers. Ezekiel Elliott tripping over his own ego on the goal line against the Rams. I don’t know what else he supposed to do. I guess everything

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Washington got him throwing off his back foot a lot yesterday. Better teams/defenses will expose why he’s been a career backup. Yesterday was the weakest game he’s had so far this season but our defense and a couple of calls against Washington that negated 2 INTs bailed him out.
Lol..Weakest game? So you ignore his QBR and QB rating. Highest this season for him yet as well as his highest scoring performance. He's only getting better, which makes sense as he get more familiar with the starters and also getting Gallup back.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I think establishing the run is probably the only way. I was a little disappointed yesterday that we were so insistent on running inside and didn't try to hit the edges against a defense with two first-rounders in the middle. Our key with Rush has really been running and play-action, but not necessarily for downfield shots like against Washington, but to get some favorable matchups in the passing game and open some things up.

How I think teams are going to counter is by bringing the safeties up closer to the line of scrimmage (not necessarily in the box, though). That gives them extra run defenders and players in the short zones. It essentially dares you to go deep against the one-on-ones and show that you can burn it. I don't think we showed that we could burn it yesterday without defenders committing penalties. So we'll have to run successfully, making them load the box even more tightly, or hit those big plays to make them back off the run and short passing game.
Man I hope they try that and leave us the deep ball to kill them there.

visionary

Reaction score
I think we all know by now that Cooper Rush is a high-IQ quarterback who makes quick decisions but doesn't have great arm strength. The Commanders essentially challenged him to go deep and if they weren't so handsy with our receivers, it would have worked.

He completed one of the deep play-action passes (to Brown, two were interceptions erased by penalty and at least one other turned into pass interference. Those were all go routes.

Even though we scored 25 points with help from those penalties, I would think this would be considered the blueprint for beating Rush. Play the run and the short stuff and force Rush to try to go over the top. With better corner play, there's a good chance you'll be able to catch up before the ball gets to the receiver unless it's a throw like he made to Brown, which happened only once on those routes.
Mand how exactly is this different than the blueprint for Dak

Stop the run
Take away the short passes
Dare him to throw deep accurately

no difference

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Funny how this has become sort of a 'revenge mission' for those die hard Dak supporters to go after Rush for the very things that those that question Dak have gone after him before. The difference is Rush is a back-up QB showing Dak what needs to be done to win and how the offense should go in future games. The question is can Dak learn to approach the game differently and stop trying to throw 600 attempts/year and instead stay within himself and manage the game? Time will tell.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The two picks he threw were ill advised passes from the get go. Especially the first one. That was a pressure pick.

The Rams are going to be very tough to beat. But they also need to worry about Stafford. He's not exactly mobile, and not the greatest under pressure. I'm more worried about the Eagles game. Their QB is highly mobile and they have a great run game. They don't need him to be Tom Brady, just make a few passes. I'm hoping Dak is back by Philly.
Philly has a defense with a decent secondary now. That's bad news for Dak! If he plays like he did his last two games he needs to be on the bench quit wasting everyone else's efforts.

foofighters

Reaction score
All good things come to an end.
I am very glad Cooper has helped the team to 3 straight wins.
But does anyone still believe this will keep up going against the Rams and the Eagles.

It could, I hope it does. But don’t be shocked at some sacks and picks in the up coming games. So we need to hope the team is good enough to overcome any.
In all fairness, Dak didn't leave much to be desired before he got hurt in the first game either. I don't expect much these next two games but it doesn't really have much to do with our QB play. Dak has proven he can win games and now Rush has also proven that he can show up (we just need to see if Rush can sustain that). One could say that Dak was rusty and off. Who's fault is that? Did Dak keep Dak out of the preseason? I've never understood that thought process of keeping guys out of the preseason. They all need reps at game time speed and I truly hope that was Dak's issue.

Flamma

Reaction score
Philly has a defense with a decent secondary now. That's bad news for Dak! If he plays like he did his last two games he needs to be on the bench quit wasting everyone else's efforts.

I want to see what he does. I don't want to hear people claiming we lost because Dak, the NFC East killer, wasn't playing. It's easy to beat on teams that suck, lets see just how much better he is than Rush. The Eagles don't suck this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lol..Weakest game? So you ignore his QBR and QB rating. Highest this season for him yet as well as his highest scoring performance. He's only getting better, which makes sense as he get more familiar with the starters and also getting Gallup back.

He had a number of bad throws in this game throwing off his back foot. He tossed a couple of picks that were negated due to penalties. One of his INTs would’ve been picked off even if the receiver hadn’t been held. Had those picks stood that would’ve affected his QBR. We had to settle for 4 FGs last Sunday. We continue to win because of our defense.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think we all know by now that Cooper Rush is a high-IQ quarterback who makes quick decisions but doesn't have great arm strength. The Commanders essentially challenged him to go deep and if they weren't so handsy with our receivers, it would have worked.

He completed one of the deep play-action passes (to Brown, two were interceptions erased by penalty and at least one other turned into pass interference. Those were all go routes.

Even though we scored 25 points with help from those penalties, I would think this would be considered the blueprint for beating Rush. Play the run and the short stuff and force Rush to try to go over the top. With better corner play, there's a good chance you'll be able to catch up before the ball gets to the receiver unless it's a throw like he made to Brown, which happened only once on those routes.
They did, but still lost.
I will take that combo please!

lukin2006

Reaction score
If Rush didn’t have limitations he’d be starting somewhere. But he’s winning. So somehow he is overcoming his weakness…

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I’m frustrated more than the rest. I’ve been waiting longer. Prescott is not the issue. The problem is he took over for Tony. And he’ll never get the respect he deserves.

He has had over 6 years to earn respect and it has nothing to do with Romo but rather Dak's own limitations for this team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think the fact that we've won three straight with Rush should show that Prescott has not been the issue. Some may look at that backward, as in we lost the first game this season with Dak, so that shows that he's the issue.

The truth is the defense wasn't good enough to win with (except maybe a year or two) when Romo was here and hasn't been good enough to win with with Prescott at QB. And we've seen what has happened in the past most years when we've had to play a backup QB. This year, though, the defense has been good enough to win with with a backup starting. Not trying to take anything away from Rush's play, but if the defense wasn't dominating, we wouldn't be talking about him being 4-0 as a QB. His numbers also would likely look worse because he'd be forced to try to make more plays to overcome a bad defense.

Doomsday took up the slack when Staubach and the offense had its struggles and Doomsday 2 took up the slack when Aikman and the offense had down moments. Neither Romo nor Prescott had that benefit. So far this year, it seems like we do. I hope they can keep it up because Doomsday 3 is likely what will determine whether we can return to the big game or come up short again.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The problem is Jerry who runs the organization based on what's best for marketing not for winning a championship. If he did he would have known to insert Romo back into the lineup in 2016 in preparation for post season. Knowing he would retire that off season and he has his QB of the future

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Teams with the talent will force Rush to throw outside...we need to do everything we can to keep him throwing in the seam and in the middle..